Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

The man with the big bass drum.

G.S. badge and his age would probably point to a member of the Volunteer Force post 1916. If there's a photographers mark on the back you can usually pinpoint the unit.

Royal Munster Fusiliers with aspidistra.

Are you sure RMF? The shape of the flame on the badge looks more like RWF, although the angle of view is acute.

Are you sure RMF? The shape of the flame on the badge looks more like RWF, although the angle of view is acute.

Hmmmmmmm! Not sure he is smart enough for RWF.

"I am sure that my tobacconist hasn't supplied my normal Turkish blend as there seems to be something rather odd about the aspidistra"

Hi look back at post #1423 it is the same background, plant etc as the photo of my grandfather and friends.

nearly snap!

Regards

Martin

The third picture from the same studio. 494460 Pte Frank S Rose. 13th Btn London Regt. No photographic studio indicated but probably Alexandria, Egypt or Jaffa, Palestine as both 2/13th & 2/14th Londons were in these locations with the 60th Division.

post-6480-085598600 1296855435.jpg

I am trying to date all of the postcards & photos that I have to link them with my grandfathers diaries, some were sent so dated, some have a description or notes on the back but quite a lot are blank so to get any detail would be great. Seeing the three cards together from the same studio creates another link for me as I try to piece together a picture of my grandfathers war experiences from his diaries.

Thank you

Hmmmmmmm! Not sure he is smart enough for RWF.

Agreed !

I am trying to date all of the postcards & photos that I have to link them with my grandfathers diaries, some were sent so dated, some have a description or notes on the back but quite a lot are blank so to get any detail would be great. Seeing the three cards together from the same studio creates another link for me as I try to piece together a picture of my grandfathers war experiences from his diaries.

Thank you

I have had a look through the diary and the two only dates that he talks about photos being taken are the 9th & 11th July 1917 when they were near a place called Ismala (not sure if correct spelling and have not located on a map yet) which must have been walking distance from the camp they were in.

Martin

Pte Jones of the Welsh Regiment was surprised to learn that he had failed the aptitude test to join the Royal Flying Corps as a rigger.

He was not offered a Cooks job either, the spaghetti was judged a little on the stiff and bulky side.

My God, isn't he immaculate! No wonder there was talk of making the RWF the Welsh Guards. Rejected by THE regiment as out of the question - naturally.

I think that there may have been some concerns from the Brigade of Guards about the correct use of mess room furniture.

post-6480-094373100 1296904227.jpg

Not 100% sure as it is sometimes hard to differentiate between certain badges if they are not straight on to the camera, and if there is no supporting evidence.

What do you make of this one? I will let you know in due course.

Unmistakably RMF, complete with green felt shamrock behind the badge. This tradition was at one point the subject of debate in the houses of parliament and the details can be seen online.

Egyptian draft, Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

That is a HUGE badge the sergeant is wearing. Can you do a close up? I am wondering if it is a misused, late pattern glengarry badge.

I think that there may have been some concerns from the Brigade of Guards about the correct use of mess room furniture.

On the subject of mis-use of Mess furniture, the RAF tradition is/ was for the Station Commander [usually a Group Captain] and no other, to leave his hat, right way up so the scrambled egg showed, on the polished side-table in the Mess foyer, to alert members that the CO was around. Any other big wig, one star and above, used the hat pegs provided. A rather nice custom.

Nothing on the back I am sorry to say. Unlike this one which is from a Norwich photographer. (He is not wearing a G.S. Badge).

Pre-1916, not wearing the G.S. cap badge, wearing what appears to be the classic red armband with black felt letter's "GR" and a Norwich photographers mark would possibly indicate "Norwich Volunteer Training Corps".

Correct; definitely RMF.

Re: huge badge. It looks like The Welsh Regiment to me.

What about the pagri badges most of the others are wearing - they don't look like feathers?

Yes, I think that it is the same; it is the aspidistra stand that clinches it. I will dig the photograph out again and see where it was taken.

No. The stand is the Mk III* [tropicalised, without plant, pale finish, strengthened for leaning, right hand thread, woodworm repellant] and can be seen to this day anywhere East of Malta.

Correct; definitely RMF.

Re: huge badge. It looks like The Welsh Regiment to me.

Yes, Welsh Regiment, much clearer now, thank you.

On the subject of mis-use of Mess furniture, the RAF tradition is/ was for the Station Commander [usually a Group Captain] and no other, to leave his hat, right way up so the scrambled egg showed, on the polished side-table in the Mess foyer, to alert members that the CO was around. Any other big wig, one star and above, used the hat pegs provided. A rather nice custom.

The RAF are too young and too vulgar to have 'traditions', they merely have bad 'habits'.

306213 Pte. James Hodgkinson 2/8th N/Derby kia 26.9.1917 age 33 :poppy: Just make a "P" his right sleeve, R.P. or M.P.

post-20062-042516600 1296932359.jpg

Yes, Welsh Regiment, much clearer now, thank you.

The RAF are too young and too vulgar to have 'traditions', they merely have bad 'habits'.

In the case I quoted, the RAF appear to be following in the footsteps of the Academy Sergeant Major, who adds his pace stick to the hat on the table!

Pte Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Camberwell photographer. London Welsh?

Quite probably, 15th Batt I think. I can't see a bomb/grenade above the title either.