Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

The Ambulance shown in your post #1240 ' presented by the workers of the National Filling Factory - Hayes, Middlesex ' is interesting, as these workers, who were mainly women, were themselves responsible for some of the most dangerous work undertaken on the Home Front to assist the war effort.

The National Filling Factories, of which there were less than 15 located around Britain, were operated by the Ministry of Munitions, and the specific work carried out in these ' Filling Factories ', was the actual filling of the shells and bombs with their explosives, with the workers using large quantities of TNT., RDX., and Cordite on a daily basis, with many of the Filling Factories working around the clock, this work was extremely dangerous and dirty, not to mention the then unknown long-term health risks of working with such products.

The Filling Factories were known by their number, the Hayes, Middlesex Filling Factory was Factory No.7, and workers sometimes wore armbands showing their Filling Factory number.

The attached photos show female Filling Factory workers filling an assortment of munitions, including 15 inch High Explosive shells, and 6 inch Howitzer Shells at Banbury ( Factory No.9 ) and Chilwell ( Factory No.6 ).

LF

IWMHU96426/32 These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-42613400-1390756050_thumb.j

post-63666-0-02692700-1390756079_thumb.j

post-63666-0-00318700-1390756109_thumb.j

post-63666-0-22488800-1390756132_thumb.j

post-63666-0-37554600-1390756222_thumb.j

National Filling Factory workers at Filling Factory No.14.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-49161900-1390756664_thumb.j

WW1 Munitions Workers recruitment poster issued by the Ministry of Munitions.

LF

IWM0402 This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-04461600-1390757073_thumb.j

Here is a Thornycroft somewhere close to the action with what appears to be an ASC driver and RA passenger...

A really nice example of the ' Thornycroft J Type ' Cargo GS 3-Ton Truck, one of the 5000 produced by Thornycroft during WW1, and also used as a mount for Anti-Aircraft Guns.

The Thornycroft trucks were fitted with their distinctive metal disc wheels, some early Thornycroft trucks had metal spoked wheels.

LF

Another Armoured Car ,this one from Wolseley Motors Limited, using a

5 ton Pierce Arrow lorry chassis imported from the United States and built for the Royal Marine Artillery. The four batteries they equiped shot down about twenty aeroplanes with their 2 pdr pom-poms.

Crimson Rambler.

post-89740-0-29941600-1390820213_thumb.j

Another Armoured Car ,this one from Wolseley Motors Limited,

Crimson Rambler.

Another WW1 British Armoured Car built on the imported American Pierce-Arrow chassis, with the armoured bodywork being completed by Wolseley Motors Ltd.

Whilst ' Wolseley ' may not be the first name to think of in connection with armoured cars, there is in fact a very good connection, in that Wolseley Motors Ltd., which was originally The Wolseley Tool & Motor Car Company of Adderley Park, Birmingham, was founded in 1901 by a partnership between the Vickers brothers, Thomas and Albert Vickers ( the armaments manufacturers ) and Herbert Austin ( the car manufacturer ).

So through their connections with Vickers, Wolseley would have had access to the required armouring expertise, and also very importantly, these armoured cars, which were originally supplied to the Royal Marine Artillery, were fitted with the Vickers 2 pdr Pom Poms. So, an excellent arrangement for both Wolseley and Vickers.

In 1914, the Company was re-named Wolseley Motors Ltd.

Attached is another photograph of the Pierce-Arrow/Wolseley Armoured Car, note the painted camouflage. These armoured cars, saw service in Belgium.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-28449400-1390831400_thumb.j

Hello LF

Your picture showing the camouflage on the Wolseley AC , explains what I thought was a poor picture of mine

Many thanks

Crimson Rambler

Edited by crimson rambler

Have just come across this photo of a driver,titled

Driver of the First- Aid Nursing Yeomanry cranking up her Ambulance.

Crimson Rambler.

post-89740-0-69325900-1390833794_thumb.j

Driver of the First- Aid Nursing Yeomanry cranking up her Ambulance.

Crimson Rambler.

This photograph is of a ' Napier ' 15 cwt. Ambulance made by D. Napier and Son Ltd., which had an excellent reputation for quality and reliability, attached is photograph of another ambulance, again made by ' Napier '. The woman shown on the left in the photograph, is a senior officer ( Commandant ) in the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry.
The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry or ' FANY ', were established in 1907 to form a professional medical link between the wounded men, on what would be the front line, and the field hospitals. The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry performed a wide range of front-line duties including driving, nursing and cooking.
A nice reference to ' Blighty ' chalked on the front of the ambulance, was no doubt a reminder of home, and hopefully, what would be their ultimate destination.

LF

post-63666-0-99836400-1390914155_thumb.j

The 10th hand-coloured photograph from the ' Dennis ' 1913 Motor Fire Engine Catalogue -

Farnborough Fire Brigade fire engine.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-37233800-1390914399_thumb.j

Looks like a couple of petrol cans , a water can and an oil can by the spare wheel.

A military version of the ' Napier ' ambulance, note the Divisional emblem on the side of the ambulance and also the ambulance capacity of 6 patients sitting or 4 patients lying.

LF

post-63666-0-71899300-1390920052_thumb.j

Our posts have just crossed, I was about to re-post the photo mentioning the 2 ' W.C. ' water cans, and the ' P ' petrol cans, so thanks for pointing them out.

Regards,

LF

Not WC but W and O - Water, Oil and Paraffin respectively.

(edited to correct Petrol to Paraffin)

Not WC but W and O - Water, Oil and Petrol respectively.

Thanks Andrew, Johnboy had already pointed out the water, oil and petrol cans, will edit accordingly.

Regards,

LF

Are you sure about "P" for petrol? Could it be "P" for Paraffin (for the lamps)?

Tony

Tony,

That is a very good, interesting question, and for me personally, the answer is I am not completely sure. However, I think the answer is as follows, as I did find a reference to an ASC ( Army Service Corps ) memo dated 11th June, 1915 which states " all tins that are used for oil, paraffin and water must be painted black, with a white W ( water ), P ( paraffin ) or O ( oil ) as the case may be marked on both sides ...Tins that are used for petrol are to be left in their original colour ". The memo does not mention any marking for a petrol can, therefore, it is safe to assume that those cans marked with a ' P ' were for paraffin, whereas those for petrol had no painted marking.

Regards,

LF

Are you sure about "P" for petrol? Could it be "P" for Paraffin (for the lamps)?

Tony

Tony,

Here is an example of a WW1 ' WD ' petrol can, which as per the ASC memo of 11th June 1915, is unpainted and has no painted marking, which confirms that those black painted cans marked with a ' P ', were paraffin cans.

Although the petrol cans were unpainted and had no painted marking, the top of the can is clearly stamped " Petroleum Spirit Highly Inflammable "

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-63427300-1390940955_thumb.j

Appear to be 2 different colours,bit confusing at night,

The petrol cans, had impressed marking on the top of the can " Petroleum Spirit Highly Inflammable ", which probably helped at night.

LF

That is a very good, interesting question, and for me personally, the answer is I am not completely sure. However, I think the answer is as follows, as I did find a reference to an ASC ( Army Service Corps ) memo dated 11th June, 1915 which states " all tins that are used for oil, paraffin and water must be painted black, with a white W ( water ), P ( paraffin ) or O ( oil ) as the case may be marked on both sides ...Tins that are used for petrol are to be left in their original colour ". The memo does not mention any marking for a petrol can, therefore, it is safe to assume that those cans marked with a ' P ' were for paraffin, whereas those for petrol had no painted marking.

Oops, my mistake - that is the order I have also seen previously but had misremembered the P. Will go and edit my earlier post to avoid confusion.

I doubt if the lettering on the cans was any help at night simply because the water, paraffin and oil were recycled petrol cans. I'm sure I've read about soldiers grumbles that their tea tasted of petrol. I have no idea whether tins were supposed to be recycled but I have a photo of the orderly room at 99th AA Section in Salonika that is covered in overlapping, unsoldered Shell petrol tins.

Keith

It seems strange that water tins are referred to as petrol tins. I suppose it is used as a way of describing the shape and size of the tin.