Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

In addition to being used on the Western Front by the British Army, the Napier 15 cwt Ambulance was also in service in Northern France with both FANY ( First Aid Nursing Yeomanry ) and the VAD ( Voluntary Aid Detachments ), with both organizations providing volunteer Ambulance Drivers to the Western Front.

The first photograph shows a ' FANY ' Napier 15 cwt Ambulance being worked on, with the woman on the left being a senior officer ( Commandant ) in the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry

The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry or ' FANY ', were established in 1907 to form a professional medical link between the wounded soldiers and the field hospitals. The First Aid Nursing Yeomanry performed a wide range of front-line duties including driving, nursing and cooking.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-67427700-1428928322_thumb.j

Some more examples of ' FANY ' Napier 15 cwt Ambulances in service on the Western Front, with FANY personnel and their pet dogs.

The Ambulance on the left looks to have sustained some damage, possibly from shelling.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-76781900-1428938042_thumb.j

Amazing pictures. I never thought of agriculture as Army work.

Having seen pictures online of the annual France/ Flanders munitions harvest, a potentially hazardous job despite the distance from the front.

Guy.

Having seen pictures online of the annual France/ Flanders munitions harvest, a potentially hazardous job despite the distance from the front.

Guy.

Guy.

Guy,

Pleased to hear you found the photographs interesting.

Regards,

LF

A Napier 15 cwt Ambulance in service on the Home Front.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-71265100-1429013274_thumb.j

With reference to post # 3411 which showed Glidden's Napier motorcar fitted with metal flanged wheels allowing it to run on railway track, here is another example of a Napier, in this case a Napier 30 cwt British Army General Service Lorry, fitted with metal flanged wheels so as to run on railway track in German East Africa during January 1918.

LF

post-63666-0-47887800-1429103379_thumb.j

Two more photographs of the Napier 30 cwt GS Lorry fitted with flanged wheels, so as to run on railway track in German East Africa.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-29266400-1429104260_thumb.j

The Napier 30 cwt GS Lorry fitted with flanged wheels hauling a captured German coach during the German East Africa Campaign.

LF

post-63666-0-80840700-1429104798_thumb.j

Not wanting to detract from this exceptional thread, but these military vehicles were in a collection of train items I've recently bought. ANyone want to hazzard a guess at what make and age they are and come to that, what the cable lorry represents.

David

post-23614-0-90007900-1429121521_thumb.j

post-23614-0-04327000-1429121534_thumb.j

post-23614-0-21475700-1429121543_thumb.j

I'm sure I've got one of the armoured car things somewhere. Looks very familiar.

Could the lorry represent a balloon winch truck?

Nigel

There are 2 of the armoured cars on e bay. One with 1 wheel is being offered for £35. They are claimed to be manufactured by Britains which is what I suspected. I have no connection with the sales.

Not wanting to detract from this exceptional thread, but these military vehicles were in a collection of train items I've recently bought. ANyone want to hazzard a guess at what make and age they are and come to that, what the cable lorry represents.

David

David,

Lovely old toys, and I agree with Nigel, the first toy is a Observation Balloon Winch Lorry.

The other is a variation of an Armoured Car, interestingly, the toy gun is shown with a feature seen on a Vickers/Maxim Machine Gun rather than say a 13 pdr A.A. Gun, which is the Fusee Spring Cover ( see attached ).

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-06382800-1429125240_thumb.j

post-63666-0-16651200-1429125400_thumb.j

That's a neat observation LF! The vehicle with what must presumably be a winch (it does have a crank hanle on the opposite side is faintly maked 'Made in England', which surprises me as I don't recall ever seeing one before?

David

David,

The 'winch' truck, bears a distinct resemblance to an American 'Mack' truck of the Great War period.

Mike.

David,

The 'winch' truck, bears a distinct resemblance to an American 'Mack' truck of the Great War period.

Mike.

Mike,

Yes, a very strong likeness to the 1915 American ' Mack ' truck, same type/style of bonnet ( hood ) and cab canopy.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-97423300-1429132490_thumb.j

That's interesting, I'd told myself it must be French.

David

That's interesting, I'd told myself it must be French.

David

David,

The toy Winch Truck is most probably American, and known as a ' Slush ' toy so named after the ' Slush Mould ' method used to make these toys, and it probably dates from the early 1920's.

Here are some other examples of American 1920's ' Slush ' toys.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-60440700-1429136384_thumb.j

I can see your thinking but in this case the toy this is what can actually be seen.

David

post-23614-0-98377800-1429162173_thumb.j

post-23614-0-78321300-1429162182_thumb.j

I can see your thinking but in this case the toy this is what can actually be seen.

David

David,

You had originally mentioned that the Winch Truck was marked ' Made in England ' as it clearly is, yet I thought it's shape and design was more typical of some of the American trucks of that period such as the ' Mack ' and the ' Kelly ', particularly with that bonnet shape.

I am sure that, with what seems to have been the huge popularity in the inexpensive ' Slush ' toy trucks made in America in the early 1920's, that their designs found their way across the pond, and were copied in England by some toy makers. Either way, you have a really nice vintage toy Winch Truck.

Regards,

LF

Another ' Napier ' , which looks like a shortened 30 cwt Napier Char-a-banc fitted with flanged wheels, which the photograph caption tells us was converted by the A.S.C. ( Army Service Corps ) in East Africa to run on railway tracks.

LF

post-63666-0-69916200-1429185737_thumb.j

The chassis on the Napier 1-Ton Lorry, which came in both a Long and a Short Wheel-base version, was used for various types of light trucks ranging from Fire Engines, Ambulances and also an Army Machine Gun Carrier ( photographs to follow ).

Attached are 3 photographs of the Napier 1-ton Lorry, as shown in Napier's 1910 sales catalogue.

The first photograph shows the Napier 1-Ton ( Long Wheel-base ) Light Lorry.

LF

post-63666-0-07655400-1429190877_thumb.j

The Napier 1-Ton Light Lorry ( Short Wheel-base ) version.

LF

post-63666-0-30785600-1429191017_thumb.j

A nice coloured photograph of Napier's 1-Ton Light Lorry showing the ' Napier ' Radiator Grille design.

LF

post-63666-0-18764900-1429193002_thumb.j

A superb example of the Napier 1-Ton Light Lorry chassis used on a Fire Engine.

This particular Fire Engine was originally in service in Britain, and was subsequently shipped to Australia to be used in a small town's Fire Station.

Apart from the excellent details provided on the Napier 1-Ton Fire Engine, this photograph also provides excellent details of the Fire Engine's crew, their uniforms and their equipment.

Also of note, is the town's small Fire Station seen behind the the Fire Engine.

LF

post-63666-0-43181700-1429277418_thumb.j

LF,

Is it just the image or does the Napier fire appliance have pneumatic front tyres and solid rear tyres?

The background looks like a lot of the older houses in Sydney.

Scott

LF,

Is it just the image or does the Napier fire appliance have pneumatic front tyres and solid rear tyres?

The background looks like a lot of the older houses in Sydney.

Scott

Scott,

As you say, it is difficult to tell what type of tyres are fitted to Napier the fire engine, and as the photo is dated around the start of WW1, it could be either or both types, solid and or pneumatic. I have two other photographs of the same Fire Engine which I shall be posting, and they may us give a better clue.

I understand the photograph was taken in a small town in Western Australia.

Regards,

LF