Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

This war time picture shows "Aussichtsfelsen" with annexed defensive complex "Storchennest" (Stork's Nest). You can see very well the 4 windows in the rock, where today's French monument has been erected. (My previous panorama picture was taken right in front of the 4 windows where the soldiers stand, looking down into the plain)

post-80-0-72772700-1351258804_thumb.jpg

Only 20 meters to the left, is the site where the first ever Heavy Minenwerfer was employed on HWK against the French ( 21.1.1915). Commander was Lt d.R. Hans Killian, who developed the firing techniques and whose book I read now 3rd time "Totentanz auf dem Hartmannsweilerkopf, and which I consider the best personal account written about the battles on/at HWK

post-80-0-87229500-1351259391_thumb.jpg

A lot of rubble around the fortresses. I am not sure if I can recognize one of the high voltage wires here amongst the barbed wire

post-80-0-37259000-1351260520_thumb.jpg

Ah. I took photos of that round base plate intending to identify it later. Thanks!

(Ages ago I sent you a postcard of trenches at the summit, labelled au fond, St Ann, Jungholz. Is that round here? You did say, but I haven't got a properly functioning computer at the moment. Please use it if you wish.)

Superb 'then' photos. The quality is amazing.

Gwyn

(Ages ago I sent you a postcard of trenches at the summit, labelled au fond, St Ann, Jungholz. Is that round here? You did say, but I haven't got a properly functioning computer at the moment. Please use it if you wish.)

Gwyn

I know what you mean Gwyn. These pictures will come later, maybe tomorrow and are from the summit positions, not from the ascend (I will include your picture if you will, as I can connect the THEN view with an exact NOW view)

Please use it! I will be venturing into utter cyber-oblivion as my replacement computer has arrived and it's Windows 8, so I won't know how to do anything anymore, ever.

Dave, a nice map! Your desperately seeking Sennheim Cernay story amused me.

Gwyn

Dave, a nice map! Your desperately seeking Sennheim Cernay story amused me.

Gwyn

No pity with Dave -he should have asked the right guys.

P.S. I have a list of all forced name changes from Alsace battlegrounds.

I have a dictionary of French-German place names in all Alsace. However, once you start looking at pre-War postcards, which I do a lot, you pretty quickly pick up the alternative place names. I also end up with a mental picture of the places as they were a hundred years ago. This summer, I was utterly and idiotically astonished to find that you don't cross the Col du Bussang through a tunnel these days! :blush:

Gwyn

Meanwhile I entered one of the fortress' galleries within "Aussichtsfelsen". The section where I am in, goes all the way through the rock formation. About in the center, a wooden stair leads up to a firing position. There are side galleries as well and a smaller cavern near the exit. Besides theses features, there is the already mentioned signal intercept station.

post-80-0-14074400-1351347067_thumb.jpg

My French friend hurries me along. We took an East heading exit, turn left towards Northern flank and climb up the last meters to the summit positions.

post-80-0-93531200-1351348163_thumb.jpg

The last meters to the summit cross. Another fortress, part of all the many summit fortresses. I am standing/walking in a trench looking up

post-80-0-20013000-1351349416_thumb.jpg