Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Two more ladies with the St Johns A (but what is the Yorkshire Mineworkers Convoy?)

Presumably, a convoy of vehicles donated by the Yorkshire Mineworkers Union ?

LF

Here is another donated by the Sutton Coldfield and District ?.

LF

post-63666-0-95316300-1379794483_thumb.j

Got a nice series of photos of Ambulances built on Canadian chassis donated by Durham Miners

A nice example of a WW1 donated ambulance with a very 2013 topical name :-

The "Prince George" Motor Ambulance.

" Our readers will be gratified to see this photograph of the ambulance which they and their friends have presented to the Belgian Field Hospital. It is a 15.9 Whitlock Motor Ambulance Express, specially constructed for field service, and can be adapted either to carry four stretcher cases, or two stretcher cases and four sitting cases, or may be used as an omnibus for eight persons. Its cost complete with four stretchers is £418. "

At 418 pounds, that was quite a sum back in WW1.

LF

post-63666-0-06152300-1379852660_thumb.j

Not quite a motor - possibly a green alternative?

Do you know where it is from, soldier looks Eastern European ?

Regards,

LF

German recce pilots were told to look out for mobile lofts as the presence of one probably meant an Allied HQ near by. Given that the loft needed to stay in position for a week to ten days so that the pigeons could register where it was the arrival of a new loft was a pretty good indication that something strategic was afoot. (or awing anyway)

German recce pilots were told to look out for mobile lofts as the presence of one probably meant an Allied HQ near by. Given that the loft needed to stay in position for a week to ten days so that the pigeons could register where it was the arrival of a new loft was a pretty good indication that something strategic was afoot. (or awing anyway)

Good point, and at the bottom of the photograph in post #343, there appears to be a trench, sandbags and laid out Brodie helmets ?

Motorised air defence gun used in London .

Nice clear photos. This mobile gun is illustrated on card No. 32 in this set ( post #103 ) - ' French Motor Auto Gun '.

Regards,

LF

The rear trunnioned 75 mm gun mounted on a De Dion Bouton was one of a handful of guns supplied in late 1915 to the RN Mobile Anti Aircraft Division. However the majority of French 75 mobile AA guns used in Britain were made by the Coventry Ordinance Works with a revised mounting (trunnions at the centre of gravity) and using Daimler and Lancia chassis as well as De Dion. A small number of rear trunnioned 75 mm guns mounted on a De Dion Bouton were also used (unofficially) by the Americans in France. However the French appear to have had problems producing this gun in adequate numbers and eventually adopted a trailer mounted version which was cheaper and quicker to manufacture and had the additional benefit of allowing a 360 degree traverse.

I don't wish to be a killjoy on this excellent thread but it drives coach and horses through the GWF policy on copyright and reproduction of images. I don't see any sources being quoted, nor the dates of the publication to assess whether copyright is still in force.

Perhaps a MOD could clarify this for us?

John

I don't wish to be a killjoy on this excellent thread but it drives coach and horses through the GWF policy on copyright and reproduction of images. I don't see any sources being quoted, nor the dates of the publication to assess whether copyright is still in force.

Perhaps a MOD could clarify this for us?

John

John,

I am sure it is the same for the other posters, if an image is specifically noted as being copyrighted, I do not bother to use it. However, most images are marked as being able to be used/reproduced for non-commercial purposes, as is the case with this Forum.

Regards,

LF