Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 24th March 2012

AlanCurragh

<snip>

I am particularly indebted to Simon J for his insight into the motivation of crack German stormtroopers :lol:

<snip>

Paul

I direct the honourable gentlemen to the answer I gave some moments ago :w00t:

Cheers,

Simon

May I also add my thanks to all concerned. There was only one thing missing - the date of the next one!

Roger

• Admin

A very enjoyable day at the GWF conference. Manty thanks to Alan and Sue for all their hard work and the 5 speakers, a grand day out.

Michelle

A very splendid occasion from beginning to end - the overture being drinks in the Old Contemptibles - the finale in my case was an exceptionally pleasant bread and butter pudding which rounded off the dinner. (You can tell where my priorities lie.)

The bits that didn't include any eating or drinking were quite good too. :lol:

A great weekend.

Many thanks to the esteemed organisers.

A superb day. Good venue, excellent speakers and presentations and through organisation by Allen and Sue. Good to meet some more of the members old and new.

When's the next one?

Alan and Sue ,

Thank you both for the wonderful day all of us enjoyed yesterday .

MJohnson (Maurice )

A triumph!

Many thanks to Alan and Sue for all their hard work in organising such a superb day.

When do you want the deposit for whenever next years' conference is organised?

Bruce

Thanks to Alan and Sue for a superb event.

All of the speakers were excellent. The OC's was a treat the evening before. I am aready looking forward to next years event.

Regards

Pete Knight

www.oldcontemptibles.com

Now I'm back home a review al la those in some hotel guides

• Overall impression - Excellent
  • The best bits - The speakers and the people one met
  • The worst bits - The seats, as my mind was refreshed my bum grew numb - I imagine the police use them "you're staying on that chair until we get a confession chummy"

• Other factors of note - the bar served Ruddles - hurrah!
  • External factors - Stayed in the Premier Inn with many others. As a soulless chain hotel went it was both comfortable and clean. The thought occurred that as there were so many forum members there would it be worth seeing if we can get a group discount in future?
  • General - A nicely varied range of speakers both in subject and style. Andy didn't really need to point a machine gun at the audience to keep our attention. Richard was both interesting and moving. Chris P gave us a picture, literally, of the way in which images and words could be (and were) manipulated even then to tell a particular story (the juxtaposition of shots of British officers taking tea in a trench with the link "Meanwhile the Australians.." was a mean bit of national character assassination); Chris B's précis of the Battle of the Lys made a complicated and muddled subject much clearer (by the way Chris the thought occurred that this sounded very much like the battle described in the closing chapters of Mr. Standfast with its strung out series of blobs rather than continuous trenches, the feeding in of all sorts of bits and bobs of units and the anxious wait for the French to reinforce - do you know if Buchan did indeed have this in mind?) Finally Gary pulled off a minor miracle by doing a presentation on Haig without any blood on the carpet or walls afterwards (mind you I noticed that all Andy's weaponry had been already removed, presumably as a precaution).
    Whilst active pedants like myself might have found the odd nit to pick all were exceedingly knowledgeable and I for one learnt much. When the Magicians came in for their session it was too late - the magic had already left the room.
    Now despite all of this I think those of us who attended should adopt the attitude shown in the advert for some (probably noxious) breakfast cereal "Nah you wouldn't like it". The reason - at its current size the conference just about fits in the Tally Ho so we don't want to attract any more participants as ,whilst my glutinous maximus might appreciate a new venue with better seats, it would be a shame to move - so let's hog it all to ourselves!!

• Organisation - spot on. None of the joins showed - congratulations Alan and Sue

Thanks for some flawless organisation Alan and Sue - great venue, really friendly speakers who were very generous with their time and attention.

Great to see legends in the flesh, make new friends and put faces to internet avatars! You're all very patient with this dilettante who barely knows his 'learning curve' from his infantry handbook...

Managed to smuggle new books in past the wife - result....

Good afternoon All,

Just to echo the thoughts and thanks expressed by previous contributors, well done Alan and Sue ! An excellent venue with knowledgeable speakers and perhaps more importantly, everyone was so obviously having a great time!

Thanks to everyone who bought our books. It was a shame to lose them but a good boost to our funds. Another terrific occasion which Centurion has aptly summarised. Well done to all concerned.

However, Andy Robertshaw could have mentioned that many of those weapons were, of course, manufactured in huge quantities in the Second City e.g. BSA and Lewis guns and William Mills, despite being Sunderland born, ran his aluminium alloy castings business at the Atlas Works, Grove Street, Smethwick,in 1914 and in 1915 came up with his 'bomb' and began to manufacture them at his Bridge Street Works, Birmingham. He lived at 14, Church Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Richard Van Emden mentioned Sir Oliver Lodge in the context of wartime spiritualism.He was 'Vice-Chancellor' of Birmingham University during the war and a renowned physicist. He lived at Mariemont, Westbourne Road, Edgbaston, near Mills in a house called Mariemont where only the name at two gateposts to his drive remain. The site of the house is now a hall of residence of Birmingham City University. His son, 2nd Lt Raymond Lodge, was killed at Hooge on 14.9.15 (2nd South Lancs).He has a memorial in St George's Church, Edgbaston. In 1916 his father published 'Raymond or Life and Death' which has a lot of detail on his attempts to use spiritualism but also reprints his son's letters from the front. Still available today.

could have mentioned

Hi Jack/Alan,

At least they mentioned Arsenal had beaten Villa 3-0 ........!!!

PS. Excellent ruse, holing up in the West Midlands Police Club whilst on the run :thumbsup:

Sir Oliver Lodge in the context of wartime spiritualism.He was 'Vice-Chancellor' of Birmingham University during the war and a renowned physicist. He lived at Mariemont, Westbourne Road, Edgbaston, near Mills in a house called Mariemont where only the name at two gateposts to his drive remain. The site of the house is now a hall of residence of Birmingham City University. His son, 2nd Lt Raymond Lodge, was killed at Hooge on 14.9.15 (2nd South Lancs).He has a memorial in St George's Church, Edgbaston. In 1916 his father published 'Raymond or Life and Death' which has a lot of detail on his attempts to use spiritualism but also reprints his son's letters from the front. Still available today.

He is mentioned in various places by the historical and crime Novelist Josephine Tey (Elizabeth Mackintosh) author of Brat Farrar, The Daughter Of Time, The Franchise Affair etc to illustrate the gullibility of seemingly fine minds. He was apparently bamboozled out of money in 'seances' by "a piece of fine gauze on a fishing line" representing ectoplasm. (Tey believed in striking a happy medium).

What an absolutely brilliant weekend!

I cannot add to what's already been said, it's all been expressed so well already. Allan and Sue really cannot be thanked enough for taking this on and organising such a high calibre event.

I have had fig rolls presented to me by a secret present giver (obviously someone who loves them as much as I) and, at the other extreme, abused all weekend by someone impersonating a GWF member - thanks Simon J!!!

There are never enough hours at these events to talk to everyone. I was lucky enough to meet and greet all my old friends (you were missed Skippy, glad you're able to report in though!) and make even more new friends Tony, Andy (Ice Tiger), Ian W, Tony Bully and many others along the way - sorry to all those new friends I've yet to meet (hopefully next year).

Allan, Sue, take a breather, you deserve it!

Also enjoyed reading Centurion's summary of the conference and his the observations concerning Sir Oliver Lodge.

Welcome your comments with regard to the Birmingham connection Alan.

There was a thread about Sir Oliver Lodge some time ago after the broadcast of the Radio Play 'Between Two Worlds'.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=150603&st=0&p=1449205&fromsearch=1entry1449205

Regards,

Michael Bully

Thanks to everyone who bought our books. It was a shame to lose them but a good boost to our funds. Another terrific occasion which Centurion has aptly summarised. Well done to all concerned.

However, Andy Robertshaw could have mentioned that many of those weapons were, of course, manufactured in huge quantities in the Second City e.g. BSA and Lewis guns and William Mills, despite being Sunderland born, ran his aluminium alloy castings business at the Atlas Works, Grove Street, Smethwick,in 1914 and in 1915 came up with his 'bomb' and began to manufacture them at his Bridge Street Works, Birmingham. He lived at 14, Church Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Richard Van Emden mentioned Sir Oliver Lodge in the context of wartime spiritualism.He was 'Vice-Chancellor' of Birmingham University during the war and a renowned physicist. He lived at Mariemont, Westbourne Road, Edgbaston, near Mills in a house called Mariemont where only the name at two gateposts to his drive remain. The site of the house is now a hall of residence of Birmingham City University. His son, 2nd Lt Raymond Lodge, was killed at Hooge on 14.9.15 (2nd South Lancs).He has a memorial in St George's Church, Edgbaston. In 1916 his father published 'Raymond or Life and Death' which has a lot of detail on his attempts to use spiritualism but also reprints his son's letters from the front. Still available today.

Organisation - spot on. None of the joins showed - congratulations Alan and Sue

A splendid summing up from Centurion.

My sympathies went out to the poor folk staring down the barrel of a Vickers most of the day!

Yes, I would agree that the Tally Ho was at capacity - but there was a happy buzz about the place all day. However, it would be difficult if future demand meant there had to be a quota, rationing or a ballot. I will leave the head-scratching about that to my betters.

As a regular victim of conference food, they do an excellent job at the Tally Ho - it certainly helps one concentrate on the speakers.

Excellent, varied, stimulating presentations again this year.

When I left the Magicians were deeply imbedded in discussions about sawing a lady in half or whatever - and one of the prestidigitators appeared to be sound asleep - why is there never a Mills around when you need one!

Superb weekend, thank you to Alan and Sue!

I cannot add much to Centurion's excellent precis.

It was a great pleasure to put faces to so many forum names. All in all a weekend that could hardly be bettered! (Well, I couls have done without a fellow B'ham Ph.D student's constant reminders about my progress, but hey, who's taliking about Simon J?)

Regards

TonyE

I can add little to what's been said except my thanks to the pile in front of Messrs Rat & Co. What a brilliant day and the third bullseye in a row.

Roll on next year!

Keith

What can I say that has not already been said!

Tremendous day.

Thanks to all who made it such a cracking event.

Regards

Martin

why is there never a Mills around when you need one!

Once came across a guy (and yes English was his second language) who referred to British soldiers advancing and tossing a Mills and Boon into the Turkish trenches [Whereupon, no doubt the enemy became so engrossed in what Melissa did with the hansom stranger that they failed to notice much else]

I'd like to add my congratulation to the spealers, caterers, and Tally Ho staff for a great day - but particularly to Alan and Sue for organising an excellent event.

At least they mentioned Arsenal had beaten Villa 3-0 ........!!!

Why we have to have a prof from down south who is employed at OUR university having a dig at our club in our city I do not understand! Not the only thing he did wrong. OTT on 'bite and hold' as well me thinks.

Thank you to Alan and Sue for another successful day, good to meet up with forum friends.

Regards Doug