Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Here is the frame marked modern day picture. The brush covers most of the concrete infrastructure, but you can jump in the old trenches and walk them criss-cross all over the plateau, lets say one level below present surface

post-80-0-98061100-1354020540_thumb.jpg

The next two pictures are my personal favorites in this thread. Close up of Feste Großherzog, entrance. It is only the top of the iceberg because the main features of the fortress are all underground and invisible from surface.

NOW

post-80-0-98385100-1354020722_thumb.jpg

THEN

post-80-0-46238000-1354020869_thumb.jpg

Note the mountain in the background; it is the "Molkenrain" which was always in French hands and here the French artillery was located, hammering the HWK.

The large cross in the background is not the summit cross you saw earlier. the summit cross is some 50 m behind me/this picture. The large cross was erected by the French after the war to commemorate the sacrifices of all the thousands of men who lost their lives right here. It is lit in the night and can be seen from far down in the Rhine valley plains.

post-80-0-74820400-1354021134_thumb.jpg

Incredible.

:poppy:

Daniel

Yes indeed Daniel, posting these pictures make me nervous and want me to visit again right now before the first snow falls and covers the HWK in a thick white blanket with temperatures far below 0° Celsius. Unimaginable how the soldiers could bear the cold and 2-3-meter high snow up there

I am sitting here on top of Feste Großherzog, looking back to the summit cross from where I reached the plateau after climbing up (it is not the large cross of remembrance which is lit in the night -it is in the opposite direction, 180°turn ). Now you can imagine the significance for the Germans to hold the summit positions and prevent the French from obtaining artillery observer positions "looking" down in the German heartland. Also you might imagine how the blue lit cross in the night affects the people living down in the plains.

post-80-0-13186500-1354022440_thumb.jpg

Note my messenger dog descendant guarding the fortress' entrance

Inside the fortress. A steel observer turret watching the French lines which run at a distance of some 10-20m, sometimes way less than 10m .

post-80-0-76618900-1354022886_thumb.jpg

Although already far in the underground tunnels, Louis even guides me to the next lower level in Feste Großherzog, deep down in the mountain and absolute bomb proof. Strong lights are vital.....

post-80-0-45844700-1354023366_thumb.jpg

I just learned from veteran Hans Killian's book, that they even howled up a 5 barrel revolving gun up there to protect the perimeters of the fortress.

Finally-natural light! We reach one of the other exit/entries and leave the system

post-80-0-57551600-1354023729_thumb.jpg

Just an afterburner for your orientation. This aerial shows where I came from, depicts the previous photo locations and where I will continue crossing the summit

post-80-0-90664700-1354027476_thumb.jpg

Yes indeed Daniel, posting these pictures make me nervous and want me to visit again right now before the first snow falls and covers the HWK in a thick white blanket with temperatures far below 0° Celsius. Unimaginable how the soldiers could bear the cold and 2-3-meter high snow up there

Intermezzo: Louis just sent me this link. You may understand the icy and snowy weather both war parties had to endure up there when looking at these winter pictures.

Thanks guys for your kind words!

Thank you Egbert for continuing this thread. Certainly makes me want to make a visit there next year. The images and their descriptions, together with the original images are so informative.

Kind regards

John

Thanks John.

.....merging into path "Minenweg" some 50m awayfrom Feste Großherzog is next fortress "Feste Karl". There are a dozen of large fortresses on the small summit plateau and I simply did not have time enough to explore their inside's. Just a glimpse from walking the Minenpfad, looking at surface portion of former Feste Karl.

NOW

post-80-0-73824500-1354187450_thumb.jpg

Another 100m on Minengasse, I reach a true curiosity next to fortress "Galaschburg". It is a kitchen shelter, left part built and used in 1914, right part newer, built in 1943.

post-80-0-74400000-1354188216_thumb.jpg

1943what? Down in the plains a couple of km from HWK the SS had a trench warfare school in Sennheim. Here up on the HWK they trained and built this kitchen next to the old 1914 kitchen. 1943 commander was General Oswald, who fought on HWK as a captain in WWI.

Left part is 1914. Louis looks for a hot coffee, but kitchen fires long extinguished here.

post-80-0-46872200-1354188552_thumb.jpg