Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Service Order ( D.S.O. ) recipients 1886-1923

Lancashire Fusilier

• 1 month later...

I am trying get a date for the D.S.O. of Norman McDonald Teacher, can you help please

Tony

Thanks, I have seen that, but I am looking for the Gazette details, don't know if it was a New years Honours thing or otherwise with maybe a citation

Tony

Thanks Harry, never knew of his 4th mention

Tony

• 4 months later...

SURGEON-MAJOR HENRY WILLIAM ALEXANDER MACKINNON, DSO (1841-1905)

The London Gazette of 26 November 1886, Number 25650, Page 5976 under 'MEDICAL STAFF' announces the promotion of 'Surgeon-Major Henry William Alexander Mackinnon to be Brigade Surgeon'. He was promoted on 4 December 1886 on the recommendation of General Sir George White for his services with the Burma Expeditionary Force in the 3rd Burma War from February 1885 to October 1886. However, on 14 December 1886, his promotion was cancelled. Instead, MacKinnon was made a Companion of the newly created Distinguished Service Order. 

Pease can you possibly assist me in tracing the entry in the London Gazette recording the cancellation of his promotion and the award of a DSO instead? We will never know the reason. However, according to the website 'RAMC Officers of the Malta Garrison', McKinnon was eventually promoted to Brigade-Surgeon Lieutenant Colonel on 10 March 1892 before retiring on 26 October 1895.

Henry Mackinnon is my great, grandfather. His father-in-law  and Surgeon General William Munro, CB.

With thanks

NIGEL HILL

32 Colebrooke Avenue

Ealing

London W13 8JY

Greetings, I have a DSO, MC to a Major Edward William Hughes. Apart from his MIC, medal rolls and entry's in the LG there is not much on him. 

Would you be so kind as to have a look for me please. He has a French Croix de Guerre 1914-1917 as well in his group. 

Thanks Ed Robinson

Many thanks Coldstreamer, Its the citation for the DSO that I am chasing. Cheers Ed

1 hour ago, Ed ROBINSON said:

Many thanks Coldstreamer, Its the citation for the DSO that I am chasing. Cheers Ed

Don't think there was one. 1st January 1918 - New Year Honours job; normally no citation in this circumstance.

Thanks Steven, I suspected that. He certainly picked up a fed MID's as well. Must have been a popular bloke at HQ!!

Cheers Ed

this is the problem with un-named medals

medals get split up for many reasons

I have the entry for my great uncle from the Gazette but was hoping there might be additional information in the book.  Any additional information would be appreciated.

Major George Wyman Shearer

Thanks

John Ball

Just found the answer to my question regarding the DSO Bar.  I found a link showing my Great Uncle's medals sold on an auction site.  They were passed down to stepchildren and someone only saw them for their financial value.  Sadly they have left the family, I'm heart broken.

Shearer George Medals sold.PNG

Edited by John Sidney Ball

Very sad! That money will quickly be spent and nothing to show for it. At least you have the details of how he earned it.

You could purchase this one for display (no connection!):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRITISH-WWI-DISTINGUISHED-SERVICE-ORDER-IN-GARRARD-CASE-OF-ISSUE/162794215213?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edited by Ivor Anderson

unfortunately this discussion comes up quite often, families are offered their medals back and within a short time they re appear on the market. even happens with todays recipients that have fallen on hard times, they sell the originals, then get a replacement set sometimes to be offered the originals back again.

How about John Barnwell, DSO and MC.  One source says he had a bar to the DSO, but I am not sure this is correct.

• 2 years later...

On 01/02/2016 at 23:11, Lancashire Fusilier said:

Daggers,

Here is another of your men, R.D. Harrison, plus his photograph, and also his D.S.O. Citation as published in the London Gazette.

D.S.O. Recipient's Book :

HARRISON, R.D. ( D.S.O. London Gazette 20.10.1916 ) ; born 22.7.1881 ; son of D. Harrison, F.R.C.S.E., of Liverpool ; married Hilda Beatrice Corbett Grierson, daughter of S.M. Grierson ; one son ; one daughter ; educated Liverpool College and privately ; 2nd Lt. R.A., Dec. 1900 ; Lt. 1903 ; Captain, August 1912 ; Major, May 1915 ; served European War ; Despatches. He was killed in action 16.9.1917. :poppy: His D.S.O. was awarded for gallantry at Guillemont 20 July to 2 August 1916.

London Gazette :

London Gazette, 20 Oct. 1916 - War Office, 20 Oct. 1916.

His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the appointments of the undermentioned Officers to be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion to duty in the field...........................

( D.S.O. Citation )

HARRISON, Roland Damer, Major, Royal Field Artillery. For conspicuous gallantry in action. He commanded and fought his battery with great skill, and went out in front of our infantry advance posts in search of O.P.'s. During many days of operation he showed great courage and devotion to duty.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-11604400-1454368227_thumb.j

Visited St. Peter’s Church in Sandwich,  Kent today ,the  original grave cross and a memorial for Major R. D. Harrison DSO of the RFA regiment, was fixed to a wall on the inside of the church.

Photographs attached for your information and in case anyone in the future is researching him.

0854978B-43D9-40B3-9D03-2229D4D2C728.jpeg

68F31775-E119-4C8A-9652-4B612C928D34.jpeg