Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

Hi LF

Would you also have Australian's? I am researching this chap-

Robert Rankine

Robert

Robert,

Unfortunately, my D.S.O. Recipient's Book only contains British D.S.O. awards, and although the London Gazette section does cover those D.S.O.s awarded to Australians, it only relates to the years 1916 - 1923, and your London Gazette entry is for 1915.

I know that other members who participate in this Thread have the earlier D.S.O. information, so hopefully, someone will assist you.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF

Thanks for you help anyway.

regards

Robert

Robert,

I did find Major R. Rankine's D.S.O. award announcement in the London Gazette, which does detail that he was awarded the D.S.O. for his actions in the Dardanelles ( Mediterranean Expeditionary Force ) 14th Australian Infantry Battalion ( Victoria ).

This is the first ' Dardanelles ' D.S.O. entry I have seen, so very interesting.

Here is the full London Gazette page, and details for his D.S.O. entry.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-50857800-1417004175_thumb.j

Hi LF,

Thank you for your kind words and the photographs of my recipient as I had not got round to googling him until I was 100% sure he was my man, as I still had some contenders which I had not fully eliminated as yet, but they are now. I have now read his Bio you are right very interesting career and very credible to join up for WW1 when he was an MP, spookily one of his daughters was born on the same date as me.

I am also a member of the British Medal Forum and I intend to write up my full research story and post it there I hope you do not mind me mentioning your part in the story.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards

Hiram

Hi LF,

Thank you for your kind words and the photographs of my recipient as I had not got round to googling him until I was 100% sure he was my man, as I still had some contenders which I had not fully eliminated as yet, but they are now. I have now read his Bio you are right very interesting career and very credible to join up for WW1 when he was an MP, spookily one of his daughters was born on the same date as me.

I am also a member of the British Medal Forum and I intend to write up my full research story and post it there I hope you do not mind me mentioning your part in the story.

Thank you once again.

Kind regards

Hiram

Hiram,

I am pleased to have been of some small assistance.

Regards,

LF

Hi LF

Thanks for you help anyway.

regards

Robert

Robert,

Here is a photograph of Major Rankine's D.S.O. and journal, which recently came up for auction ( May 19 2013 ) in Melbourne, Australia.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-80212900-1417009897_thumb.j

Hi LF

Robert

Robert,

Here also, is Major Rankine's D.S.O. Citation and a photograph.

Regards,

LF

‘On the night of 26th-27th April, 1915, during operations in the neighbourhood of Gaba Tepe, for gallantly leading an assault resulting in the capture of a most important post, and subsequently for holding that position against repeated attacks for five days without relief.’

post-63666-0-04146100-1417010904_thumb.j

Hi LF

Thanks for all of your digging and the information you have found.

I appreciate your help.

regards

Robert

Robert

The entry in the Register of the DSO says "Invested by The King at Buckingham Palace on 14th October 1915 (0137/1891). Warrant sent to Australian Record Office 14.7.16. Receipt received 24.7.16."

Graeme

Hi LF

Thanks for all of your digging and the information you have found.

I appreciate your help.

regards

Robert

Robert,

I hoped it helped with your research.

Regards,

LF

• 2 months later...

LF

I would be grateful for a look-up for the following who served in 12th (S) Battalion, The King's Liverpool Regiment and I believe were awarded the DSO:

W.J.H. HOWARD (T/Major, A/Lt Col)

A.F. HUNT (Major, later Gen. List)

I do not have their first names which makes searching the LG even more hazardous than usual!

Thank you

Daggers

LF

I would be grateful for a look-up for the following who served in 12th (S) Battalion, The King's Liverpool Regiment and I believe were awarded the DSO:

W.J.H. HOWARD (T/Major, A/Lt Col)

A.F. HUNT (Major, later Gen. List)

daggers,

Here are the entries from the D.S.O. Recipient's Book and the London Gazette for both your men :-

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

HOWARD, W.J.H. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1919 ) ; born 3.9.1889 ; 2nd Lt., Liverpool Regiment, 6.11.1909 ; Lt. 24.4.1912 ; Captain 11.3.1915 ; Despatches.

HUNT, A.F. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 3.6.1919 ); Temp. Major, General List.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 3 June, 1919 - War Office, 3 June 1919.

The King has been graciously pleased, on the occasion of His Majesty's Birthday, to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in connection with military operations in France and Flanders, Dated 3 June, 1919.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order .............................................

HOWARD, William James Holdsworth. Capt. ( Temporary Major and Acting Lieut.-Colonel ), Liverpool Regiment, attached 13th Battn.

HUNT, Arthur Frederick, Temporary Major, General List.

Both men listed in the London Gazette on the same day, and you also now have their first names.

Regards,

LF

hello

could you check the following chap for me please

nathaniel ivo edward twisleton-wykeham-fiennes

Paul,

He is listed under Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, and here are his D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries :-

TWISLETON-WYKEHAM-FIENNES, N.I.E. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 11.1.1919 ); born 28.3.1876; 2nd Lt., R.A., 8.9.1900; Lt. 8.9.1903; Capt. 23.4.1912; Major, R.F.A., 10.4.1915.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 11 Jan. 1919 - War Office, 11 Jan. 1919.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following awards to the undermentioned officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ....................................

TWISLETON-WYKEHAM-FIENNES, Nathaniel Ivo Edward, Major, 66th Battery, 4th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery ( Mesopotamia ). For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. Although exposed to heavy and accurate fire throughout the day he handled his battery with marked coolness and courage, pushing his guns well forward and inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy.

Fortunately, his London Gazette entry also has his D.S.O. Citation details and location of the award ( Mesopotamia ), also, he had a wonderful name.

Regards,

LF

thanks LF, a mine of information as always. Brill name, of course Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes is better known as Ranulph Fiennes the explorer chappie.

• 1 month later...

Update - I now have the complete records for the D.S.O. recipients starting from the D.S.O.'s institution in 1886 to 31st December 1915 and also for the years 1916 to 1923, i.e. 1886-1923, with many recipient's individual bios and photographs.

LF

• 4 weeks later...

LF, Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am sure that I [or others] have raised this question on this forum, but darned if I can find it.

So, please are there figures for the Great War DSO awards broken down by rank? I am intrigued by the apparent rarity to subalterns, and lesser rarity to captains, but I have never got a handle on "why?". I cannot see any such distribution arising from the wording of the Royal Warrants as amended, for example.

LF, Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am sure that I [or others] have raised this question on this forum, but darned if I can find it.

So, please are there figures for the Great War DSO awards broken down by rank? I am intrigued by the apparent rarity to subalterns, and lesser rarity to captains, but I have never got a handle on "why?". I cannot see any such distribution arising from the wording of the Royal Warrants as amended, for example.

Grumpy - not that I am aware off - however those with nimble fingers could create a spread sheet - using published data which already exists in hard back form. For example the book ' Honour the Officers - Honours and Awards to British, Dominion and Colonial Officers During the First World War' by Michael Maton could be a good starting point. In such circumstances one would need prior permission from the Publishers to do so - ISBN 1 870 192 88 5, printed by Token Publishing Ltd in 2009.

Philip (OMRS 943)

• 8 months later...

will you look up the following for me please

Cecil Wilmot Mainprise awarded 1917.

Paul,

Here are your D.S.O. Recipient's Book and London Gazette entries for C.W. Mainprise.

MAINPRISE, C.W., M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 1.1.1917 ) ; born 23.6.1873 ; son of late W.B. Mainprise, Paymaster-in-Chief, R.N. ; educated Royal Naval School, New Cross ; St. Bartholomew's Hospital ; Lt. R.A.M.C., 27.7.1898 ; Capt. 27.7.1901 ; Major 27.71910 ; Lt.-Col. 1.3.1915 ; served in Tibet Expedition in charge of the only British Field Hospital, 1903-4 ( Medal and clasp ) ; present at Delhi Durbar, 1911 ( Coronation Medal ) ; Europe War, in France ; commanded an Indian Cavalry Field Ambulance, 1914 ; Despatches ; also a Casualty Clearing Station, 1915 ; Despatches ; in charge of Military Hospital, Curragh, Ireland, 1917 ; O.C., 80 General Hospital, Salonika, April 1918 ; present in offensive against Bulgaria as A.D.M.S., 16th Corps ; took part in Afghan War, 1919 ( A.D.M.S. ), Peshawar.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 1 Jan. 1917 - War Office, 1. Jan. 1917.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field, dated 1 Jan. 1917.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Order ............................

MAINPRISE, Cecil Wilmot, Lieut.-Colonel, Royal Medical Corps.

A much travelled Officer.

Regards,

LF