Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Acquired what appears to be an original set via eBay a little while back - some have 'cleared by censor' on them and some don't which I believe reduces their value to collectors - does anyone know what the difference between the two is?

Acquired what appears to be an original set via eBay a little while back - some have 'cleared by censor' on them and some don't which I believe reduces their value to collectors - does anyone know what the difference between the two is?

RobL,

I just checked my copy of The London Cigarette Card Company Ltd's 2012 Cigarette Card Catalogue, and for a complete set in very good condition they list the W.D. and H.O. Wills Military Vehicles ( 1916 ) 50 card set at 90 pounds per set.

They list both types, the set with the ' Passed for publication by the Press Bureau ' ( Censor ) notation on the card, and those without the notation, and both types are valued the same at 90 pounds per set.

They value the price per card at 1.80.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

From another period journal another addition to the collection. Caption is self explanatory..... Rod

post-36102-0-07746100-1351670670_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested there appears to be a set of the cards that were used to start this thread on ebay at the moment.

Starting at AUD50

Item number: 200810140014. Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Images of British Tanks in Palestine seem to be rather scarce so it was a nice find to trip over this one courtesy of the University of Newcastle.

Captioned "Tanks in the Palms" it show a couple of Tanks being checked out by a number of Australian Light Horsemen ... most probably

from the Australian Mounted Division. Rod

post-36102-0-98191300-1353733614_thumb.j

Motorcycle fitted with Marconi communications equipment.

LF

Here's the full set - second bike carries the mast. Think I've already posted last two pictures somewhere on another thread.

post-9885-0-48507000-1353769897_thumb.jp

Images of British Tanks in Palestine seem to be rather scarce so it was a nice find to trip over this one courtesy of the University of Newcastle.

Captioned "Tanks in the Palms" it show a couple of Tanks being checked out by a number of Australian Light Horsemen ... most probably

from the Australian Mounted Division. Rod

Female Tank at the back appear to be without cab and tracks

From the same collection ... this is not a bad image of a 75HP Holt towing a tracked trailer in Palestine courtesy of the University of Newcastle. Now to the question. Note the word on the rear of the canopy and the format of same. Does anyone know what the word is? I have seen same on a number of Holts operating in this theatre of operations but none of them have been clear enough to actually read. Rod

post-36102-0-00199000-1354022795_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

A British Rolls Royce Armoured Car supporting one of the Australian Mounted Divisions in Palestine. The census number LC^0714 is well defined on the bonnet.

Image courtesy of the University of Newcastle. Rod

post-36102-0-35432500-1355544187_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

Time to freshen the thread I believe. Best for 2013 to Forum members from downunder. Rod

post-36102-0-52275900-1359272470_thumb.j

Edited by BSM

Rod

The marking on the Holt canopy isn't a word, it is a stencil of a hawk moth caterpillar, the sign used by 895 Company ASC - 1st MT (Tractor) Company.

Mike

Mike good to hear from you once again and your valuable input is welcome. With the benefit of hindsight and this info it is now obvious why the marking is actually an image rather than text. Another small piece of the puzzle now answered thank you for the explanation. The War Diaries of the AIF Engineer Units who were supported by this Tractor Unit make interesting reading. Rod

• 1 month later...

And from a period copy of the "Manchester Guardian" this interesting image of the RNB resting during a strategic withdrawal according to the caption. Also placed in a "Maps" thread to assist an ongoing chat!

Rod

post-36102-0-34543000-1362564713_thumb.j

Equipped with motor cycles and well armed, a German Railway Protection Unit/Dispatch Riders - 21.3.15 at Avesnes (Northern France).

LF

post-63666-0-57334300-1362663898_thumb.j

Equipped with motor cycles and well armed, a German Railway Protection Unit/Dispatch Riders - 21.3.15 at Avesnes (Northern France).

LF

A great image of the opposition LF. Must say that whilst one has seen some very nice examples of Imperial German Uniforms over the years (some on another live forum thread) I have yet to see any surviving leather coats etc. as evident in this image. Storage and preservation would be a major problem I imagine. Rod.

Another German motor cyclist with leather coat

post-9885-0-53229500-1362738467_thumb.jp

Germany didn't use many motorcycles in WW1 by 1918 they had 5,400 whereas the British Army alone had over 48,000

Came across this in a 1918 OTC Magazine

Don, A nice image to see added to the collection. I could stand to be corrected but I believe it is a "Perry car" which became "Bean" after the War. Built around 1915/16. Rod

Another German motor cyclist with leather coat

post-9885-0-53229500-1362738467_thumb.jp

Germany didn't use many motorcycles in WW1 by 1918 they had 5,400 whereas the British Army alone had over 48,000

Interesting stats Centurion and a great image as well. Do you think that all of the MCs issued to Dominion Formations were included in the 48,000 figure or were they in addition when handed back in 1919?

Attached is the mate to the previous image from the "Manchester Guardian" period copy. Rod

post-36102-0-75635700-1362991106_thumb.j

Interesting stats Centurion and a great image as well. Do you think that all of the MCs issued to Dominion Formations were included in the 48,000 figure or were they in addition when handed back in 1919?

Depends when the count was made all I have is "British holdings after the armistice in 1918. The majority were in France"