Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

4 hours ago, squirrel said:

Excellent pictures especially the Fusilier Boy Drummer on Minden day.

St George’s Day, he’s a Northumberland Fusiliers boy drummer.

33 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

St George’s Day, he’s a Northumberland Fusiliers boy drummer.

Yes, everything else aside the colours with the motto QUO FATA VOCANT figure very clearly

On 16/03/2023 at 14:52, GWF1967 said:

Royal Field Artillery Group. March 1917.

"Uncle Bertram" 34th Divisional Artillery.  - Photograph by Cox of Ripon.

German Medics jpg (4).jpg

German Medics jpg (5).jpg

Excellent photo, please can I use it volume 4 of my badge series - Corps Troops?

Best,

Dave Bilton

8 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Excellent photo, please can I use it volume 4 of my badge series - Corps Troops?

Best,

Dave Bilton

You are more than welcome to use any of the images I have posted. 

50 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Thanks, will trawl through and copy.

Best,

Dave

If you find anything you’d like a higher resolution copy of, please let me know. 

1 hour ago, poona guard said:

Something I had never thought about when I saw hotos like this - thanks for opening my eyes.

Which image are you talking about with this comment? 

Royal Artillery officers, Felixstowe.  Also includes Royal Engineers, , Royal Army Medical Corps, Royal Marine Medical Unit?, and Suffolk Regiment?

Could anybody offer an identification of the cap badge, back row left of the cropped image  please. RoyalArtillery.Felixstowe_1200.(4).jpg.03392d04e0739e2168ea6b153372745a.jpg 

Royal Artillery. Felixstowe (2).jpg

16 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Artillery officers, Felixstowe.  Also includes Royal Engineers, , Royal Army Medical Corps, Royal Marine Medical Unit?, and Suffolk Regiment?

Could anybody offer an identification of the cap badge, back row left of the cropped image  please. RoyalArtillery.Felixstowe_1200.(4).jpg.03392d04e0739e2168ea6b153372745a.jpg 

Royal Artillery. Felixstowe (2).jpg

A super photo and what appears to be one of the larger Armstrong Hut designs used as an officers’ mess.  These mess buildings commonly had the double door and gable you see behind.

And yes, some of the infantry officers present are from the Suffolk Regiment and wearing officers’ service dress bronze insignia.

4B413AC1-46D2-4644-8A05-EB2CE3F77778.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

The officer back row left of the cropped image is Bedfordshire Regiment.

18B5148D-889A-4135-88DF-5FE744372892.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

The officer back row left of the cropped image is Bedfordshire Regiment.

D3564E9A-B0AC-438C-86F8-3E405EEA7159.jpeg

18B5148D-889A-4135-88DF-5FE744372892.jpeg

Thank you. 

On 09/03/2023 at 21:32, poona guard said:

A photo I have looked at a lot and puzzled about. Is the cap badge the Sussex? I've done a partial colourise and the patch comes up blue.

If you are using an online colourizing program or a standalone programe in Auto mode, it will colour things in whatever way it feels like doing.
If you are using a program in manual mode, you get to decide what the colours should be.

Programs that incorporate AI technology can learn what colour things should be, but can only do so from having had the experience of seeibg previous examples and being taught what colour goes where.

11 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Which image are you talking about with this comment? 

The child soldiers

6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

If you are using an online colourizing program or a standalone programe in Auto mode, it will colour things in whatever way it feels like doing.
If you are using a program in manual mode, you get to decide what the colours should be.

Programs that incorporate AI technology can learn what colour things should be, but can only do so from having had the experience of seeibg previous examples and being taught what colour goes where.

Interesting. Thanks.

8 hours ago, poona guard said:

The child soldiers

Interesting. Thanks.

Ah, the Boy Entrants, if you use the ‘quote’ function it makes it clear what you’re replying to.

The enlistment age was always in line with the statutory school leaving age, so they were not categorised then as ‘children’, but effectively a type of apprentice worker.  That was recognised by the requirement for parents or guardians to sign a certificate of consent, as was also the case for apprenticeships.

Upon declaration of war the “Enlisted Boys” (as they were described in regulations) were sent to their regimental depots until as they came of age for service in the line of battle.  See below for the Boys of both battalion’s Connaught Rangers after arrival at their depot in Galway.

During peacetime Boys were deployed to garrisons overseas both before and after the war.  The last time Boys were in action was the 2nd Boer War.  The rules changed because several died from disease and one, at least, wounded in action. 

753057F5-AD7D-4506-952E-64E3015690AC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

58 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Ah, the Boy Entrants, if you use the ‘quote’ function it makes it clear what you’re replying to.

The enlistment age was always in line with the statutory school leaving age, so they were not categorised then as ‘children’, but effectively a type of apprentice worker.  That was recognised by the requirement for parents or guardians to sign a certificate of permission, as was also the case for apprenticeships.

Upon declaration of war the “Enlisted Boys” (as they were described in regulations) were sent to their regimental depots until as they came of age for service in the line of battle.

During peacetime Boys were deployed to garrisons overseas both before and after the war.  The last time Boys were in action was the 2nd Boer War.  The rules changed because several died from disease and one, at least, wounded in action. 

Again, interesting I knew nothing of this.

7 hours ago, poona guard said:

Again, interesting I knew nothing of this.

You might find this interesting then.  The example below relates to the Militia but the Regular equivalent used similar wording, less the mention of preliminary drills.

BA7447B8-D637-47F3-A12C-ED0CAB6EADBD.jpeg

91E8027D-0A23-43CF-9559-1167403907D0.jpeg

895C08EF-9D1A-467F-9BA9-D02B48240499.jpeg

263F8773-E8F6-43C4-BE95-B451365B2035.jpeg

8F368355-2F0E-4B08-95F0-305960F9D851.jpeg

4CD192FC-AD4B-4A21-9F22-E4FCE1DEF69A.jpeg

24756993-3AA7-4F43-BEC5-8A9CF22F9BA6.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 hours ago, poona guard said:

Thanks. Very interesting.

And Volunteer Battalions and subsequently TF had quotas too.  Note shoulder titles.  The convention in photographs is that the youngest boys were invariably at the very front.

EC8374E1-F3D2-485A-90BE-E2119303220C.jpeg

822B75D8-9EF6-4223-97A7-1BFC5272B865.jpeg

78DAA54C-6F3E-42FB-B065-AD94A729C721.jpeg

C718BFFA-B6C3-42AB-A28B-9933E91EEFEE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

And Volunteer Battalions and subsequently TF had quotas too.  Note shoulder titles.  The convention in photographs is that the youngest boys were invariably at the very front.

EC8374E1-F3D2-485A-90BE-E2119303220C.jpeg

822B75D8-9EF6-4223-97A7-1BFC5272B865.jpeg

78DAA54C-6F3E-42FB-B065-AD94A729C721.jpeg

C718BFFA-B6C3-42AB-A28B-9933E91EEFEE.jpeg

When I get time I will look carefully ay my photos to see if any are youngsters.

17 minutes ago, poona guard said:

When I get time I will look carefully ay my photos to see if any are youngsters.

It’s ironic that when war was declared those who had formally enlisted as Boys were sent to their depot, when at the same time hordes of underage boys made false declarations of age and enlisted as adults.  The youngest ever recorded was 12 and fought at the Somme in 1916.

Edited by FROGSMILE

32 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s ironic that when war was declared those who had formally enlisted as Boys were sent to their depot, when at the same time hordes of underage boys made false declarations of age and enlisted as adults.  The youngest ever recorded was 12 and fought at the Somme in 1916.

Shame upon the recruiters who must have known and on the parents who let them go.

8 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Shame upon the recruiters who must have known and on the parents who let them go.

Yes, it was a time of complex socioeconomic factors underpinned by an embedded system of demarcated social class. 

Edited by FROGSMILE