Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

Could you look for Jesse Philip Champion (RN)....Thank you

Welcome to the Forum.

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for J. P. Champion :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

CHAMPION, J.P. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 15.9.1916 ) ; Commander R.N., Despatches ( Sir John Jellicoe's ) 23.8.16.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 15 Sept. 1916 - Admiralty, 15 Sept. 1916.

The King has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointments to the Distinguished Service Order to the undermentioned Officers, in recognition of their services , as mentioned in the foregoing Despatches.

To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order...................

CHAMPION, John Pelham, Commander, R.N.

Regards,

LF

Thank you so much :)

I hope that John Pelham Champion, rather than Jesse Philip Champion is the right man ?

Regards,

LF

Dear LF

My next request is for the details re Lieutenant-Colonel J W B Landon . His MIC gives a Wentworth (Fitzwilliam) address. He was an agent of Earl Fitzwilliam.

Regards David

Dear LF

My next request is for the details re Lieutenant-Colonel J W B Landon . His MIC gives a Wentworth (Fitzwilliam) address. He was an agent of Earl Fitzwilliam.

Regards David

David,

Here are the entries for J.W.B. Landon :-

LANDON, J.W.B. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1918 ), Capt. ( A/Lt.-Col. ), R.A.S.C., T.F.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 3 June, 1918 - War Office, 3 June, 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in Egypt. Dated 3 June, 1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .............................

LANDON, James William Bainbridge, Captain ( Temporary Major, Acting Lieut.-Colonel ), Army Service Corps.

A King's Birthday award for operations in Egypt.

Regards,

LF

Dear LF

Many thanks for your sterling work. My last request for the moment is for the details of the entry for Edward Bunbury North, Lieutenant- Colonel Royal Fusiliers. He appears to have been related to Earl Fitzwilliam, by marriage into the family of the Earl's wife.

Kind regards

David

Hi LF,

Could I bother you for info on the following chaps please:

Lieut-Col, D.F. Campbell, D.S.O (Duke of Wellington's [West Riding] Regiment)

Major Valentine Fleming, D.S.O (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars)

Major P. K. Glazebrook, D.S.O (King's Shropshire Light Infantry)

Lieut-Col. Lord A. G. B. Thynne, D.S.O (Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry)

Brigadier-General W Long, C.M.G., D.S.O (Commanding 56th Brigade, 19th Division)

Many thanks

Neil

My last request for the moment is for the details of the entry for Edward Bunbury North, Lieutenant- Colonel Royal Fusiliers. He appears to have been related to Earl Fitzwilliam, by marriage into the family of the Earl's wife.

David,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for E.B. North :

D.S.O. Recipients Book :

NORTH, E.B. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ) ; born 28.3.1869 ; son of N. North, J.P., D.L., ( late I.A. ), and Alicia, daughter of Major L.R.J. Versturme, late 18th Hussars ; married, Margaret, daughter of Hon. J.C. Dundas, Lord Lieutenant of Orkney and Shetland, and the Honourable Alice Louisa , daughter of Lord Halifax ; one son ; two daughters ; educated Stubbington House, Fareham, Hants ; 2nd Lt., Royal Fus., 5.2.1890 ; Lt. 17.3.1892 ; Capt. 18.1. 1899 ; Major 1.4.1909 ; Lt.-Col. 18.5.1917 ; served with Egyptian Army, 1898-99 ; Despatches ; 4th Class Medjidie ; British and Egyptian Sudan Medals ; 3 clasps ; with Royal Fus. in South Africa , 1899-1900 ; Queen's Medal , 5 clasps ; attached Imperial Japanese Army, 1908-09 ; European War, 1915-18 ; commanded 4th Royal Fusiliers 1916-17 ; 10th Batt. The Queen's , 1918 ; late commanding 3rd Royal Fusiliers ; Despatches three times ; C.M.G. ; has 4th Class Medjidie ; 1897 Jubilee Medal ; King Edward VII Coronation Medal.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1917 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field, dated 1 Jan. 1917.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ..............................

NORTH, Edward Bunbury, Major, Royal Fusiliers.

A well connected, well travelled Officer.

Regards,

LF

Major Valentine Fleming, D.S.O (Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars)

Neil,

Here is your first set of D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries, starting with V. Flemming :

FLEMING, V. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 4.6.1917 ), Major, Cheshire Yeomanry, T.F. ; M.P. ; of Pitt House, Hampstead, N.M., and Arnisdale, Glenelg, Inverness-shire, he was killed in action 20.5.1917. :poppy:

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 4 June, 1917 - War Office, 4 June, 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field.

To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order ..............................

FLEMING, Valentine, Major, Yeomanry.

The D.S.O. Recipient's Book, lists him as a Major in The Cheshire Yeomanry.

Regards,

LF

I now have listing on all the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) recipients from 1886 - 1923.

Apart from the D.S.O. listings, the book also provides more detailed information and photographs on many of the D.S.O. recipients.

If any member would like me to look up a particular D.S.O. recipient, I shall be pleased to do so.

LF

Hi I would be most grateful if you give me information on Major Clement William Waite who served with the Hull pals especially any photo's you may have collected.

Regards

Garry

Hi I would be most grateful if you give me information on Major Clement William Waite who served with the Hull pals especially any photo's you may have collected.

Regards

Garry

Garry,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for C.W. Waite :-

WAITE, C.W. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1918 ) ; elder son of G.H. Waite ; T/ Major, 11th East Yorks Regiment ; He was taken prisoner by the Germans, and died 31.1.1919. :poppy:

His brother. Lt. G. Norman Waite, was twice wounded ; Despatches.

London Gazette :

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in France and Flanders. Dated 3 June, 1918.

WAITE, Clement William, Temporary Major, East Yorkshire Regiment.

King's Birthday Award to a P.O.W.

Regards,

LF

Major P. K. Glazebrook, D.S.O (King's Shropshire Light Infantry)

Neil,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for P.K. Glazebrook :-

GLAZEBROOK, P.K. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 26.3.1918 ) ( Details, London Gazette 24.8.1918 ) ; Major, Yeomanry. He was killed in action 7.3.1918 :poppy:

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 26 March, 1918 - War Office, 26 March, 1918.

His Majesty the King has been pleased to confer, the undermentioned rewards for gallantry and distinguished service in the field. The acts of gallantry for which the decorations have been awarded will be announced in the London Gazette as early as practicable.

GLAZEBROOK, Philip Kirkland , Major, Yeomanry.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 24 Aug. 1918 - War Office, 24 Aug. 1918.

With reference to the awards conferred as announced in the London Gazette dated 26 March, 1918, the following are the statements of service for which the decorations were conferred.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ..................................

( His D.S.O. Citation )

GLAZEBROOK, Philip Kirkland, Major, Yeomanry.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. When, by the capturing of a neighbouring height, the enemy had rendered the position of two companies most precarious, owing to the fact that they now came under concentrated machine-gun fire from their left rear, he immediately went to the most threatened spot, and by his courageous bearing and great coolness was responsible for the safe withdrawal of these companies. The unfailing energy and resolution shown by this officer were most noticeable.

A K.I.A., with his D.S.O. Citation published in the London Gazette.

Regards,

LF

Garry,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for C.W. Waite :-

WAITE, C.W. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1918 ) ; elder son of G.H. Waite ; T/ Major, 11th East Yorks Regiment ; He was taken prisoner by the Germans, and died 31.1.1919. :poppy:

His brother. Lt. G. Norman Waite, was twice wounded ; Despatches.

London Gazette :

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in France and Flanders. Dated 3 June, 1918.

WAITE, Clement William, Temporary Major, East Yorkshire Regiment.

King's Birthday Award to a P.O.W.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF,

I really can't thank you enough for your contribution, you have certainly put some more meat on the bone that is my research. I may add he died very tragically

I note your comments on his brother and would ask if you know which battalion/regiment/unit he fought in and where was he mentioned in despatches, I've looked into George Norman but only draw blanks.

Finally I note you type in bold letters he received his DSO whilst a prisoner, was this an unusual event, I know he went into captivity on 12/04/18.

Many thanks again.

Regards

Garry

Finally I note you type in bold letters he received his DSO whilst a prisoner, was this an unusual event, I know he went into captivity on 12/04/18.

Garry,

I am pleased the information was of use to you, and as yet, I do not recall seeing any other mentions in the D.S.O. Recipient's Book of a P.O.W., and I am sure there must have been a few others, however, I am not aware of any actual statistics which would show just how many D.S.O. recipient's were also P.O.W.s

Did he die as a result of his having been a P.O.W., or due to some other reason ?

Unfortunately, I have no other information on his brother.

Regards,

LF

Lieut-Col. Lord A. G. B. Thynne, D.S.O (Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry)

Neil,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for A.G.B. Thynne :-

THYNNE, Lord A.G. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ) ; born 1873 ; son of the 4th Marquess of Bath and brother of the 5th Marquess ; educated Eton and Balliol College, Oxford ; entered Royal Wilts Yeomanry about 1898 ; Lt.-Colonel ; served with 1st Batt. I.Y. in S. Africa on the Staff, 1900-02 ; Despatches twice ; Queen's Medal, 4 clasps ; King's Medal, 2 clasps ; was Secretary to the Lt.-Governor, Orange River Colony, 1902-05 ; served with Somaliland Field Force, 1903-04, as Reuter's Special Correspondent ( Medal and clasp ), and on the outbreak of the European War he went to the front with the Wilts. Yeomanry, in which he was a Major ; in 1916 he was made Lieutenant-Colonel commanding a battalion of the Wilts Regiment, and was mentioned in Despatches in Jan. 1917, and again in Dec. of the same year. He was killed in action on 14.9.1918. :poppy:

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1917 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field. Dated 1 Jan. 1917.

THYNNE, Lord Alexander George, Major, Yeomanry.

Regards,

LF

Garry,

I am pleased the information was of use to you, and as yet, I do not recall seeing any other mentions in the D.S.O. Recipient's Book of a P.O.W., and I am sure there must have been a few others, however, I am not aware of any actual statistics which would show just how many D.S.O. recipient's were also P.O.W.s

Did he die as a result of his having been a P.O.W., or due to some other reason ?

Unfortunately, I have no other information on his brother.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF,

Starting out as a private and over the course of the war he had quite a meteoric rise to Major, seeing an awful lot of action especially in France. Taken captive in April 18 he was got back to England and joined his wife for a months holiday in Bournmouth, they had only married earlier that year. On there way back to Hull they stopped over in London and he disappeared. Writing to his wife a few days later stating how sorry he was he also expressed a comment suggesting she would have heard of his fate by then. It transpires that he was carrying an awful lot of guilt in surviving when a lot of comrades did not he was ashamed of why he should have survived. He gave himself to the River Yare in Norwich and his body was not found for quite sometime.

Very sad indeed, I'm currently researching him in the hope of being able to honour him with a small booklet.

So if you discover or know of anything you can add I'd be most grateful, that said I'm very happy with what you have done, thank you.

Regards

Garry

Brigadier-General W Long, C.M.G., D.S.O (Commanding 56th Brigade, 19th Division)

Neil,

The format for the D.S.O. Recipient's Book 1886 - 1915, is completely different to that of the 1916 - 1923 book, in that it incorporates the London Gazette entry rather than it being separate as in the 1916 - 1923 book. Also, some of the bios are extremely lengthy, which is excellent news for the researcher.

As W. Long's bio is particularly lengthy, it is actually easier in this instance, to scan the pages from the book which are attached, and again due to it's size, I had to break it down into 3 parts.

Lots of great information, plus a photo !

Starting with part 1.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-35777800-1454172295_thumb.j

Hello LF

Would it be possible for you to give details of the DSO awards for the following who are all commemorated on Liverpool's Town Hall Roll of Honour? I show the details as displayed:

Harrison, Major R.D., R.F.A

Jack, Major, J.C., R.H.A

Jackson, Capt. J.E., King's Liverpool Regt.

Milne, Capt., J.E., RAMC, att'd KLR

Trotter, Lt-Col, E.H., King's Liverpool Regt.

Webster, Lt-Col, J.R., Sherwood Foresters.

Thanks very much.

Daggers