Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Traffic chaos at the Menin Gate Memorial.

chrislock

"Lord knows what will happen next year."

The Ypres tills will be ringing with good cheer for the local's

regards

Tom

Roger from Cavells b&b has just informed me that the coach park alongside the Menin Gate Memorial is already full and in reality they should not be there until 7.30pm and then only for an hour.

By tonight these and more coaches could be backed up along the Hornwerk as they were recently which was partly responsible for the negative press release. That's the moment local residents will have parking issues and to be honest here, I can't blame them.

It must be very difficult for the LPA on occasions!

Neither Steve. It is an established shop who have now purchased a second shop in order to make even more money over the 100 years commemoration! I believe it's called expansion to meet demand with double the profit!!

I see, but maybe they have to as the landlord has doubled their rent from Jan 1914. As long as he keeps getting me my St Sixtus, I'm happy :) Much better than the plastic chocolate shops who x bribe x encourage tour drivers and guides to use their shops.

Isn't it amazing how members of this forum feel empowered to tell the good burgers of Ypres how to run their town

From what I have heard, there are a good number of bad Burghers as well who have seen a four year gravy train coming and got in quick. Personally it does not bother me that much as I never go to the Menin Gate now and only visit the centre to pick up the families favourite choc.s and beer. I actually prefer to stay on the coast and drive in when I want to.

Will Ypres be a ghost peace city in 1919 - answers on a postcard

John - I would think that the only people who would applaud such a scheme would be the civil servants employed to (try to) administer it, because it would create a vast amount of bureaucracy whilst having little effect on the problem. Wouldn't it be better to create an out of town coach park (which could surely be done within 3 km of the Menin Gate) and then allow larger coaches to make brief drop-off and pick-up stops in the area about the Grote Markt , the cathedral, or the eastern side of the Menin Gate ? The existing coach spaces by the cathedral could be redesigned and designated to take a larger number of the smaller tour vehicles, say up to 8-10 seaters (with such smaller and less obtrusive vehicles continuing to have unrestricted parking elsewhere).

Aurel makes some very pertinent points in post #35.

Tom

Traffic management permit systems are fairly simple to operate Tom & a permit fee could cover the cost of what you call bureaucracy. I disagree that it would do little to help the problem. Traffic (coaches) could be managed & it would give the authorities advance notice of how many coaches were going to be there. By the way, I'm not trying to tell anyone how to run their town, I'm just offering an opinion.

John

By tonight these and more coaches could be backed up along the Hornwerk as they were recently which was partly responsible for the negative press release. That's the moment local residents will have parking issues and to be honest here, I can't blame them.

Chris - in the UK the local authority would paint some double yellow lines in the relevant places and put up a couple of waiting restriction signs - and engage a couple of blokes in a van with some wheel clamps. Too complicated for the authorities in Wipers ? - If they allow unrestricted coach parking then they can hardly whine at the inevitable outcome.

Traffic management permit systems are fairly simple to operate Tom & a permit fee could cover the cost of what you call bureaucracy...

John - maybe in Milton Keynes - but Ypres is built like a medieval city.

Tom

So is MK albeit one imagined by Dante (such as Pandemonium chief city in Hell!)

Tom

All the more reason to develop a traffic management plan Tom.

John

I haven't been for many years.

It upsets me to read what it now seems to be like, and I do not think I will ever return - I'll stick with my memories.

I'm booked to attend next October when we remember the London Jocks' first appearance, but I'm not convinced it will be a huga barrel of fun.

Otherwise, I'll stick, like Mr Drill and Barbra Streisand, with the memories.

Are there any quiet evenings at the Menin Gate any more? About 5 years ago I went on a freezing night in January and there were only about 40 people there including a group from a Canadian school. When I went the same time the following year there were about 200 people there and I have never seen any lower numbers since.

Neil

I remember times when I was alone, apart from the two buglers and the cop stopping the traffic. I recall being morose at what seemed like the lack of interest or awareness, similarly borne out by cemetery visitors books which had not had an entry for months.

And yet, and yet . . . . . is it better now ?

... All the more reason to develop a traffic management plan Tom.

John

John - absolutely. - I outlined the appropriate traffic plan in the first part of post #59 :thumbsup:

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be better to create an out of town coach park?

How about an out of town replica Menin Gate?

Sorry - ignore the depressed ex-pat who's been watching the cricket :doh:

There is a replica Menin Gate !

But it is in miniature ....

For the blind.

And it is on the ramparts next to the ... Menin Gate ... :-(

Maybe for mini-coaches ? :-)

Aurel

post-92-0-09406600-1386426658_thumb.jpg

An interesting read. I, like many, have visited Ypres on a number of occasions. My first visit was about 1986 the last 2012. The increase in numbers attending the sounding of Last Post has been marked. It has become more and more difficult to speak to the buglers after the ceremony and the number of, dare I say, sideshows has grown. Members have pointed out that the Menin Gate is a British memorial and that the provisions for the ceremony are a matter for the local authority. My understanding is that the buglers sound Last Post as a tribute to the men whose names are on the memorial. In my opinion the nearer the ceremony stays to that concept the better. I do not suppose for one moment that I am alone in being moved when I am there. But I am not in the majority, the cameras flash, the period of silence is lost. All due to the great numbers. Ypres was, I understand, carefully reconstructed as it was before 1914 that was, of course, before the days of motor coaches indeed of of mass tourism. Everyone seem to want to comemorate anniversaries. I not at all sure that 100 is any different than 87 or any number greater than 50 or so. I hope Ypres council can sort it out.

Old Tom

I have visited Ypres and the Menin Gate Last Post Ceremony on nine occasions now and am about to take my two eldest Grandsons to witness this event.Coach Parking is a problem as is the crowds who insist upon walking in the Road thus causing further problems.My suggestion is and have done this once is to use a Hotel inc Parking on the outskirts of Ypres.Take a Train or Taxi (We did) this prevents rushing around like headless chickens looking for your Coach after the Ceremony.

This can and does help.

• 4 weeks later...

How sad ? I concur with 'stoppage drill' ! I will be visiting the Leper area sometime this new year 2014.

I know its a significant centenary year of 100 years but to celebrate the 'beginning' of such senseless slaughter seems odd.

Having said that, I would never have dreamed that the gate would more resemble Paris DisneyLand than a War Grave and sacred site of remembrance.

However,I am visiting out of deep respect for an Uncle that died at the age of 18 and whose existence I have only recently discovered from a deep search of my family's history.From my discoveries I conclude that no surviving member of my family will have been able to have afforded the journey in the past.

I had intended to visit the Menin Gate as it is the only place in the world where there is any sign of recognition of his sacrifice. As an 'other rank' the battalion diaries record nothing of his existence.

His service records were totally destroyed by fire during WW2,good job they werent income tax records eh???,even his passing was disguised as "wounded" for the first month,then "missing,previously reported wounded" until it was finally accepted he was "KiA 31/7/1917". [Mustn't let the people know just what a waste of life we are responsible for,would be very bad for public morale,what ??] The Donkeys !

Somewhere out there in those fields are thousands of 'lions' still undiscovered and I think after reading this discussion I will just settle for saying a prayer across that salient and leave "the gate",the town and its traffic problems alone,I also cant stand chocolate so will not miss that opportunity.

Somewhere out there in those fields are thousands of men still undiscovered and I think after reading this discussion I will just settle for saying a prayer across that salient and leave "the gate" alone !.

I understand. Perhaps this forum can help you find the spot where he was killed, as members have done in so many other cases (like my great-grandfather)?

Roel

I visited several times in the 1980s and again in 2012 and the increase in numbers is staggering but I would never compare it to Paris Disneyland, it is still very much about remembrance.

WillEll why not go and pay your respects there during the day when it is quieter but do revisit for the last post ceremony and make you own mind up.