Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Another type of Mobile Workshop, was that used on the Western Front's light railway system. The light rail Mobile Workshop would have provided workshop facilities both for the repair and maintenance of the light rail system, and would also have been used by local Army units which had access to the light rail system and required workshop facilities either for their vehicles and or equipment.

In this June 1918 photograph, we see a light railway Mobile Workshop waggon, which again uses the workshop's drop side construction to form an extension to the working area, however, there are no legs to support this platform, and instead wooden boxes are used.

Power for the workshop's powered tools, lathe, grinder, drill etc., instead of coming from an on-board petrol engine and dynamo unit, comes directly from the locomotive hauling the Mobile Workshop, and on the right-hand interior wall of the Mobile Workshop we can see the power terminals and cables linked to the locomotive's engine.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-49567600-1431175840_thumb.j

The loco is a British Westinghouse PE.

ifanlloyd,

Many thanks for identifying that Tractor as a Westinghouse PE ( Petrol Electric ), it is always nice to have a much detail as possible added to the photograph.

Here is a nice photograph of a W^D Westinghouse PE Tractor No. LR ( Light Rail ) 2006 in service on the Western Front, just out of the photograph to the right, is a Dick Kerr Ltd. Petrol Electric Tractor.

Regards,

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-60680200-1431201059_thumb.j

The Light Rail Mobile Workshop shown in post # 3550, received electrical power for it's powered tools, machinery and electric lighting from an attached Westinghouse PE Tractor, which via the Tractor's 45 hp petrol engine linked to a generator and motor unit, could generate and provide 500 volts of electricity directly to an attached Mobile Workshop waggon.

A different type of Light Rail Mobile Workshop, as shown in the attached photograph, used an on-board petrol engine linked to a dynamo ( seen bottom left in the waggon ) to power it's tools, equipment and electric lighting, as was used in the vehicle mounted Mobile Workshops. However, in the case of the Light Rail Mobile Workshops and due to the restricted space available in the LR waggons, it was necessary to ventilate the exhaust fumes from LR Mobile Workshop's petrol engine, and for this purpose an exhaust pipe was fitted from to the petrol engine and up onto the roof of the waggon.

Also shown in the attached photograph, is the petrol engine's starter handle, which was located and cranked via an opening in the left-hand end of the LR waggon.

This type of LR Mobile Workshop also used the drop-side construction for the upper and lower side panels, using cables to support the extended workshop platform when in use.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-22470200-1431260707_thumb.j

Here are 2 examples of a type of a towed Mobile Workshop Cart used by the RFC/RAF, and although these photographs were taken in different locations at different times and the Mobile Workshop Carts have some minor differences in construction, they are basically the same cart.

The contents and layouts of the carts are also the same, including the particular type of workbench used.

The first example shows such an RFC/RAF Mobile Workshop Cart operated by members of the WRAF ( Womens Royal Air Force ), which dates this photograph post 1918.

The WRAF on the left, is working on the on-board petrol engine linked to a dynamo, which provided electric power to the powered tools and lighting, while others are working with a vice and bench drill mounted on the workbench, while a fourth WRAF is bring up a petrol can.

This photograph gives excellent details of this type of Mobile Workshop Cart's construction, both interior and exterior, the typical drop-side panels, with the lower side section, the work platform, supported by wooden legs.

As yet, this is the only photograph I have seen of a WRAF Mobile Workshop.

LF

post-63666-0-60405300-1431348032_thumb.j

Another ' Air Force ' Mobile Workshop Cart, this one in service with the Canadian Air Service, which is basically the same cart inside and out as that used by the WRAF in the previous post.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-07669100-1431348692_thumb.j

It's interesting to see how the machine tools were driven in the different photographs. In 3550, the power from the loco is driving an electric motor which, in turn, is driving shafts and belting. That would be common in every kind of factory at this time. In 3554, the equipment seems to be driven by individual electric motors as there are no shafts or belts to be seen, even to the lathe at the back of the cart.

Keith

It's interesting to see how the machine tools were driven in the different photographs. In 3550, the power from the loco is driving an electric motor which, in turn, is driving shafts and belting. That would be common in every kind of factory at this time. In 3554, the equipment seems to be driven by individual electric motors as there are no shafts or belts to be seen, even to the lathe at the back of the cart.

Keith

Keith,

Here is yet another method of providing power to a Mobile Workshop, in this example, an ASC Mobile Workshop which has taken on a more permanent role, is receiving power from an external petrol engine mounted on a wooden support frame placed on the ground adjacent to the Mobile Workshop ( to the left of the cab ), with the belt drive from the engine passing back into the Mobile Workshop. Unfortunately, it is not possible to tell if this external belt drive is being used for an individual machine or is driving several power tools.

Due to the more permanent role for this particular Mobile Workshop, it made more sense to locate the petrol engine externally, both to provide more space in the workshop area, and also greatly improve venting the exhaust fumes from the petrol engine.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-77600200-1431431535_thumb.j

The Mobile Workshop shown in the previous post was photographed in the town of Poperinghe, located 6 miles west of Ypres in West Flanders, Belgium, and dated 22 August 1917.

LF

This photograph shows another example of the ' Air Force ' type Mobile Workshop Cart, and also shows excellent details of the ' Bessonneau Aeroplane Hanger ' invented by Frenchman Julian Bessonneau around 1908, and used extensively by the RFC during WW1.
Bessonneau's Hangers were produced in pre-constructed kit form, which enabled the portable hanger to be relatively easily assembled on site, and if need be, dismantled and transported to another location where it could be re-assembled.
At the start of WW1, the Royal Flying Corps purchased substantial numbers of Bessonneau Hangers for use by the RFC both on the Home Front and the Western Front for the storage of aircraft, and found the Bessonneau Hangers particularly useful when used as temporary hangers whilst permanent hangers were being constructed.
Bessonneau Hangers were also widely used at RFC Aircraft Acceptance Parks, where aircraft were assembled and tested prior to delivery to RFC Squadrons.
The Bessonneau Hanger consisted of a large wooden framework with roof trusses with the hanger's sides supported by vertical stanchions which created a large open interior area which could be custom built to house 6 to 12 aircraft bays.
The hanger's exterior was supported by wooden flying buttresses for additional stability with the hanger completely covered in durable canvas secured by strong ropes tied to steel pickets driven into the ground.
The dimensions for the commonly used 6 bay Bessonneau Hanger were :-
Interior - Width - 65 feet. Length - 79 feet. Height - 13 feet.
Exterior - Width - 72 feet. Length - 92 feet. Height - 25 feet.
This photograph, taken shortly after WW1, also shows the smaller Holt 5 ton Tractor parked alongside the Mobile Workshop Cart.
LF

post-63666-0-84798300-1431519788_thumb.j

It is a great pity we can't see what's behind the soldier on the ground in 3557. I think the drive is by chain rather than by belt and there's no sign of a drive-belt on the platform so I'd guess that the motor is powering a generator and the tools are powered by electricity. The motor appears to be very much smaller than that on the platform being maintained in 3554. I think you'd have to assume that there wasn't the same power requirement.

Keith

It is a great pity we can't see what's behind the soldier on the ground in 3557. I think the drive is by chain rather than by belt and there's no sign of a drive-belt on the platform so I'd guess that the motor is powering a generator and the tools are powered by electricity. The motor appears to be very much smaller than that on the platform being maintained in 3554. I think you'd have to assume that there wasn't the same power requirement.

Keith

Keith,

Am I right in thinking that is a water-cooled stationary engine? As you say it looks like its a chain drive - I assume its the weight of the chain making it hang down so much and presumably it is either powering an on-board dynamo of shafting from which to run the other power tools.

David

I think the drive is by chain rather than by belt and there's no sign of a drive-belt on the platform so I'd guess that the motor is powering a generator and the tools are powered by electricity. The motor appears to be very much smaller than that on the platform being maintained in 3554. I think you'd have to assume that there wasn't the same power requirement.

Keith,

Looking at it again, it does look like a chain rather than a belt, and it gives us another form of power used in the Mobile Workshops, which as David has suggested, is possibly using a different type of engine.

Regards,

LF

Two photographs showing the RFC/RAF/RNAS' use of the ' Bessanneau Hanger '.
The first photograph, taken in June 1918, shows an aerial view of the Royal Naval Air Service ( RNAS ) aerodrome at Dunkirk, on the northern French coast, with 13 Handley Page Type 0/400 bombers of No. 14 Squadron RNAS lined up ready to start on a bombing raid. Also shown, are several ' Bessanneau Hangers ' erected at that aerodrome.
LF

post-63666-0-88668700-1431534229_thumb.j

An aerial photograph, showing a row of 9 ' Bessanneau Hangers ' erected at RAF Duxford.

LF

post-63666-0-26316400-1431534571_thumb.j

Coincidentally the daughter-in-law of Squadron-Leader C.P.O. Bartlett DSC has just lent me a 1st edition copy of the book 'Bomber Pilot 1916-1918' which was based on his diary's and written by C.P.O. Bartlett.

David

Coincidentally the daughter-in-law of Squadron-Leader C.P.O. Bartlett DSC has just lent me a 1st edition copy of the book 'Bomber Pilot 1916-1918' which was based on his diary's and written by C.P.O. Bartlett.

David

David,

An interesting read no doubt, and the Squadron-Leader may very well have been familiar with the aerial views of Dunkirk and or Duxford.

Regards,

LF

David,

An interesting read no doubt, and the Squadron-Leader may very well have been familiar with the aerial views of Dunkirk and or Duxford.

Regards,

LF

This is exactly what prompted me to write as his first posting was to Dunkirk

Keith,

Am I right in thinking that is a water-cooled stationary engine? As you say it looks like its a chain drive - I assume its the weight of the chain making it hang down so much and presumably it is either powering an on-board dynamo of shafting from which to run the other power tools.

David

It looks like it's cooled by water to me, David. It would have needed a cowl and fan if it had been air cooled and the shape is wrong.

It wouldn't have been the weight of the chain that's making it take up that shape but inertia. The chain is being thrown from the sprocket and it's travelling in more or less a straight line until the geometry forces it to turn and travel towards the other sprocket. From the distance between the two runs of the chain where it emerges from behind the body I'd guess that the reduction ratio is about 3:1.

LF, a continuously-running stationary engine is unlikely to cool itself from the ambient air so you have to have either water and radiator or a fan to move air and a cowl to direct it to the right places. The engines we've seen so far powering mobile workshops have been water-cooled but 3557 baffles me, I must admit. I have no idea what kind of motor it is because it seems so short. I don't think it's a flat-twin, like a Douglas, or you'd see the end of one cylinder. I suppose it's conceivably a single cylinder or, perhaps more likely, a vee-twin but it doesn't look long enough to be an in-line design.

Keith

LF, a continuously-running stationary engine is unlikely to cool itself from the ambient air so you have to have either water and radiator or a fan to move air and a cowl to direct it to the right places. The engines we've seen so far powering mobile workshops have been water-cooled but 3557 baffles me, I must admit. I have no idea what kind of motor it is because it seems so short. I don't think it's a flat-twin, like a Douglas, or you'd see the end of one cylinder. I suppose it's conceivably a single cylinder or, perhaps more likely, a vee-twin but it doesn't look long enough to be an in-line design.

Keith,

There appears to be more equipment behind that unit, including what looks like the top of a radiator ?

Regards,

LF

We have seen examples of Mobile Workshops used by the RFC/RAF and the ASC., another user of the Mobile Workshop was the AOC ( Army Ordnance Corps ) with the AOC Armourers using their mobile workshop facilities to maintain and repair every type of armament from a revolver to large calibre artillery.

In the attached photograph, we see an AOC mobile workshop located directly alongside a light railway line, with the AOC Armourers working on a selection of weapons, including Lewis machine guns and various rifles, which include Enfield and Ross rifles.

With the AOC mobile workshop facility located alongside the light rail track, that made the delivery of weapons to be repaired and the return of repaired weapons, that much quicker and easier.

LF

post-63666-0-68013400-1431611896_thumb.j

One of the key roles of the Army Ordnance Corps ( AOC ) was the maintenance and repair of the Army's vast weapons stocks, using both the AOC Mobile Workshops and also the permanent AOC workshops located at the various AOC Depots.

This photograph shows an AOC Mobile Workshop mounted on a Thornycroft J-Type Lorry, behind which can be seen the side of the wood panelled Stores Lorry which accompanied the Mobile Workshop.

LF

post-63666-0-86615600-1431692327_thumb.j

In some instances, it was necessary for the repair/maintenance of large artillery to be done on location, in which case, the AOC Mobile Workshop Unit would be dispatched to a specific location and the repair/maintenance of the Gun would be carried out in the Field.

This photograph, shows an AOC Unit replacing the worn barrel on an 8 inch Howitzer in Polygon Wood during the Third Battle of Ypres ( 26 September - 3 October 1917 ).

The new barrel would have been brought to the location on a heavy reinforced steel trailer, similar to that used to transport heavy artillery shells.

Note the beam inserted in the barrel, and used in lifting off the worn barrel and lowering the new barrel in place. Also, the 2nd barrel ( breech end facing ) is lying on the ground alongside the Howitzer.

Polygon Wood was located just outside the village of Zonnebeke on the Menin Road in West Flanders, Belgium.

LF

post-63666-0-71846800-1431693661_thumb.j

A reinforced steel trailer used by the AOC to transport heavy artillery barrels, which is very similar, if not the same, as the reinforced steel trailer used to transport heavy artillery shells.

LF

post-63666-0-26112600-1431694355_thumb.j

I hope this isn't too far off topic but it is transport related! Someone I know is creating some WW1-era narrow-gauge locos and wagons for the game Train Simulator 2015. He has given the wagons an identification symbol that he's seen in some photos but doesn't know the significance so i thought I'd ask the oracle that is the GWF. :-D The mark is a triangle containing three dots set in line with the corners. Is this a Divisional or Army sign, does anyone know?

Keith