Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Hmmm - just had a look at a higher res and there seem to be a bit of variety. This one looks different.

Middlesex Regiment.

post-599-036975800 1295389452.jpg

And mostly like this, even if some do look a little elongated.

Yes - Army Service Corps (ASC).

post-599-026736900 1295389141.jpg

Wow - would never have got the Middlesex one but can see it now, so thanks for that. And for the confirmation that I might be learning something!

Unknown 16th London, Q.W.R. can anyone tell me what the medal ribbon is for?

1911 Coronation or 1911 Delhi Durbar Medal, both having had the same ribbon - the usual fun of orthochromatic film having rendered the dark blue backing light and the two red stripes dark...

The Kings Royal Rifle Corps

I think some or all of these men might be from one of the London 'Rifles' Battalions as the cap badge seems rather long and narrow for the KRRC? Interestingly two men have brass buttons while the rest have black buttons, any thoughts please?

Paul

I am still addicted to this thread. B)

I think some or all of these men might be from one of the London 'Rifles' Battalions as the cap badge seems rather long and narrow for the KRRC? Interestingly two men have brass buttons while the rest have black buttons, any thoughts please?

Paul

I noticed brass buttons on another man in a thread here (also purporting to be KRR) and wondered the same thing. I can only assume that replacement tunics were sometimes issued with GS buttons until the soldier could obtain Rifles buttons from his quartermaster/CQMS.

Durham Light Infantry

Interesting that one man sat in the centre appears to be wearing collar badges, perhaps those of a pioneer. Can you enlarge a view of him?

The Kings Royal Rifle Corps

Could be 6th or 9th battalion London Regiment? Might also explain the GS buttons as they had not yet bought them.

1911 Coronation or 1911 Delhi Durbar Medal, both having had the same ribbon - the usual fun of orthochromatic film having rendered the dark blue backing light and the two red stripes dark...

1911 Coronation

1911Coronation-1.jpg

1911 Delhi Durbar Medal

1911DelhiDurbarMedal.jpg

I noticed brass buttons on another man in a thread here (also purporting to be KRR) and wondered the same thing. I can only assume that replacement tunics were sometimes issued with GS buttons until the soldier could obtain Rifles buttons from his quartermaster/CQMS.

Hi,

Yes that is a very good point, thanks

Paul

Interesting that one man sat in the centre appears to be wearing collar badges, perhaps those of a pioneer. Can you enlarge a view of him?

Yes I did notice that myself.

Will post an enlargement this evening.

Paul

I think he is a LI Sgt, Assistant Instr. Sigs, Pioneer Bn.

A close up could blow this out of the water.

Hi Grumpy,

Thank you for the information, will post a close up later.

Paul

Could be 6th or 9th battalion London Regiment? Might also explain the GS buttons as they had not yet bought them.

Hi squirrel,

Many thanks for the information.

Paul

A few different regiments here.

Armbands.jpg

Can somebody please tell me what regiment the gentleman second from right back row is from ?

Also identify the medal ribbon he is wearing ?

I think I recognise this man (face only). I have a picture of my great uncle who was in the Glosters and have a feeling he was in it.

Cant get to my pics at mo to confirm.

Picture is from post 82.

Regards,

Simon.

Enlarged view as requested

Paul

post-57811-092056000 1295462297.jpg

Enlarged view

Paul

I think he is a LI Sgt, Assistant Instr. Sigs, Pioneer Bn.

A close up could blow this out of the water.

Hi

Enlarged views now posted

Paul

post-57811-038379100 1295462596.jpg

Enlarged view as requested

Paul

Grumpy was spot on, he is the signals sergeant (crossed flags over chevrons on right arm) of a pioneer battalion of the DLI and clutching at least one signal flag (for semaphore) in his right hand. These are the collar badges he is wearing, also worn by the man at right with no cap badge in his SD cap.

post-599-043626100 1295464425.jpg

post-599-064066300 1295550051.jpg

Can somebody please tell me what regiment the gentleman second from right back row is from ?

Also identify the medal ribbon he is wearing ?

I think I recognise this man (face only). I have a picture of my great uncle who was in the Glosters and have a feeling he was in it.

Cant get to my pics at mo to confirm.

Picture is from post 82.

Regards,

Simon.

If you mean second from right as you look AT the photo then he appears to be a Warrant Officer Second Class, Company Sergeant Major in the Kings Own Scottish Borderers. He is clearly a long service man and seems to be wearing the ribbon of the Long Service Medal, which had a maroon ribbon with white edges.

His head dress is the Tam-O-Shanter Scottish bonnet and unlikely to be worn by a member of the Gloucestershire Regiment. Interestingly all of the ORs in the photograph are either Warrant Officers or Staff/Colour Sergeants.

post-599-086860300 1295466344.jpg

Grumpy was spot on, he is the signals sergeant (crossed flags over chevrons on right arm) of a pioneer battalion of the DLI and clutching at least one signal flag (for semaphore) in his right hand. These are the collar badges he is wearing, also worn by the man at right with no cap badge in his SD cap.

Great stuff, thanks for that and the collar badge pic.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Frogsmile,

Many thanks for the reply that clears all my queries and apologies for my english.

His head dress is the Tam-O-Shanter Scottish bonnet and unlikely to be worn by a member of the Gloucestershire Regiment.

What I was trying to say was that I have a photo which my great grandfather (Glosters) was in and there is another chap from a Blackwatch battalion (CSM) in it and I

thought it was the same Blackwatch guy as in post 82. As the regiment doesn't match it clears it up.

Cheers Simon.

Well all, 1,300 replies and 26,000 plus views.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far.

Here are some new ones from me from the other side! First is dated to rear 29/2/1916 with field stamp 6 Bayer Jnf Div. One can see 408 on the strap on one of the Sergeanten. They were not part of 6 B Inf Div? Were they formed in Feb 16?

TT

post-15846-088389000 1295539709.jpg

A Bavarian group. Under a glass one can see the distinct buttons. Taken Aug 1916. The soldier on the right has 13 on his epaulette.

The trench scene has nothing to give any clues. Note the torch on the front seated chap with pipe. Also the rear soldiers are armed with G 98 rifles and equipment.

TT

post-15846-008131900 1295539904.jpg

post-15846-029999300 1295540010.jpg

Hi Frogsmile,

Many thanks for the reply that clears all my queries and apologies for my english.

What I was trying to say was that I have a photo which my great grandfather (Glosters) was in and there is another chap from a Blackwatch battalion (CSM) in it and I

thought it was the same Blackwatch guy as in post 82. As the regiment doesn't match it clears it up.

Cheers Simon.

I can't be definitive as to KOSB Simon, that is just my opinion, but he is almost certainly not Black Watch, as they did not generally wear a cap badge in their ToS, but uniquely wore just a red hackle, which they are inordinately proud of as it is a battle honour from a hard fought 18thC campaign against the French.