Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Is it fully enclosed or is the top open?

johnboy,

Unfortunately, this is the only photograph I have, or have seen of this Napier, and it is hard to tell of the back is open or enclosed.

The rivets in the top of the panels could indicate it has a roof ?

Regards,

LF

I can't remember where, but I think I have seen something similar used by a sanitation dept of a council as a rubbish cart?

Does anyone have any ideas as to the purpose of this Napier vehicle ?

I can't remember where, but I think I have seen something similar used by a sanitation dept of a council as a rubbish cart?

My thoughts were along the same as Johnboy, coal lorry or similar, something where the bodywork might be exposed to excessive spade work and wood would be too soft (says Edward Woodward :whistle: ).

Photographed in the same location as the Napier in post #3434, this Napier 30 cwt Lorry has a most unusual metal plated bodywork. It is not a Tanker, as there is a hinged door at the rear for access into the metal compartment ? It could be intended to be an armoured compartment, yet the driver's cab looks to be of normal construction. Does anyone have any ideas as to the purpose of this Napier vehicle ?

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Night soil?

Thanks to all for the suggestions, which seem to be that this was some sort of waste or rubbish disposal lorry.

LF

A WW1 era photograph showing excellent details of the front of Napier's 16-seater Char-a-banc as shown in their 1910 sales catalogue ( post #3435 )

Based on the first two letters of the vehicle's number plate being ' CO ', this vehicle registration was an early Plymouth registration.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-07231100-1428501768_thumb.j

Have you noticed how happy most of them appear to be and not a seat belt in sight, come to that no windscreen, no hood, no side-screens, no on-board toilet, no drinks machine, precious little suspension, lungs full of exhaust fumes, and pipes and cigarettes almost obligatory. Grand days.

David

Have you noticed how happy most of them appear to be and not a seat belt in sight, come to that no windscreen, no hood, no side-screens, no on-board toilet, no drinks machine, precious little suspension, lungs full of exhaust fumes, and pipes and cigarettes almost obligatory. Grand days.

David

David,

Yes, happy days I am sure. It is therefore sad to think of what became of the young men in that photograph as WW1 loomed, and also of note is the sheer size of that Chara, which we can estimate based on the height of the adults standing alongside the vehicle.

Regards,

LF

Mike,

Although the photograph is dated 1922, the Dennis Chara could be much earlier, it would make a great addition to this Thread if you are able to post it ?

Regards,

LF

Lancs,

Sorry about the quality, didn't really want to take it out of the frame. Maybe someone can identify the location, large church in background, Roman equestrian statue to the right? Think that the Dennis chara's would have been almost new vehicles. The original sepia photo is approx 11" x 7-1/2".

Mike

post-106539-0-25390900-1428570506_thumb.

Lancs,

Sorry about the quality, didn't really want to take it out of the frame. Maybe someone can identify the location, large church in background, Roman equestrian statue to the right? Think that the Dennis chara's would have been almost new vehicles. The original sepia photo is approx 11" x 7-1/2".

Mike

Mike,

An excellent photograph of several Dennis 4-ton 30 seater Char-a-bancs, showing how popular the Chara still was post-WW1, hopefully someone will recognize the location.

Dennis introduced their 4-ton 30 seater Char-a-banc in 1920.

Regards,

LF

Two factory new Napier 1914 3-ton W^D Lorries destined for the BEF, with the 3-ton Napier Lorry being the largest of the Napier vehicles in service with the British Army during WW1.

LF

post-63666-0-68643600-1428580999_thumb.j

A Napier 3-ton Lorry used by British and Indian Signallers.

LF

post-63666-0-44919700-1428581301_thumb.j

Mikey & LF

Re Post #3460 the group of charas is in the square at Petersfield, Hants. The statue is of William IV in Roman costume.

Mike

Mike,

Many thanks for the location ID.

The other Mike!

Mikey & LF

Re Post #3460 the group of charas is in the square at Petersfield, Hants. The statue is of William IV in Roman costume.

Mike

Mike,

Well spotted ! I had been to Petersfield a couple of times.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-14000100-1428586954_thumb.j

Glad to be of help - I wonder if this could be a Dennis works outing, a stop off between Guildford and the coast.

Mike

Mike,

See my post #3447, the outing is of the staff of the 'Eastney Farm Housing and Grit Co', quite a large concern to have filled 8 chara's.

Mike.

Mike,

See my post #3447, the outing is of the staff of the 'Eastney Farm Housing and Grit Co', quite a large concern to have filled 8 chara's.

Mike.

Sorry, had missed your original mention of the photo.

M

A nicely restored Napier 3-ton W^D Lorry, and possibly the only one still existing.

LF

post-63666-0-18741000-1428668596_thumb.j

Two WW1 ( 1916 & 1917 ) Napier advertisements promoting their vehicle's military service.

The first advertisement, dated February 1916, shows the Napier 3-ton General Service Lorry sold to the British, French, Russian and Belgian Governments.

LF

Grace's Guide. This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-80081000-1428749945_thumb.j

Napier 1917 advertisement, again promoting Napier's wartime vehicle sales to the British, French, Russian and Belgian Governments.

LF

Grace's Guide. This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-79620300-1428750517_thumb.j

During WW1 the Napier 15 cwt truck was mainly used as the chassis for the 15 cwt Field Ambulance both on the Home Front, and the Western Front.

Attached is a photograph of a Royal Army Medical Corps 15 cwt Field Ambulance, taken at Vignacourt, a small town on the Amiens to Doullens Road in the Somme Picardy region of Northern France.

Note the wire wheels, typically fitted to the Napier 15 cwt Field Ambulance.

LF

post-63666-0-10673800-1428848528_thumb.j

Another very nice example of the Napier 15 cwt R.A.M.C. Field Ambulance, again photographed at Vignacourt.

Note the ambulance's patient occupancy limits shown painted on the ambulance's canvas, of 6 patients sitting and 4 patients lying.

Also, note the can rack located to the left of the spare wheel, which contains the marked cans for W - Water, O - Oil, P - Paraffin.

LF

AWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-50805900-1428850883_thumb.j