Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

egbert

Unfortunately the vegetation hides the size of the fortress, but maybe you can recognize the rock formation into which the underground part has been blasted. Absolute bomb proof!

post-80-0-09698400-1355235108_thumb.jpg

The "Doppelkopf" combat sap, right hand, stops short at the very steep ridge. Let your imagination play and think about the view without vegetation, over to the French and commandeering the valley below....

post-80-0-24227600-1355235318_thumb.jpg

Despite today's vegetation, this photo shows nicely the prominent rock formation that named the fortress. Note the steep gradient that continues behind the rock

post-80-0-79623900-1355327753_thumb.jpg

The fortress has 3 stories underground and as all other German fortresses had running water, electricity, compressed air features and sewer canals.

post-80-0-66067500-1355328933_thumb.jpg

Just curious Egbert, is there much in the way of relics on this battlefield like that found around the Somme or Flanders EG: cartridge cases, fuse caps etc ?

I am sure they are there, but in 95 years leaves and compost, new trees and their roots have covered everything. There are occasionally finds, but 4 years of artillery bombardments surely have crushed everything. I have never found anything but shell fragments

Yes you can. Park your car at French national cemetery. Up to the summit plateau from there is a mere 1km walk. You must cross the cemetery and walk up easily to the summit. Of course you cannot visit the slope-relevant features outside the summit perimeters I have presented here, but yes all summit structures are accessible for you.

post-80-0-84890900-1355398030_thumb.jpg

Many thanks, like so many others my visits to the western Front so far have been to the Somme & Flanders but this thread is so fascinating I think a trip there may be on the agenda for next year.

To avoid any confusion on the many fortresses downhill, please study this map . The yellow line was the morning climb and the orange line is what I covered so far after lunch. The dotted orange line is what still lies ahead.

post-80-0-29481000-1355499572_thumb.jpg

40m below the last fortress "Veilchenstein" (Viola rock) lies fortress "Adlerhorst" (Eagle Nest). Both fortresses were connected by an underground passage. As with most other downhill fortresses, this one was also built into a prominent stand-alone rock formation at Western slope of HWK.

Today's vegetation does not allow a panorama overview , especially not in summer. In order to show you how such a/this rock formation looked like in the 20s, here is "Adlerhorst"

THEN

post-80-0-05724000-1355500251_thumb.jpg

I do not want to bother with next fortress "Beskide". So this is just one last picture of the string of fortresses on West slope of HWK. I explored all these fortresses down to the valley floor on this flank of the mountain some months later in more detail . If you wish, I can post the results when this thread is finished.

post-80-0-68087700-1355502281_thumb.jpg