Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

• 2 weeks later...

Hello LF

can you check the following man for me please

Lt. E.S. Stephenson Brabants Horse appointed to Gloucestershire Regiment awarded around April 1901

Thanks

Paul

Lt. E.S. Stephenson Brabants Horse appointed to Gloucestershire Regiment awarded around April 1901

Paul,

Here is Lt. E.S. Stephenson's D.S.O. Recipient's Book entry, with his D.S.O. published in the London Gazette on 19 April, 1901.

He also being, a Gallipoli Died of Wounds received in action 6th March, 1915. :poppy:

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-87503700-1457115062_thumb.j

Thanks fantastically quick as ever.

I hope the information is helpful.

Regards,

LF

Is there anything on Lt George Mutch, Gordon Highlanders? Gazetted 14th March 1917.

Is there anything on Lt George Mutch, Gordon Highlanders? Gazetted 14th March 1917.

John,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for G. Mutch, which fortunately include his D.S.O. Citation.

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

MUTCH, G. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 12.3.1917 ), 2nd Lt. ( Temp. Lt. ). Gordon Highlanders. He was killed in action 6.7.1917. :poppy:

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 12 March, 1917 - War Office, 12 March, 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the appointments of the undermentioned Officers to be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field..................

MUTCH, George, Second Lieutenant ( Temporary Lieutenant ), Gordon Highlanders.

" For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during a raid on the enemy's trenches. He rallied his men and led them forward under heavy fire. Later with a few men he rushed an enemy post from the flank and captured the garrison. He was a magnificent example to his men, and to him was largely due the success of the raid. "

Regards,

LF

Much obliged.

Much obliged.

It was nice to have his D.S.O. Citation, as very few were published in the London Gazette.

Regards,

LF

• 3 weeks later...

Hi LF,

Would you be able to assist with this chap?

Percy Archer Clive - Grenadier Guards (attached to 1/5th Lancs Fus. at time of death)

Neil

Hi LF,

Would you be able to assist with this chap?

Percy Archer Clive - Grenadier Guards (attached to 1/5th Lancs Fus. at time of death)

Neil

Neil,

I can see no record of a Percy Archer Clive having received a D.S.O.

Regards,

LF

Ah, well that may explain why I can't find the entry in the London Gazette! (I thought it may have ben my lack of navigational skills)

Bit of a strange one this.

His MIC states he has the D.S.O., as does various internet sources, including his Wikipedia page (I know this is not a solid source)

His entry in the House of Commons Book of Remembrance does not make mention of a D.S.O., but tucked away in his service file is a letter from the House of Commons 'compiler' who gathered information for the remembrance book. He wrote to the War Office asking for details on Clive's D.S.O., as he wasn't aware of any such award but had received (or viewed) a document which states he did in fact receive the D.S.O. The 'compiler' received a reply confirming that the mention of a D.S.O. was an error, which clears up why there is no mention in the remembrance book.

However, within the same service records are further mentions of the D.S.O.

So, the evidence thus far is:

Evidence for D.S.O - stated on MIC, Service records and Wikipedia.

Evidence against - no trace in London Gazette or your book. Also, there is a letter in his file, (which contradicts other documentation in the same record), stating that he does not have the D.S.O.

Anyway, I thought I'd explain the situation to shed a little light on my query. You're 'look-up' has given me enough to confidently disgard the idea that he may have got a D.S.O.

Thanks L.F.

Very much appreciared as ever.

Neil

Evidence for D.S.O - stated on MIC, Service records and Wikipedia.

Evidence against - no trace in London Gazette or your book. Also, there is a letter in his file, (which contradicts other documentation in the same record), stating that he does not have the D.S.O.

Neil,

I checked the D.S.O. Recipient's Books again for an alternative spelling etc., nothing found, in fact, there is only one ' Clive ' listed, a G. S. Clive.

Regards,

LF

Thanks again LF,

Evidently there has been a number of errors recorded somewhere along the way!

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hi LF,

I'd be interested to see if the entry for Charles Evelyn Forrest has some info I don't already have (and a photo).

Many thanks,

Giles

I'd be interested to see if the entry for Charles Evelyn Forrest has some info I don't already have (and a photo).

Giles,

Here is C. E. Forrest's entry in the D.S.O. Recipient's Book, along with his photograph.

He received his D.S.O. on 27th September 1901, and was killed in action in Mesopotamia on 22nd November, 1915 :poppy:

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-05316300-1462280620_thumb.j

Many thanks LF,

Looks very similar to the entry from De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour I had.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Giles

post-119691-0-38530600-1462381965_thumb.

Looks very similar to the entry from De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour I had.

Giles,

Yes, very similar, with a little more information in the D.S.O. book.

Regards,

LF

Hi, is there an entry for Major John Allexander Findlay? maybe a photograph too?

Cheers

Glyn

Hi, is there an entry for Major John Allexander Findlay? maybe a photograph too?

Glyn,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Major J. A. Findlay :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book:

FINDLAY, J.A. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 ), Major 5th ( City of Glasgow ) Battalion ( Territorial ) The Highland Light Infantry. He was killed in action 8.11.1917 :poppy:

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1918 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field. Dated 1 Jan. 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ...............................

FINDLAY, John Alexander, Major, Highland Light Infantry.

No photograph unfortunately.

Regards,

LF

• 5 months later...

Hello LF

I had five great uncles serve in the First World War (I can't begin to imagine what their mother must have gone through - (their father died in 1895)) my problem is researching online with the common surname Watson, though faintly helpfully they were all Newall Watson.

Lt Col Campbell Newall Watson (Liverpool regiment) was always said (in our family) to be D.S.O. and bar. I have spent quite a lot of time online and found the first citation in the London Gazette in September 1917 but can't find the second - though some years ago I remember seeing something where his middle name was incorrectly spelled Newell, and elsewhere merely C.N Watson but unhelpfully there are quite a lot of those. I was wondering if he appears in your book as D.S.O. and bar. I would like to 'remember' him and put his war record on the Imperial War Museum 'Lives remembered'  website along with his brothers. (i'd also like to put him on the Wikipedia page recipients of D.S.O. and bar - if that is the case - but that page seems to have disappeared I know not why.)

One of his brothers was Captain (RN) Reginald James Newall Watson D.S.O. and similarly I have found a citation in the London Gazette but any more information from the book if he is in it would be gratefully received.

Finally, they had a brother Trevor Newall Watson MC. (5th Probyn's Horse). I do realise this is a D.S.O. page but any tip as to how to find out why he was awarded the MC. would be useful as I have got nowhere with that.

many thanks

Julian

Hi Julian

Welcome to the forum.

His medal index card states "App for 15 Star medal and Bar to DSO 14.1.24"...still looking..

Regards Barry

34 minutes ago, Julian said:

Lt Col Campbell Newall Watson (Liverpool regiment) was always said (in our family) to be D.S.O. and bar.

Julian

Julian,

Welcome to the Forum, and I do have the D.S.O. information you are looking for on both your great uncles, and I shall start with Lt. Col. C. N. Watson, and fortunately I can show you his Citations for both his D.S.O. and his Bar, as follows :-

WATSON, C.N. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 26.9.1917 ) ( details, London Gazette 9.1.1918 ) ( Bar, London Gazette 26.7.1918 ), Temporary Major ( Acting Lt.-Col. ), Liverpool Regiment ; Mentioned in Despatches.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 26 Sept. 1917 - War Office, 26 Sept. 1917.

His Majesty the King has been pleased to confer the undermentioned rewards for gallantry and distinguished service in the field. The acts of gallantry for which the decorations have been awarded will be announced in the London Gazette as early as practicable.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ...........................

WATSON, Campbell N. Temporary Major, Liverpool Regiment.

London Gazette, 9 Jan. 1918 - War Office, 9 Jan. 1918.

With reference to the awards conferred as announced in the London Gazette, dated 26 Sept. 1917, the following are the statements of service ( Citations ) for which the decorations were conferred.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ..........................

WATSON, Campbell N., Temporary Major, Liverpool Regiment.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty at a critical moment. Whilst commanding his battalion in an advance, he suddenly came under heavy artillery and machine gun fire, but he promptly deployed, attacked the enemy, and gained possession of a commanding position. This he not only held gallantly for four days, but was indefatigable in his endeavours to improve upon his success, and his courage and cheerful bearing had a marked effect in enabling his men to hold their own under most adverse weather conditions and continuous hostile shelling.

His D.S.O. Bar Citation will be next.

Regards,

LF

Julian,

Here is Lt. Col. C. N. Watson's Citation for his Bar to his D.S.O.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 26 July, 1918 - War Office, 26 July, 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following rewards to the undermentioned Officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

Awarded a Bar to the Distinguished Service Order .................................

WATSON, Campbell Newell, D.S.O., Temporary Major ( Acting Lieut.- Colonel ) Liverpool Regiment.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty while in command of his battalion during lengthy operations. His courage, cheerfulness and resource at all times act as a splendid example to his officers and all ranks under him, and his tenacity during several rearguard actions undoubtedly inflicted severe casualties on the enemy, and delayed his progress.

( D.S.O. gazetted 26 Sept. 1917 )

It is very fortunate for you to have both his D.S.O. and Bar Citations, as not too many were published.

I shall now give you the information on his brother Capt. R. J. N. Watson, D.S.O.

Regards,

LF

Julian,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Capt. R. J. N. Watson, D.S.O. , who like his brother is listed in the D.S.O. Recipient's Book as also being awarded a Bar to his D.S.O.

WATSON, R. J. N. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 15.6.1917 ) ( Bar, London Gazette 1.1.1919 ) Commander Royal Navy.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 15 June, 1917 - Admiralty, 15 June, 1917.

The King has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointments to the Distinguished Service Order to the undermentioned Officers, in recognition of their services in the operations described in this Commander-in-Chief's Despatch.

Despatch of Rear-Admiral E. Charlton, dated 28 Jan. 1917, describing the later coastal operations by His Majesty's Ships against German East Africa.

WATSON, Reginald James Newell, Commander, R.N. Was in charge of landing party at Bagamoyo on 15 Aug. 1916, and displayed great dash and energy in the face of unexpectedly superior forces.

Not only do you have confirmation of his D.S.O. but also the location of his D.S.O. action in German East Africa.

The Bar to his D.S.O. entry in the London Gazette is given in the D.S.O. Recipient's Book as 1.1.1919, although I could not find it under that date, so I shall check again just in case it is a misprint ?

Does any information you have, show he was awarded a Bar to his D.S.O. ?

Regards,

LF

Edited by Lancashire Fusilier