Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

Mike,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for your man :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

COCHRANE, Hon. T. G. F., B.A. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1919 ) ; born 19.3.1983 ; eldest son of 1st Baron Cochrane and Lady Gertrude Boyle, daughter of 6th Earl of Glasgow ; married Hon. Elin Douglas-Penant, daughter of 2nd Baron Penrhyn ; educated Eton ; Christ Church, Oxford ; served Europ. War, 1914-19 ; Major, Black Watch, S.R. ; wounded thrice ; Despatches thrice.

London Gazette :

London Gazette 1 Jan 1919. - War Office, 1 Jan. 1919.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in Egypt. Dated 1 Jan. 1919.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .........................

COCHRANE, Thomas George Frederick, Capt. ( Acting Major ), Royal Highlanders ( Special Reserve ), attached 2nd Battn.

Regards,

LF

Many thanks, LF.

Hi, Anything for James William Guy Symonds (Simonds)? Thanks.

In the 1916-23 D.S.O. Book, there is listed a :-

Symonds, G. T/Lt. Col., R.F.A.

Simmons, W. G. T/Capt., 7th Batt. R.W. Surrey R. ( also awarded the M.C. )

Could either of these be your man ? please confirm.

If not, his D.S.O. could have been awarded before 1916.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF. Not sure - he is a bit of a mystery. Was Lieutentant in RNVR until 1914 as Simonds then later emerged as Lt Col SYMONDS DSO in 1941. Guy could be the one. Jim

Thanks LF. Not sure - he is a bit of a mystery. Was Lieutentant in RNVR until 1914 as Simonds then later emerged as Lt Col SYMONDS DSO in 1941. Guy could be the one. Jim

Now there is listed a Simmonds, T. T/Sub-Lt. Drake Batt. R.N.V.R. but he was also awarded the M.C., and the D.C.M.

Here is the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Symonds, G.

SYMONDS, G. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 4.6.1917 ), T/Lt.-Col., R.F.A.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 4 June, 1917 - War Office, 4 June, 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field.

To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order : .........................

SYMONDS, Guy, Temporary Lieut. Colonel, Royal Field Artillery.

Regards,

LF

• 4 weeks later...

Hello LF,

I am researching my wife's distant relative who was awarded the DSO in the 1918 New Years Honours List, but I cannot find a citation for the award.

I understand that there may not be citations for awards issued in the NY Honours Lists, but forever hopeful that there may be something in your book.

The soldiers details from his record held at the NZ Archway site are :-

John Frederick Gwynther Richards. He was a Medical Practitioner who originally was in the R.A.M.C . and was attested to the NZEF on the 14/8/18. His address at that time is listed as Guys Hospital. His NZEF Number is 3/4083. He returned to NZ on the 24/4/1919.

I believe from Papers Past in New Zealand that he may have served between 1914 and 1918 in France, but don't have any other details.

Would be grateful for any additional info.

Best regards

Dale

John Frederick Gwynther Richards. He was a Medical Practitioner who originally was in the R.A.M.C . and was attested to the NZEF on the 14/8/18. His address at that time is listed as Guys Hospital. His NZEF Number is 3/4083. He returned to NZ on the 24/4/1919.

Dale

Dale,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for J. F. G. Richards, D.S.O.

RICHARDS, J. F. G., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P., M.B., B.S., ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 ) ; born 1887 ; son of J.G. Richards ; educated Wellington College, N.Z., Guy's Hospital ; Sir George Grey Scholar, Victoria College, University of New Zealand ; Gold Medal in Surgery, Guy's Hospital ; Capt. R.A.M.C. ; served Europ. War, 1914-18 ; 1914 Star.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1918 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field. Dated 1 Jan. 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order : .............................

RICHARDS, John Frederick Gwyther, M.B., Temporary Capt., Royal Army Medical Corps.

Regards,

LF

Good Morning LF,

Gee that was quick, you must have the book in one hand and the mouse in the other.

Capt. Richards seems to have been a brilliant medical fellow.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Regards

Dale

Capt. Richards seems to have been a brilliant medical fellow.

Dale,

Yes, he seems to have been one of the leading surgeons of his day, and I hope the information provided adds to your research.

Regards,

LF

Hello again LF,

Its funny how having 1 question answered always brings up another one.....

I wonder if you can help me with this query.

I've found more details on Capt. Richards from the National Archives Site, which gives the detail from the London Gazette, in which it states:- RMAC attd. N.L.T. Coy.

What was N.L.T Coy.

Regards

Dale

RMAC attd. N.L.T. Coy.

What was N.L.T Coy

Dale,

Not exactly sure what that abbreviation ' N.L.T.' is, as used in the context of your man ?

It could be National Leadership Training ? You may want to open up a new Thread asking members for their input, and hopefully, someone will know the answer.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

LF

Do you have anything for Captain Thomas Goodall (2/5th Duke of Wellington)?

Probably around November 1917

Many thanks

LF

Do you have anything for Captain Thomas Goodall (2/5th Duke of Wellington)?

Probably around November 1917

Many thanks

Neil,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Capt. T Goodall, D.S.O.

Fortunately, his nicely detailed D.S.O. Citation was also published in the London Gazette, as sadly, so many D.S.O. Citation were not published in the London Gazette.

GOODALL, T. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 4.2.1918 ) ( Details, London Gazette 5.7.1918 ), Lt. ( A/Capt. ), West Riding Regiment.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 4 Feb. 1918 - War Office, 4 Feb. 1918.

His Majesty the King has been pleased to confer the undermentioned rewards for gallantry and distinguished service in the field. The acts of gallantry for which the decorations have been awarded will be announced in the London Gazette as early as practicable.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ............................

GOODALL, Tom, Lieut. ( Acting Capt. ) West Riding Regiment.

London Gazette, 5 July 1918 - War Office 5 July 1918.

With reference to the awards conferred as announced in the London Gazette dated 4 Feb. 1918, the following are the statements of service for which the decorations were conferred.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order.....................................

GOODALL, TOM, Lieut. ( Acting Capt. ), West Riding Regiment. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When an attack was held up by heavy machine-gun and rifle fire, the commanding officer being killed and heavy casualties sustained, and there was grave danger of disorganization, he went forward amid a hail of bullets to locate the enemy, and signalled back to a platoon of his company to attack. With one man he dashed into a strong point, killing several of the enemy and this enable the platoon to capture an officer ad 58 other ranks and two machine guns, and to rescue an officer and an N.C.O. who were prisoners in the hands of the enemy. He showed magnificent courage and determination.

Regards,

LF

Can you give me some information on. CAPT/MAJOR R. D. WILLIAMS. WELSH R. Thank you. Lyn.

Lyn,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for R. D. Williams, D.S.O.

WILLIAMS, R. D. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 11. 1.1919 ), T/Major, 13th Batt. Welsh Regiment.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 11 Jan. 1919 - War Office, 11 Jan. 1919.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following awards to the undermentioned Officers and Warrant Officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ............................

WILLIAMS, Richard David, Temporary Major, 13th Battn. Welsh Regiment for conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This officer commanded the leading companies in the attack, gaining the final objectives in spite of stiff opposition, and supervising the consolidation under heavy machine-gun fire. He made a personal reconnaissance of the left flank, and, finding it exposed, made dispositions for its defence, which proved their soundness when the enemy were beaten off in several attacks. For two days he maintained his position in spite of one successful attempt to penetrate his line, which was immediately rectified.

Lyn,

As with the previous post, you are fortunate to have this nicely detailed D.S.O. Citation also published in the London Gazette, as sadly, so many D.S.O. Citation were not published in the London Gazette.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

Hi LF,

I have just recently purchased a miniature medal group as usual there is no or very little information on the recipient, ( in this case none) nevertheless, the group is unique CMG,MC,QSA with 6 clasps, WW1 Trio + oak leaf. I have just about completed my research and putting a name to the group, but when I viewed his MID card it states D.S.O. and underneath C.M.G, M.C. he is referred to in the conversation on the card as Lt Col Spencer-Clay C.M.G.M.C. only no mention of DSO. Therefore, after many hours of pain staking work going through Boer War medal roll and narrowing the field from all the Units that could have an officer who qualified and was issued with the 6 clasps on the QSA medal, I am hoping that there is an error on the MIC and he did not receive a DSO.

All rather long winded but could you please check in your book, his details are Lt Col Herbert Hendry Spender Clay 2nd Life Guards, note hand writing on card is Spencer which is also wrong.

Kind regards

Hiram

Hi LF,

I have just recently purchased a miniature medal group as usual there is no or very little information on the recipient, ( in this case none) nevertheless, the group is unique CMG,MC,QSA with 6 clasps, WW1 Trio + oak leaf. I have just about completed my research and putting a name to the group, but when I viewed his MID card it states D.S.O. and underneath C.M.G, M.C. he is referred to in the conversation on the card as Lt Col Spencer-Clay C.M.G.M.C. only no mention of DSO. Therefore, after many hours of pain staking work going through Boer War medal roll and narrowing the field from all the Units that could have an officer who qualified and was issued with the 6 clasps on the QSA medal, I am hoping that there is an error on the MIC and he did not receive a DSO.

All rather long winded but could you please check in your book, his details are Lt Col Herbert Hendry Spender Clay 2nd Life Guards, note hand writing on card is Spencer which is also wrong.

Kind regards

Hiram

Hiram,

My D.S.O. Recipient's Book covers the years 1916 - 1923.

However, there is a listing for a B. G. Clay, and that person has many similarities to those you listed, so here are that person's D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries, as follows :-

CLAY, B. G. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 20.10.1916 ) ( Bar, London Gazette 26.9.1917 ) ( Details, London Gazette 9.1.1918 ) ; born 15.5.1874 ; 2nd Lt. 5 D.G., 21.10.1893 ; Lt. 11.9.1895 ; Capt. 1.2.1901 ; Adjt. 16.6.1903 to 15.7.1906 ; Major 6.3.1907 ; Major 7th D.G., 6.2.1909 ; T/Brig.-Gen. 22.8.1917 to 16.4.1919 ; Lt.-Col., 7 D.G. 24.12.1918 ; served in S. Africa, 1899 - 1902 ; ( Queen's Medal with 4 clasps ; King's Medal with 2 clasps ) ; Europ. War, 1914-18 ; C.B., 1919 ; C.M.G., 1918 ; Despatches ; Bt. Lt.-Col. 3.6;.1917 ; D.S.O. awarded for services 25 June to 21 July, Somme.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 20 Oct. 1916 - War Office, 20 Oct. 1916.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the appointments of the undermentioned Officers to be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.................

CLAY, Bertie Gordon, Major ( Temporary Lieut.-Colonel ), Dragoon Guards.

For conspicuous ability and good service during prolonged operations. The success of his battalion in the attack was largely due to his personal example and resource.

London Gazette : ( Bar to the D.S.O. )

London Gazette, 26 Sept. 1917 - War Office, 26 Sept. 1917.

His Majesty the King has been pleased to confer of the undermentioned rewards for gallantry and distinguished service in the field. The acts of gallantry for which the decorations have been awarded will be announced in the London Gazette as early as practicable.

Awarded the Bar to the Distinguished Service Order :

CLAY, Bertie Gordon, D.S.O., Major and Brevet Lieut.-Colonel ( Temporary Lieut.-Colonel ), Dragoon Guards.

( D.S.O. gazetted 20 Oct. 1916 )

London Gazette : ( Citation for the Bar to the D.S.O. )

London Gazette, 9 Jan. 1918 - War Office, 9 Jan. 1918.

With reference to the awards conferred as announced in the London Gazette dated 26 Sept. 1917, the following are the statements of service for which the decorations were conferred.

Awarded the Bar to the Distinguished Service Order :

CLAY, Bertie Gordon, D.S.O., Major and Brevet Lieut.-Colonel ( Temporary Lieut.-Colonel ) Dragoon Guards. For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when commanding his battalion in support of an attack. Seeing that the leading troops were held up, and had not gained the important position which was their objective, he at once decided to co-operate with another battalion and attack the enemy. By this prompt and decisive action at a critical moment high ground of the greatest tactical importance was won, and the success of the attack ( which had to be conducted without the aid of artillery ) was mainly due to the personal gallantry and ability with which Lieut.-Colonel Clay lead his battalion.

( D.S.O. gazetted 20 Oct. 1916. )

Hiram,

Whilst only the surname of this officer matches ( Clay ), there are so many other matches, his Lt.-Col. rank, South Africa service, Queen's Medal with clasps, MID., and the D.S.O. and Bar., this could in fact be your Lt.-Col. Clay ?

Anyway, here are all his details, plus an excellent Citation to his Bar to his D.S.O. as published in the London Gazette.

This was the only ' Clay ' listed in the D.S.O. Recipient's Book for the years 1916-1923.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF,

Many thanks for that , I am really overjoyed that that confirms its not my man and he has not been awarded the DSO and this as I suspected is an error on the MIC. You are right about the similarities but I have a paper trail for Herbert Hendry Spender Clay from Boer War as a LT 2nd Life Guards with clasps issued QSA Medal, Relief of Kimberly, Paardeberg, Driefonteim, Johannesburg, Dimond Hill, Wittebergem. He did not qualify therefore he was not awarded the KSA Medal, His WW1 Trio Capt ADC 7th Div BEF entered theatre of war 2.11.1914 MID 17.2.1915,15.6.1916, 11.12.1917 & 6.7.1918. Brevet Major 1915 then Lt Col I believe 1917.

He Has the C.M.G. (The Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George) also the M.C. I have as yet to locate his Citations. Now thanks to you it looks like I have confirmed that the Medal group I have can be attributed to Lt Col Herbert Henry Spender Clay late 2nd Life Guards. I have attached the group so that you can have a look at it.

Thank you once again for you help and time.

Kind regards

Hiram

PS There is a possibility that Bertie Gordon Clay is a relative?

post-105358-0-97440500-1416958567_thumb.

Hi LF,

Many thanks for that , I am really overjoyed that that confirms its not my man and he has not been awarded the DSO and this as I suspected is an error on the MIC.

Hiram

PS There is a possibility that Bertie Gordon Clay is a relative?

Hiram,

I am pleased that my information has helped your research, and eliminates B.G. Clay and the D.S.O.

You have a superb miniature grouping to an extremely interesting person, and I have just been reading his extensive and facinating Bio.

You have probably seen the attached photographs of him, however, I shall post them just in case you have not.

Also, attached is his London Gazette entry announcing his Commission.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-13231100-1416967920_thumb.j

post-63666-0-35566000-1416967937_thumb.j

post-63666-0-17544500-1416967979_thumb.j

Hi LF

Would you also have Australian's? I am researching this chap-

Honours and Awards:

Robert Rankine

Unit: 14th Australian Infantry Battalion

Service: Army

Conflict: First World War, 1914-1918

Award: Distinguished Service Order

Date of Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: 11 September 1915

Location in Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: Page 1746, position 8

Date of Commonwealth of Australia Citation: 11 September 1915

Location of Citation in Commonwealth of Australia Gazette: Page 1747, position 9

Date of London Gazette: 3 June 1915

Location in London Gazette: Page 5331, position 7

Date of London Citation: 3 July 1915

Location of Citation in London Gazette: Page 6540, position 3

Any help would be appreciated.

regards

Robert