Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

I thought the same but I checked another photo to follow in full dress and it's the same.

Not sure of the reason behind this but I'm sure someone would know.

This pic I can date.

It's taken in Deal in Feb 1914.

My GGF front row second from left.

post-5914-021659500 1295819584.jpg

I thought the same but I checked another photo to follow in full dress and it's the same.

Not sure of the reason behind this but I'm sure someone would know.

This pic I can date.

It's taken in Deal in Feb 1914.

My GGF front row second from left.

Great photos and again interesting to see the cap covers. I wonder what Grumpy will make of the tunics. I suspect he may well have seen them before.

I'm sure the all knowing Grumpy has.... Thats a compliment !

My next picture is of a family member with a chap from the Blackwatch.

I have posted this pic before to identify the regiment of the man standing but have other questions.

On the Gloster guy he has an emblem above his stripes on his right arm - any ideas and also the BW chap has an emblem above his WO crown on his left sleeve again any ideas ?.

Also I have noticed that my Gloster man has not got the usual TF shoulder title which makes me swing towards a regular.

Answers to all these would identify the family member.

post-5914-021202400 1295822405.jpg

I'm sure the all knowing Grumpy has.... Thats a compliment !

My next picture is of a family member with a chap from the Blackwatch.

I have posted this pic before to identify the regiment of the man standing but have other questions.

On the Gloster guy he has an emblem above his stripes on his right arm - any ideas and also the BW chap has an emblem above his WO crown on his left sleeve again any ideas ?.

Also I have noticed that my Gloster man has not got the usual TF shoulder title which makes me swing towards a regular.

Answers to all these would identify the family member.

Sorry Simon, far too indistinct to offer even a guess.

Not to worry the picture blurred when I tried to resize I'll spend some time tomorrow sharpening and enlarging the items individually.

Next is a Wilts chap sitting next to my Great Aunt - not sure if chap is family member or her sweetheart.

post-5914-095967500 1295823439.jpg

1512 Pte. John Bennett 12th Rifle Brigade, can anyone identify the medal ribbons, South African ?.

I think they look like

King's South Africa Medal

Queen's South Africa Medal

I think they look like

I agree - though IMHO I'd suggest he possibly has a Queen's Sudan Medal as well (so QSM, QSA and KSA).

cheers

Steve

Great photos and again interesting to see the cap covers. I wonder what Grumpy will make of the tunics. I suspect he may well have seen them before.

I had heard of them but never seen an example photographed .... shall need to re-examine my RM shots, perhaps I missed them!

I think they look like

I wondered about Sudan but are not the colours the wrong way round, or is it a trick of the ortho film?

I wondered about Sudan but are not the colours the wrong way round, or is it a trick of the ortho film?

The white looks rather large for sudan.

Outsider

Ashanti Star, with it turned to black and white. It does not look far off

I thought it might have been the Sudan medal as well, but orthochromatic film would keep black black, and the yellow would appear quite dark as well, you wouldn't end up with the clearly defined dark/light split visible in the picture.

With the Ashanti Star, simply making a modern picture black and white doesn't have the same result when compared to pictures taken with orthochromatic film - the yellow would be rendered very dark grey.

I had heard of them but never seen an example photographed .... shall need to re-examine my RM shots, perhaps I missed them!

There must have been a huge number of them given that they were standard rig for RM ship's companies and detachments deployed ashore. The small RM EF sent to Antwerp wore them.

I thought it might have been the Sudan medal as well, but orthochromatic film would keep black black, and the yellow would appear quite dark as well, you wouldn't end up with the clearly defined dark/light split visible in the picture.

With the Ashanti Star, simply making a modern picture black and white doesn't have the same result when compared to pictures taken with orthochromatic film - the yellow would be rendered very dark grey.

True. Does his MIC hide any clues? Plus was he wounded in SA? Ance***y have these details now I believe.

Very interested in finding out..

There must have been a huge number of them given that they were standard rig for RM ship's companies and detachments deployed ashore. The small RM EF sent to Antwerp wore them.

I was at some stage going to ask that question as my GGF was a 1914 star and clasp recipient and wondered if the khaki had been introduced by then.

for anyone not privy to the orthochromatic problem and discussion, a brief resume.

Until about 1925 most film used was ortho. It renders one end of the spectrum red end, very dark, and the blue end, very pale.

Thus red comes out as nearly black, orange nearly so, yelloe as very dark grey, green is more-or-less as one would expect to see in modern panchromatic film, and blue/ indigo much paler than one would expect, sometimes startlingly so.

Thus on pre 1925 photos of Foot Guards in the scarlet home service dress, the dark navy cuffs and collars and the scarlet tunic can indistinguishable from each other. A modern pan shot has a big contrat, the tunic appearing much lighter. Thus also a yellow tartan overstripe came out very dark.

"Search" will come up with a lot, some of it inconclusive. Some of us have experimented with Gimp and other photo software to try to recreate ortho effects, with varying success.

The moral is, do not take any Great War and previous photo at face [modern] value.

I was at some stage going to ask that question as my GGF was a 1914 star and clasp recipient and wondered if the khaki had been introduced by then.

You need an RMLI expert, but the retention by the regiment of the Brodrick [nb correct spellering] and the dark blue contravened an agreement in the latter years of the 1800s between the Admiralty and the War Office to standardise as far as possible the uniforms, badges etc of the army and the RM.

Certainly the dark navy was worn by the RMLI on operations in 1914. Equally certainly it was exchanged for SD in the RND in the trenches.

So .... somewhere in between!

As Grumpy said it was not worn after the debacle at Antwerp at which point the blues were exchanged for SD in the 63rd Royal Naval Division in France and Flanders, generally with Army/RM badges of rank on the right arm and RN badges of rate on the left arm. Blues continued to be worn by the RM ship's companies.

1390 Corporal later Sergeant, William George Clive, 15th London, Civil Service Rifles, kia 15.9.1916 age 26. :poppy:

post-20062-034417400 1295975701.jpg

Unnamed Pte. in the 15th Londons, ( C.S.R.), notice the leather football style buttons.

post-20062-049917200 1295976260.jpg