Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

Hi LF

I would be really grateful if you could look up Lt-Col A G McClintock who was awarded the DSO in 1917. I had previously seen the register entry on the National Archives and went back to check the details, only to find that the NA have now made it péage.

David

Hi LF

I would be really grateful if you could look up Lt-Col A G McClintock who was awarded the DSO in 1917. I had previously seen the register entry on the National Archives and went back to check the details, only to find that the NA have now made it péage.

David

David,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for A. G. McClintock :-

D.S.O. Recipients Book :

McCLINTOCK, A.G. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 8.8.1917 ); born 30.4.1878 ; son of A.G.F. McClintock, Public Trustee, Ireland, and Catherine Brownlow, daughter of Sir J.M. Stronge, Bart. ; married Susan, daughter of late J. Heywood-Collins ; 5 sons ; one daughter ; educated Farnborough ; joined 4th Batt. Oxford Light Infantry 1896 ; 5th Lancers 15.11.1899 ; Lieut. 3.10.1900 ; Capt. 3.7.1907 ; 8th Hussars 23.11.1901 ; Major 5th Lancers, 16.1.1917 ; T/Lt.-Col., Tank Corps ; served S. African War, 1899-1901 ; Queen's Medal, 3 clasps ; European War ; Despatches.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 8 Aug.1917 - War Office, 8 Aug.1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned Rewards for distinguished service in the field, dated 3 June, 1917.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .............................

McCLINTOCK, Arthur George, Major ( Temporary Lieut.-Colonel ) Lancers, Commanding Battn., Yorkshire Light Infantry.

Your man served in various Regiments.

Regards,

LF

Hi, I would appreciate any details that you have on Major Hugh Greville Young DSO RFA...

very many thanks,

Rick

Thanks LF for the speedy response re #202. The additional information on his service history is interesting.

Family tree-wise the book seems to have A G McClintock mixed up with his father A G F McClintock. Easily done I'm sure. It was A G McClintock's father who married Susan Heywood-Collins, and his grandfather, who married Catherine Brownlow Stronge.

Kind regards

David

Hi, I would appreciate any details that you have on Major Hugh Greville Young DSO RFA...

very many thanks,

Rick

Rick,

Here are the details for Major H.G. Young :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book ( 1886-1915 ) & The London Gazette entries :-

YOUNG, Hugh Greville, Major, born 4 Nov. 1882, son of the late Rev. Henry S. Young. He entered the Royal Artillery 18 Aug. 1900 ; became Lieutenant 18 Aug. 1903 ; was Adjutant Royal Artillery from 21 Feb. 1907 to 19 Feb. 1910, and 9 Sept. 1911 to 22 July 1915 ; became Captain 1 Nov. 1911, and Major 7 Jan. 1915. Major Young served in the European War, as Brigade Major, R.A., 1st Division, B.E.F., 23 July to 28 Oct. 1915 ; Acting Lieutenant-Colonel 10 March to 27 July 1918 ; He was twice wounded ; twice mentioned in Despatches ; was given the Brevet of Major, and created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order ( London Gazette, 23 June 1915 ) " HUGH Greville Young, Major, Royal Artillery. For distinguished service in the field. ".

Major Young married in 1919, Constance, daughter of the late Brigadier-General N.D. Finlay, C.B., R.A., of Alphington, Frimley.

The earlier 1886-1915 D.S.O. Recipient's Book combines both the D.S.O. Book and the London Gazette entries, whereas the D.S.O. book for the years 1916-1923 lists them separately.

Regards,

LF

Is there much on Lt James Mould, Worcester Regt? Gazetted 25/8/16.

Is there much on Lt James Mould, Worcester Regt? Gazetted 25/8/16.

John,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Lt. J. Mould.

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

MOULD, J ( D.S.O. London Gazette 25.8.1916 ) Acting/Captain Worcestershire Regiment.

His D.S.O. was awarded for gallantry on 15-17.7.1916 at Pozieres ; Military Cross. He was killed in action 3.9.1916.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 25 Aug. 1916 - War Office, 25 Aug. 1916.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the appointment of the undermentioned Officers to be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.................

MOULD, James, Temporary Lieutenant, Worcestershire Regiment.

For conspicuous courage and ability in erecting a block in an advanced trench heavily enfiladed by fire. The prompt measures taken checked an enemy counter-attack. and he, in addition, inflicted heavy casualties with a Lewis gun.

Some nice details on a obviously brave man, D.S.O., and M.C., unfortunately K.I.A.

It is also very nice to have details of his D.S.O. Citation published in the London Gazette, which few recipient's had.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF,

very many thanks for the info on HG Young, much appreciated,

Rick

Hi LF

I have a couple more requests for a look up, both for DSO's for the 9th Tank Battalion in the battle of Moreuil/Sauvillers on 23 July 1918.

The officers are Major H H Johnson and Captain David Lubbock Robinson. I already have their citations from the Tank Corps Book of Honour and am interested in any additional information your source may have.

Also, I wonder how much work it is for you to reply to look up requests. I am looking at a rather large group of DSO awardees who worked together post war and fear that if I asked you for their entries it would overburden you with transcription.

Kind regards

David

Would you happen to have a record of a DSO awarded to my Grandfather Major Thomas Waitsen Williams, 4th Light Horse Regiment 1914-1919?

He was MID and awarded his DSO for action on the Somme, obviously in World War 1.

The officers are Major H H Johnson and Captain David Lubbock Robinson. I already have their citations from the Tank Corps Book of Honour and am interested in any additional information your source may have.

David,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for Major H.H. Johnson & Capt. D.L. Robinson.

D.S.O Recipient's Book :

JOHNSON, Henry Herbert ( D.S.O. London Gazette 15.10.1918 ), Captain Temporary/Major, Royal Sussex Regiment, attached Tank Corps.

ROBINSON, D.L. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 15.10.1918 ), Temporary/Captain ( Tank Corps ), Lt., R.M.

( Both Gazetted on the same day )

London Gazette : ( Although their entries in the D.S.O. Recipient's Book were short, they both had their full D.S.O. Citations published in the London Gazette )

London Gazette, 15 Oct. 1918 - War Office, 15 Oct. 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following awards to the undermentioned Officers and Warrant Officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

JOHNSON, Henry Howard, Capt. ( Temporary Major ) , Royal Sussex Regiment, attached Tank Corps.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During a long and arduous day's fighting he followed the tanks, of which he was in command, on foot, running from one to the other, directing their operations with the greatest success. He was indefatigable in his efforts, and by his personal reconnaissance of different points was able to manoeuvre his tanks in such a manner as to break down the resistance of machine guns which were holding up the infantry advance. During the whole day he was exposed to the heavy fire of artillery and machine guns, and by his devotion to duty was the admiration to all who saw him.

ROBINSON, David Lubbock, Temporary Capt., Tank Corps ( Lieut., Royal Marines ).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. This officer was in charge of two sections of Tanks, which he manoeuvred on foot during a long and arduous day's fighting, with the greatest effect and success. He was quite regardless of his own safety, always well ahead of the infantry, though exposed to the heaviest artillery and machine gun fire. He undoubtedly saved the infantry many casualties by the way he directed his Tanks to the destruction of machine gun groups, and his example throughout the day was the admiration of all who saw him.

Sounds like they were Tank Corps' brother officers, fighting in the same battle ?

As far as other searches, one every other day should be no problem.

Regards,

LF

Would you happen to have a record of a DSO awarded to my Grandfather Major Thomas Waitsen Williams, 4th Light Horse Regiment 1914-1919?

He was MID and awarded his DSO for action on the Somme, obviously in World War 1.

Hesh,

Welcome to the Forum, and here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for your Grandfather, Major T.W. Williams.

WILLIAMS, T. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.2.1919 ) 4th Australian Light Horse Regiment.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Feb. 1919 - War Office, 1 Feb. 1919.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following awards to the undermentioned Officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

WILLIAMS. Thomas, Major, 4th Australian Light Horse Regiment, XXII Corps, Mounted Regiment.

For conspicuous gallantry during the period up to 12 September, 1918, on the Somme. He worked his patrols in a daring and able manner, keeping divisional headquarters supplied with reliable information. By personal reconnaissances he was able to direct the artillery on to splendid targets with excellent results. His work right through the operation was of a very high order.

I am pleased that your Grandfather's D.S.O. Citation was published in full in the London Gazette, I am sure you must be very proud of him.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF for the speedy response re #202. The additional information on his service history is interesting.

Family tree-wise the book seems to have A G McClintock mixed up with his father A G F McClintock. Easily done I'm sure. It was A G McClintock's father who married Susan Heywood-Collins, and his grandfather, who married Catherine Brownlow Stronge.

David,

I am pleased the information helped, and that your were able to sort out who married who.

Regards,

LF

Ravrick wrote: "Hi, I would appreciate any details that you have on Major Hugh Greville Young DSO RFA..."

Lt. Col. Hugh Greville Young, DSO, RFA

Born at Aston Rowant on 4 Nov 1882 the son of Rev. H. Savill Young, Slough, Berks

Educated at Marlborough from Sept 1896 to 1899 and at the RMA, Woolwich from 1899 to 1900

Went to France and Flanders as Adjutant, 35th Brigade, RFA on 4 Oct 1914

Was serving with 26th Brigade, RFA in 1915

Brigade Major, 1st Divisional Artillery from 23 July 15 to 28 Oct 15

Mentioned in despatches 17 Feb 15; 22 Jun 15; 15 Jun 16 and 31 Dec 18

DSO and Brevet of Major

Twice wounded

Married Constance, daughter of Brig Gen M. D. Findlay, CB, DSO in 1919 and they had a son, Hugh Findlay Young, born in 1919

Member of Wycombe Rural District Council since 1926

Chairman of the Radnage Parish Council

In 1936 he was a farmer at Grange Farm, Radnage, High Wycombe

Died on 5 Nov 1950

Sources:

Who's Who in Buckinghamshire, 1936

Marlborough College Register 1843-1933

Marlborough College Register 1843-1952

War Diary of 26th Brigade, RFA

Quarterly Army List, October 1922

Obliged, LF.

Much obliged LF, thank you for your kind words, I never met my grandfather he passed not long after I was born.

I did follow both his and my fathers example and joined the services when I was old enough.

My family are all very proud indeed.

Thanks LF for the information in #211.

They were indeed in the same battle on 23 July 1918. H H Johnson was CO B Company assisting the French 51st RI and I am almost sure that D L Robinson was commanding 2 sections of C Company who were assisting the French 272nd RI. Also, H H Johnson was awarded the Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur and D L Robinson the Croix de Guerre for this action.

Kind regards

David

Dear LF

The first on my list referred to in #209, the employer post-war of a group of soldiers, several of which had been awarded the DSO.

I would be really grateful if you could look up Earl William Charles de Murion (Wentworth-) Fitzwilliam, KCVO DSO. He was Army Services Corps.

Kind regards

David

I would be really grateful if you could look up Earl William Charles de Murion (Wentworth-) Fitzwilliam, KCVO DSO. He was Army Services Corps.

David,

Here are the details, and remember with the earlier D.S.O. Recipient's Book 1886-1915, the book entry and the London Gazette entry are combined.

FITZWILLIAM, Earl ( William Charles De Meuron Wentworth-Fitzwilliam ), Capt. Born 1872 son of Viscount Milton, J.P., and Laura, daughter of the late Lord Charles Beauclerk. He is the 7th Earl Fitzwiilliam . The first Earl served five times as Queen Elizabeth's Lord Deputy in Ireland, being created Baron Fitzwilliam in 1620.

He was educated at Eton and at Trinity College, Cambridge; was A.D.C. to the Marquess of Lansdowne in India, 1892-93 ; Major , 4th Battn. Oxfordshire Light Infantry. He was M.P. ( Liberal Unionist ) for Wakefield, 1895-1902. Lord Fitzwilliam served in South Africa, 1900, being employed under the Director of Supplies, Army Headquarters ( graded as a Staff Captain ), and taking part in the operations in Cape Colony and Orange River Colony, 1900. He was mentioned in Despatches ( London Gazette, 16th April, 1901 ) ; received the Queen's Medal with four clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order ( London Gazette, 19th April 1901 ) " William Charles De Meuron, Earl Wentworth-Fitzwilliam, Capt. 4th Battn. Oxfordshire Light Infantry. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa. " The insignia was presented by the King 25th July, 1901.

He succeeded his grandfather in 1902 ; became a Member of the County Council, Wicklow, and J.P., County Wicklow and West Yorkshire, also D.L., County Wicklow. Earl Fitzwilliam has travelled much in India, Europe and America, and is much interested in engineering, especially mining engineering. His favourite recreations are hunting, riding, shooting, cycling and polo. He was created K.C.V.O. in 1911. He became a Major , 4th Battn. Oxfordshire Ligth Infantry, and Major, West Riding Royal Horse Artillery, 1908, and was promoted to Brevet Lieut.-Colonel in 1913. He served in the European War from 1914 ; was mentioned in Despatches, and created a C.B.E. in 1919.

In 1896 he married Lady Maud Frederica Elizabeth Dundas, daughter of the 1st Marquess of Zetland, and they have one son, Viscount Milton, born 31st December, 1910, and four daughters.

Obviously a well connected man !

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF for the record of Earl Fitzwilliam. The estate manager, post war, of Earl Fitzwilliam (#219) was Wadham Hearthcote Diggle who was I believe Captain in the Grenadier Guards when he was awarded the DSO.. It would be great to know his details.

Kind regrads

David

The estate manager, post war, of Earl Fitzwilliam (#219) was Wadham Hearthcote Diggle who was I believe Captain in the Grenadier Guards when he was awarded the DSO.. It would be great to know his details.

David,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for W.H. Diggle.

DIGGLE, W.H. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1919 ) ; born 4.6.1885 ; 3rd son of Wadham N. Diggle ; married 1919, Nancy, eldest daughter of Henry Conran ; served Royal Navy , 1899-1905 ; 2nd Lieut. Grenadier Guards, 1.2.1907 ; Lt. 10.3.1908 ; Adjt. Grenadier Guards 15.9.1910 to 14.8.1912 ; Capt. 22.8.1914 ; G.S.O., 2nd Grade, 1920 ; Egyptian Army, 1912-1914 ; served European War 1914-19 ; Despatches ; Military Cross ; Legion of Honour ; Croix de Guerre ( France ).

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1919 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1919.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in France and Flanders. Dated 1 Jan. 1919.

DIGGLE, Wadham Heathcote, M.C., Capt. ( Temporary Lieut.-Colonel ) Coldstream Guards ( correction for Coldstream Guards read Grenadier Guards London Gazette, 22 March, 1919 ).

Note the London Gazette correction, and his other nice awards.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF for the Heathcote Diggle details.

Earl Fitzwilliam's houndsman was Heathcote Diggle's brother, Major (I think) John Neston Diggle RFA. His MIC Has the address Kennels, Wentworth, Rotherham!

I would be interested to see the DSO Recipents entry for him.

Regards

David

Earl Fitzwilliam's houndsman was Heathcote Diggle's brother, Major (I think) John Neston Diggle RFA. His MIC Has the address Kennels, Wentworth, Rotherham!

David,

Here are the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for J.N. Diggle :-

DIGGLE, J.N. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1918 ) ; born 21.1.1894 ; 1st commission, 21.12.1901 ; Major, R.F.A., 6.2.1916 ; retired, R.A., 6.9.1919 ; Despatches.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1918 - War Office, 1 Jan. 1918.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field. Dated 1 Jan.1918.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .......................

DIGGLE, John Neston, Major, Royal Field Artillery.

Regards,

LF