Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

As an aside...post cards are not cheap....

Just been outbid at £20 for a German unteroffizer and this is becoming a common event. £27.00 for a US beat me!!!!!!

Is there a cheaper hobby / interest?

TT

This is a thread I am going to keep referring back to! Excellent idea and wonderful quality images.

Having said that, about a week ago I came across a postcard of a man carrying his wounded comrade on his back. It has "A gallant rescue under fire: this man saved 20 lives like this" on the front. On the other side a soldier had written a letter to a Miss Vera Honey and signed it from her "loving boy Ned". (The person who uploaded it mentioned that he wouldn't have sent home a card like that.)

I did a search using his reg number and have discovered who he was, his family, his fate and that of Miss Vera Honey. When I came back to this thread to share what I'd found, I couldn't find a trace of it. Now I'm begining to think it might be elsewhere on the site? Does it ring a bell for anyone? I'd appreciate it if anyone could help.

Many thanks.

The 2 central coloured bands look a bit narrow but this must be a MM I would say. There is a hint of differentiation suggesting red white and blue colouring, might I suggest? Also perhaps the most likely?

sorry thats a reply to the john gregory query to 16th London medal ribbon

Not the clearest image but a good view of the Lewis gun.

Could anyone offer any more information on Regiment and location please?

Paul

Close up

post-57811-031861800 1295733397.jpg

post-57811-017669600 1295733475.jpg

I think the cap badge is Royal Engineers.

Could anyone add any information on the arm insignia please, it is in the shape of a horseshoe.

Cheers

Paul

post-57811-005986600 1295733776.jpg

Farrier or Shoeing Smith - usually worn on the right arm though.

Not the clearest image but a good view of the Lewis gun.

Could anyone offer any more information on Regiment and location please?

Paul

Close up

Difficult to tell without focussing in on the shoulder titles as the buttons are GS and no badge is visible on the helmets. The man kneeling on right as you look seems the best bet for an ID of titles. Unless a shadow it looks as if they might be in 2 parts which would most likely indicate a light infantry, or fusilier regiment.

I have a few but had trouble resizing the image....

Anyway this is my GGF Harold Evans RMLI

post-5914-062787200 1295741365.jpg

Difficult to tell without focussing in on the shoulder titles as the buttons are GS and no badge is visible on the helmets. The man kneeling on right as you look seems the best bet for an ID of titles. Unless a shadow it looks as if they might be in 2 parts which would most likely indicate a light infantry, or fusilier regiment.

Thanks for the reply.

On close examination the shoulder title does look 2 parts, a small grenade and maybe NF--Northumberland Fusiliers?

Paul

My second one..

knife looks like a early type (sykes) commando??

Knife is the "classic" German trench dagger. Obviously a souvenir from the trenches.

TT

Unknown Royal Fusilier, either 1/1, 1/2, 1/3 or 1/4 London Regiment. One can see T/London shoulder title on epaulette. The cap is the 1917 soft cap with stitched peak.

Nice sharp image.

TT

post-15846-041527100 1295792211.jpg

Knife is the "classic" German trench dagger. Obviously a souvenir from the trenches.

TT

TT

You are correct.

I remember the dagger from when I was younger and my grandfather who was in the Devonshires WW2 told me about it and had it hidden away.

Sadly he passed away suddenly so I never got to ask where it was and my Nan didn't know either.

Here is another card from my album. Nice card but not sure what the unit is, although i am tending towards one of the Scottish Yeomanry units.

post-1012-026737200 1295803405.jpg

Chris

2/6th Glosters I believe before going to France.

My GGF second from left back row.

post-5914-019929700 1295803355.jpg

The cap is the 1917 soft cap with stitched peak.

The trench cap first appeared in 1916, see post nine, near the bottom:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63700&st=0

1512 Pte. John Bennett 12th Rifle Brigade, can anyone identify the medal ribbons, South African ?.

post-20062-036125000 1295804974.jpg

The postcard that you mention sounds like one from a famous series of Daily Mail issued postcards. The actual picture is a still from the famous battle of the Somme film by Geoffrey Malins.

Thanks high wood. Yes, it is the Daily Mail postcard, a copy of which I'm attaching. It would have been one of these that "Ned" used to send home to his Vera Honey.

post-41103-093768200 1295809497.jpg

RMLI 1913 my GGF in front with the spuds !

post-5914-040592000 1295815249.jpg

RMLI 1913 my GGF in front with the spuds !

An especially interesting photo Simon as it shows a tunic that I have not seen before with only a top left hand pocket. The RM who fought at Antwerp in August 1914 were equipped and clad exactly as the man in full rig with rifle and bayonet, even down to the Broderick caps.