Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Haka performed at the Menin Gate

GlenBanna

No problem with the banzai. It's the kami kaze that would bother me. I've played rugby against these lads and they're not all as small as you might think. :thumbsup: Antony

No problem with the banzai. It's the kami kaze that would bother me. I've played rugby against these lads and they're not all as small as you might think. :thumbsup: Antony

kia ora again, sorry to say the haka didnt work last night against australia ,aust 25 --nz 20--. there cant be enough maori in the allblacks to have the mana. time to put the haka back where it belongs . only done by maori .not every joe blogs and his dog, its bad luck ,it might be utu by the old maori . regards charles

While I don't think the haka performance was necessarily inappropriate I do wonder at the sort of precedent it can set. Those who think it appropriate, for the most part, feel nothing is wrong with the act because they identify with it and see nothing wrong with the performance That's not surprising and understandable. I don't really know how relevant the haka was to the average Anzac in 1914-18, but so be it, fill your boots. It has nothing to do with Canadian soldiers, (who were predominantly British-born anyway in the first two years of the war) But, I do wonder, if the act performed was specific to some other culture, German, for example, or one with Flemish Frontbeweging overtones, just how supportive otherwise enthusiastic posters would feel. If not, think long and hard about how you justify this cultural expression at the Menin Gate.

I am not spouting some in terrorum argument, nor am I being critical of the haka. I didn't know what it was and am now educated in its origins. But don't be surprised if other people with other values and views, you may not like, pipe up after the ceremony from time to time. I hope you will embrace this cultural diversity with the same zeal.

Next visit I think I will bring some teddy bears and candles to blow in the wind...... :rolleyes:

Somehow I wonder.... how many teens so so overcome with emotion that they suddenly do a Haka... ?

The only live Hakas I have seen have been in bars, or at 1-2am at parties... sometimes hot even Kiwis doing them.

I dont want to get into the argument about if the menin Gate is the right place for it... but anyone want to take a bet that this was a dare or cry for attention?

If we knew the lads name and googled it in 2014... chances are he will have been arrested for streaking at the Oval.

Best

Chris

Chris I think you might lose that bet. Please read my earlier post. It was obviously preplanned and with permission.

Glen

I found it really interesting that the Haka was included in the French 14th of July celebrations...

This year one of the focuses were the French overseas troops, very prominent in the celebrations were troops from French Polynesia doing a Haka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAO2OD_J9Gw&feature=related

As a Kiwi I found that very interesting. Never realized that the Haka was also recognised to be part of non Maori culture. I guess that might explain where the Maori may have originated from or at least travelled through on their way here many years ago..

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

I found it really interesting that the Haka was included in the French 14th of July celebrations...

This year one of the focuses were the French overseas troops, very prominent in the celebrations were troops from French Polynesia doing a Haka

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

kia ora , that is very interesting with the haka in french polynesia. tonight at the rugby wold cup , the all blacks verse tonga . both sides have their own war dance( haka),. the rugby union are deciding wether they will do their haka. one at a time or opposing each other, as i would guess both sides doing the haka at the same time . could get fired up by each others haka and have a good fight before the match started , that is what the haka origanaly was for , haka then kill. regards charles

• 1 year later...

I wrote about this last year. I had a rather unexpected comment which was removed by the moderator in a timely fashion, but which I saw nevertheless. The comment called me "a prat" for supporting the lad who performed the haka for the NZ fallen. Whether impromptu or not, I'm not unduly bothered about this; I stand by my support.

I've got mates in the NZ and Australian Armed Forces, who I have served with in our own. Fast forward some months and, with a consideration of ceremony and relevance, I thought I'd post the following clip from YouTube. In a month which has seen far too many casualties, both NZ, Australian, and British, I thought I'd show a spontanious, serious, and more genuine display of the haka for the three recent casualties of the War on Terror.

And while we're at it:

God bless.

Deerhunter.

Thanks for posting.

We watched that one afternoon after school, with some of the kiwi lads, none of us spoke for a while after, it was profound

Thank you for posting it here

Cheers

Shirley