Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Came across this photo on display in the Sheffield Kelham Island Industrial Museum. It shows a Sheffield SImplex made armoured car, which at a glance I took to be one of the Rolls Royce's.

Dave

post-23614-0-42072500-1342260757_thumb.j

The RR, Simplex and Lanchester armoured cars all had turrets made in the same factory as there was only one in Britain that could curve thin armoured plate without it cracking or without tempering that removed the hardness.. This sometimes gave rise to identification issues. The same factory also made some turrets for Renault FT tanks

It was mostly Austins that had twin turrets but the chassis does not look like an Austin.

That's because as the OP says its a Sheffield Simplex! Built to meet a Russian order 25 were supplied to the Russian army which found them unsatisfactory and so the bulk of twin turreted cars bought by Russia were Austins - a different vehicle.

Came across this photo on display in the Sheffield Kelham Island Industrial Museum. It shows a Sheffield SImplex made armoured car, which at a glance I took to be one of the Rolls Royce's.

Dave

Dave,

An excellent photograph.

LF

It was mostly Austins that had twin turrets but the chassis does not look like an Austin.

Phil,

There are other photographs of Austin Armoured Cars on this thread.

Here is another of some 1916 Austin ACs supplied to the Russians.

Note the special ' combat ' tyres.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-45433100-1342372305_thumb.j

Can you just imagine the shaking and jolting you'd recieve being carried away at speed on a tricycle?

The pictures in #258 are all Indians. The first picture in #261 is a Harley Davidson. Not so sure about the others though... Thanks for sharing!

Jan

The pictures in #258 are all Indians. The first picture in #261 is a Harley Davidson. Not so sure about the others though... Thanks for sharing!

Jan

They are great machines, pleased you liked them.

LF

• 3 weeks later...

I've been researching the Royal Enfield sidecar combination motorcycle, and whether any military vehicles were re-requisitioned by the Post Office after the First World War - can anyone help?

This looks similar - the machine gun can be moved to the side firing points.

1915 Automitrailleuse Renault.

This is not a Renault. It is known as "L'automitrailleuse du Sergent Gasnier. The armour was provided by FAMH. It had a 40 cv engine and a drivers position at each end of the fighting compartment. If I am translating the French from Les Vehicles Blinde Francais correctly it had a four wheel drive.AFAIK only one was built in 1915

This is not a Renault. It is known as "L'automitrailleuse du Sergent Gasnier. The armour was provided by FAMH. It had a 40 cv engine and a drivers position at each end of the fighting compartment. If I am translating the French from Les Vehicles Blinde Francais correctly it had a four wheel drive.AFAIK only one was built in 1915

centurion,

Many thanks for the update.

Regards,

LF

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent thread LF. Certainly has taken off and it should self perpetuate all being well! Your first post on the thread included a Wills card with a multiple bath set up. The attached image came from an early Australian Motoring journal which I photographed at a Southern Library a few years ago. Regards ... Rodpost-36102-0-99473600-1345467434_thumb.j

Somewhere else in this or an MC thread a Scott type was mentioned. The Australian Mechanical Transport Service based in Southern England during the War used a small number of this make. Attached image is from the journal mentioned in the previous Post from 1915. Regards ... Rod

post-36102-0-99959300-1345467679_thumb.j

Another matching vehicle i.e., a Mobile Kitchen built on a Saurer cab chassis. Rod

post-36102-0-30146800-1345728492_thumb.j

Thanks Centurion but you would not win the prize with this one. The image comes from "Motor Transports in War" by Horace Wyatt 1914 and the caption clearly labels the vehicle as a kitchen however I would agree that it is a tad on the 'small' size! Regards Rod

Thanks Centurion but you would not win the prize with this one. The image comes from "Motor Transports in War" by Horace Wyatt 1914 and the caption clearly labels the vehicle as a kitchen however I would agree that it is a tad on the 'small' size! Regards Rod

Captions are not always accurate, sad to say.

• 4 weeks later...

Captions are not always accurate, sad to say.

Well Centurion, just when you think a thread will kick on it dies in the proverbial!!

Here is another pic for the melting pot from the same publication mentioned above.

post-36102-0-22336800-1348298747_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

And another from the other side ... Rodpost-36102-0-33044900-1350381717_thumb.j