Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Horse - the movie

Steven Broomfield

One gent reported he had just seen War Horse, another asked him what it was about. First gent replied -

"Its basically Lassie meets Black Beauty. Set during the Second World War." :wacko:

So where does that leave the argument that the film will introduce punters to an in-depth study of the Great War?

Guest sanddancer

I went to see it last night and I thought it was rather good, it will probably end up being one of those films shown every Christmas or Easter!

To put it in context, it's an adaptation of a children's book - it's a dramatised, fictional story so don't expect it to be a documentary. Having said that I thought it was clear that a lot of effort had gone into giving it an 'authentic' feel - and the two children I took to see it both came away wanting to know more about the First World War, the sacrifices that were made and if it had an impact on their family.

It's also a fantastic advertisement for the British countryside.

So where does that leave the argument that the film will introduce punters to an in-depth study of the Great War?

You make a good point Steve. However...

I think the argument or opinion of the validity of Warhorse (and WWI movies) is at a place where there will be those as mentioned who will remain as ignorant as Baldrick.

But there will also be those mentioned in the above post who may not write a book on the War, but who will at least be keen or open minded to read a book or two, visit a museum, pay respects at memorials or visit the battlefields. It shall vary.

And I think the argument that it will be introductory is more aimed at inspiring youth rather than motivating gits at the pub who already "know everything."

I am meant to be taking my other half to see 'War Horse' on Monday evening. But my feet are getting colder. Especially after reading 'Private Eye' magazine's spoof 'Bore Horse' . I am desperately trying to go to the film in neutral mode as it were.

The way I view it is that I want to make a contribution to encouraging the wider community to be interested in the Great War and to take care of local memorials and war graves, and to be reminded of the sacrifices people of the time had to make. So am hoping that whatever I personally think of 'War Horse' the movie- it may be of some value in generating interest in the Great War.

Been to see it this afternoon and enjoyed it for what it was. Not up there on my list of greats, but held the audience - which ranged from grandparents to a group of quite young boys with a "responsible adult": the kids were very noisy in the run-up but didn't hear a peep out of them once it got underway.

I am with many recent posters on this: I took my 10 year old to see it last night and we both enjoyed it. It's not a short film and I only nodded off in a couple of places which, it being a Friday evening, was pretty good I thought - I ended up snoring when I went to see the last of 'The Lord of the Rings' films!

Oh, and I came close to shedding a tear at the end too.

Tom

Tom -do you mean by 'not a short film' that it is long ?:rolleyes: Thanks for the warning ! Re-assuring to know that there are GWF pals who have enjoyed it and will do my best to watch it without too many preconceptions. Regards, Michael Bully

I am with many recent posters on this: I took my 10 year old to see it last night and we both enjoyed it. It's not a short film and I only nodded off in a couple of places which, it being a Friday evening, was pretty good I thought - I ended up snoring when I went to see the last of 'The Lord of the Rings' films!

Oh, and I came close to shedding a tear at the end too.

Tom

I went to see War Horse with a friend last night and whilst agreeing with others that it was watched in total silence by a mixed aged group audience (Kept their attention) and also brings a wider band of people into the history of the Great War, all I can say is I am glad my friend had got free tickets, because if I had paid to see it I personally would have been very disappointed.

Dave

Ah, it takes all kinds to fill a pub.

Actually I believe some members on GWF with a greater knowledge, or experts if you like, of WW1, are at a disadvantage on watching a film like War Horse. Its probably difficult for some to take it as it is as proved by some comments on this thread.

I still think it is great that youngsters are going with their parents to see the film and becoming interested in WW1 via the film.

They will be the future to carry on with WW1 with sites like GWF and perhaps the future experts!

Regards MN

Strength and Honour

I totally agree with everything you have said in your post and am quite sure the film will give youngsters who have seen it food for thought and an interest in WW1 in the future.

Ah, it takes all kinds to fill a pub.

Actually I believe some members on GWF with a greater knowledge, or experts if you like, of WW1, are at a disadvantage on watching a film like War Horse. Its probably difficult for some to take it as it is as proved by some comments on this thread.

I still think it is great that youngsters are going with their parents to see the film and becoming interested in WW1 via the film.

They will be the future to carry on with WW1 with sites like GWF and perhaps the future experts!

Regards MN

Strength and Honour

Spot on i started my intrest with storys from the front page of the Victor Comic ,and watching The Blue Max at the cinema ,not exactly a accurate tale of the Great War ,with due respect how many 6 year olds start with Goodbye to all That or Middleparts of Fortune ?

Hello MN,

I couldn't agree more. There are quite a few members of this forum whose knowledge of The Great War is extremely impressive. Many of them, are willing to share their knowledge with some grace and to accept that we can't all be experts. It's a pity that this isn't always the case.

Harry

Now that's a blast from the past - the Victor Comic takes me back many years.

Spot on i started my intrest with storys from the front page of the Victor Comic ,and watching The Blue Max at the cinema ,not exactly a accurate tale of the Great War ,with due respect how many 6 year olds start with Goodbye to all That or Middleparts of Fortune ?

Hello MN,

I couldn't agree more. There are quite a few members of this forum whose knowledge of The Great War is extremely impressive. Many of them, are willing to share their knowledge with some grace and to accept that we can't all be experts. It's a pity that this isn't always the case.

Harry

Hi Beau Geste (centre page also in Eagle Comics),

Oh crikey, your post could be taken as ambiguous to me .

But I agree that there are some great experts with grace etc and I hope they will forever continue to offer their valuable knowledge. I will never be an expert, but I have learnt much since joining this site. I will forever rely on the experts, but like wise I like to give an opinion like others without meaning to give offence.

Regards MN

Beware The White Boar

Hi Beau Geste (centre page also in Eagle Comics),

Oh crikey, your post could be taken as ambiguous to me .

Hello MN,

Two points: I certainly wasn't trying to be ambiguous and secondly, I found your comment about the centre page of the Eagle comic REALLY interesting. Sometime between 1954 and 1960, ( It was so long ago I can't even remember the year ) a photo of me on Beau Geste, in the boxes at Whitehall, was published in the Eagle comic. It showed Beau as being brown rather than black. I wrote to the editor of the comic pointing this out and received a nice letter in return. The photographer who took the shot claimed it was the bright sunlight on that day that was to blame. I have to admit I never quite understood what he meant.

Do you still have a copy ?

Harry

I would like to make two points arising

1) The punter who stated that the film was in WW2 is probably beyond redemption. One of the history channels has been showing a series about how accurate a selection of major Hollywood films are and it included Apollo 13. Ron Howard, the Director told of a survey obtained after a trial showing when one person stated that he disliked the film as it was Hollywood BS and stated that the astronaults would have died in real life.You can't judge learning potential on one person.

2) This week figures showed that in the two weeks following the release of War Horse more copies of the book have been sold that in the 25 years to 2007 since its publication combined. It also had a surge on the play's release. Surely that must be viewed as a benefit and if that book prompts some of the readers into the realities of WW1 then what is the problem? Many of us on this site would have started our interest in an unscientific basis, mainly comics in my case and were brought up in the "Lions & Donkeys" days.

By the way I enjoyed War Horse, I acknowledge the errors (on pain of death not to tell my wife what they were) and continue to enjoy the cinema as a good night out

Jim

Hello MN,

Do you still have a copy ?

Harry

Hi Harry, I'm starting on some decorating for my sins in a minute.

But to answer your question, no unfortunately I have not got a copy of The Eagle ie Dan Dare Pilot of The Future (beware the Mekon), Beau Geste or Jack o Lantern or come to that PC 49 or Riders of The Range.

When Beau Geste was discontinued, there was a Great pictorial story of King Harold and the Saxons leading up to the Battle of Hastings. I kept the whole centre page story for a long time, but eventually got rid of them. The Last scene I still remember of a Saxon carrying the Dead Harold and looking up at the sky where our future history was being displayed in the clouds.

I could say more on the Eagle, but hey I see a War Horse on the horizon.

Regards MN

"Which way shall we run?"

" The Way is Forward!"

I would like to make two points arising

The punter who stated that the film was in WW2 is probably beyond redemption.Jim

Hello Jim,

About a year ago I was in the Londis shop here in the village where I live and was talking to an 'A' level history student from our local girls' grammar school. I mentioned that I was interested in WW1 and her response was: "Oh, we're doing WW1; at the moment were covering Montgomery's North Africa campaign !

She's now at uni...........reading archaeology.

Harry

No suprises there last night talking to an english neibour in our village 9 miles from Azincourt said he had relatives staying with him for Christmass ,said to one young lady yes we are not far from Azincourt and Crecy is only 40 mins away so both ends of the 100 years war says he ,she replied oh when was that ! and shes a year in to a history degree at Cambridge !

I took my 14 year old Granddaughter last evening and by the time we had had 30 minutes of adverts, I was ready to leave!

So what did we think of the 120 mins of our life - boring and overated.

As Aimee said afterwards 'If people cried at that they must be hyper-sensitive' Black beauty with guns. In fact Mrs M said that it was not as good as black beauty.

A couple of times, Aims and I glanced at each other and raised our eyebrows at the WW1 content.

To make matters worse, I have spent today in agony as sitting in the horrible seats has made my arthritis flare up :(

The only good thing was the pre cinema meal - they bogged up our order and we got 25% off the bill :D

A great way to teach kids about WW1 is the stage version of 'horrible histories' Aims and I both enjoyed that.

"Oh, we're doing WW1; at the moment were covering Montgomery's North Africa campaign !

I'm not sure which pains me more, Harry — the young lady's ignorance or the missing apostrophe in "we're" and the omitted closing quote mark ... :whistle:

No suprises there last night talking to an english neibour in our village 9 miles from Azincourt said he had relatives staying with him for Christmass ,said to one young lady yes we are not far from Azincourt and Crecy is only 40 mins away so both ends of the 100 years war says he ,she replied oh when was that ! and shes a year in to a history degree at Cambridge !

Hello Hesmond,

Yes, and both our examples are students who no doubt attended one of our better grammar or public schools and I have no doubt that some (many) of the members of this particular forum had a similar education ( but perhaps showed greater promise ). But they aren't the sort of learners I was referring to earlier when I had the temerity to suggest that "historical accuracy" was by no means the primary consideration that teachers must adhere to when teaching the subject.

In many city centre schools, (and I use the term "city centre schools" simply because I know of no label that is better to explain my point) the learning process bears very little resemblance to that which was no doubt experied by many members of this GW Forum. Here teachers really do earn their bread. They don't necessarily have students sitting in front of them who come from good, stable homes with parents who are convinced about the value of a goods education. Many, are the children of broken relationships. living in less than ideal conditions; kids whose parents are often living off benefits,; parents who sometimes have no conception of the value of a good education. To make matters worse too many don't even speak English and are often only interested in where they'll get their next fix.

Years ago, there was a fim starring Lulu and, I think Sydney Poitier. It was called "Yes sir". Let me tell you that in twenty years or more of teacher training, I never came across a teacher who could turn a group of that sort around as he did.

Steven Broomfield criticised me earlier for " criticising" his favourite teacher. I would never have done that intentionally. Those of us who attended schools where effective learning was the order of the day can probably remember a teacher who made a lasting impression on them. In my case it was Mr JH Jones at my primary school in Liverpool. I was about ten but I remember to this day his address (and believe me thats a heck of a long time).He wrote it on the board before he left . It was 6 Trelawney Avenue, Flint, North Wales. Like Steven's teacher he wasn't only a superb human being, he interested us and because of that we learnt.

Harry

I'm not sure which pains me more, Harry — the young lady's ignorance or the missing apostrophe in "we're" and the omitted closing quote mark ... :whistle:

I was going to say b------s but what the hell. If that's all you can contribute Siege (and I remember you pulling me up a long time ago for "seige") I wouldn't bother.

Harry

I was going to say !!!!!!!!!

oh I think everything has already been covered, so I'll save my fingers.

I was going to say b------s but what the hell. If that's all you can contribute Siege (and I remember you pulling me up a long time ago for "seige") I wouldn't bother.

You won't ever forget how to spell 'siege', Harry, and you were quick enough to come back and correct 'gor' to 'for'...

My contribution is merely to wonder why your omissions are inconsequential human errors but the young lady's mistake is cause for concern.