Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 24th March 2012

AlanCurragh

Doug, totally agree, a great day an d very nice to meet some of those who I had spoken to so many times.

Cheers Andy.

Just adding my voice to the chorus of praise. Put more faces to names, met old friends and made new ones, learned a lot and had a good laugh

Roll on next year

cheers Martin B

Thanks folks for all your kind comments. Apologies for my farcical attempts at trying to operate the DVD player on my own laptop - Chris P showed admirable patience in the presence of an idiot!

Thanks too to Andy, Richard, Chris, Chris and Gary for their outstanding talks.

I've emailed the Tally Ho to pass on your comments about the catering and generally outstanding service they give us - and also mentioned a couple of dates for next year. Once a date is sorted out, I'll let you know.

Apologies for my farcical attempts at trying to operate the DVD player on my own laptop

Don't worry about it - it was no big thing. Windows (even 7) is not always the simplest or most intuitive environment for this. There are a number of free (FREE) applications available for this that might be used to set up an environment for doing this sort of thing and it might be worth setting something up in advance of next year. If you want any help I'm willing to volunteer (in return for a cushion for next years conference!). I'm going to be in the Balkans with K &K for a week in May so if you want I could discuss it with them off-line then.

I totally agree with the above sentiments.Well done to all concerned for an interesting,informative and thoroughly enjoyable day,plus,i purchased two Peter Hart hardback books,signed,for the bargain price of £20(Gallipoli & 1918:A very British victory).

Anthony.

I would also like to add my thanks to Alan and Sue for an excellent day.

• Other factors o

I'm glad you said that Centurion as I was sat in front of you much of the time and was concsious by mid afternoon of being increasingly fidgety. I had to give up in the end and stand at the back. In my defence I had spent much of the preceding week squashed into a number of small boats and my back and bum was shot to bits. But apologies never the less.

I have had fig rolls presented to me by a secret present giver (obviously someone who loves them as much as I)

If that was Bruce I am going to have to review his membership of the Anti Figrdoll Leauge!

Just for one day of the year, I decided that hostilities should be suspended.

As a result, I ventured forth into my local Co-Op and purchased some of those dreadful things, presenting them to Kim on the day.

As a result, an armistice broke out and peace and tranquility reigned on the fig front for the day. However, now that the Conference is over for another year, hostilities may be resumed.

Fig rolls are, and ever will be, just wrong!!!

Bruce

Just for one day of the year, I decided that hostilities should be suspended.

As a result, I ventured forth into my local Co-Op and purchased some of those dreadful things, presenting them to Kim on the day.

As a result, an armistice broke out and peace and tranquility reigned on the fig front for the day. However, now that the Conference is over for another year, hostilities may be resumed.

Fig rolls are, and ever will be, just wrong!!!

Bruce

Phew thought I'd lost you there for minute!

You're giving me ideas for next year's catering at the Tally Ho - Fig Roll Surprise anyone?!

You're giving me ideas for next year's catering at the Tally Ho - Fig Roll Surprise anyone?!

You might find a Bombe Surprise being detonated underneath it, if you do.

Seriously: in terms of mass catering this weekends buffet could hardly be improved upon.

Even a veggie like me could find pleanty of choice to graze upon.

I see that some poeple are complaining about the 'hardness' of the seating.

Probably because it stopped them having a post-lunch siesta during the presentation of the afternoon papers. :w00t:

Simon.

Hi,

I would also like to add my thanks to all concerned for this last weekend

Regards Mark

post-14045-0-54122900-1332766754.jpg

post-14045-0-15448500-1332766767.jpg

post-14045-0-15558700-1332766812.jpg

post-14045-0-76953400-1332766821.jpg

post-14045-0-93534100-1332766861.jpg

post-14045-0-95961400-1332766868.jpg

post-14045-0-25941900-1332766917.jpg

post-14045-0-06626700-1332766927.jpg

post-14045-0-41054700-1332766963.jpg

post-14045-0-48946300-1332766973.jpg

post-14045-0-90283900-1332767012.jpg

Great pictures, Mark - thanks. Though I'm not sure what my brother is doing with that Vickers!

I'm not sure what my brother is doing with that Vickers!

Looking for some Tarts to make a party?

Great pictures, Mark

Well, apart from the one of me :o Must be one of the worst I've seen, it looks like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards! From now on I want all photos which have me in it (even if it's so much as a fingernail) to be passed by me before they are allowed to go on public display - otherwise I might have to walk round with a paper bag over my head all the time to avoid offending anyone :lol:

See how easy it is to lull Bruce into a false sens of security? He thinks there was a truce called on Saturday, little does he know I was laying a trap for him, he will find out when he least expects it :lol:

Can I second (or is that 5th) the cushions on chairs bit? In fact, next year, as well as bringing my slippers (thanks for laughing at me Sue) I think I may bring my own cushion (and pillows) - purely for comfort you all understand.

Still think it was brilliant!

• Admin

I'll third the cushions and maybe not put them so close together, on hot day it was a bit close, ok as one side was my spouse but the other.........

Michelle

Well now, the choice of firm or soft pillows at the Premier Inn was a surprise - could you have borrowed the appropriate one for the chairs at the Tally Ho? Incidentally, their chairs seem to have been designed by an Orthopeadic Surgeon to drum up some business.

Kim

Not the best photo, I agree. But at least it wasn't the one of you in the pub clutching TWO large glasses of wine :lol:

Roger

I don't why you are complaining Kim. Someone appears to be genuflecting towards you.

That looks suspiciously like the top of Bruce's head. I can't see him genuflucting to a fig roll lover!!

Roger

Roger

Yes, I saw that one of Kim also. Disgraceful. But she looked decidedly happier than in the one above.

I'd met her earlier at the Premier Inn but she wasn't for letting on who she was. Kept me guessing until fig rolls were mentioned. What a giveaway! :lol:

Paul

I am most certainly NOT genuflecting!

I am merely pointing out to those younger than me, which must be most, what happens to your head if you do not eat your greens.

Next year, Kim and I will keep bumping into each other, if we both have to wear paper bags over our heads all day.

Bruce

Kim

Not the best photo, I agree. But at least it wasn't the one of you in the pub clutching TWO large glasses of wine :lol:

Roger

I woz holding them for someone - honest :whistle: