Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

12 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

They are Junior Division Officer Training Corps, or possibly sponsored army cadet corps depending upon the status of their school.  Their badge appears to be based on a shield and if we know the photographers location it ought to be possible to identify it.

Photoghaph by "Stickells & Son, Cranbrook"

37 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Photoghaph by "Stickells & Son, Cranbrook"

Brilliant, Cranbrook School OTC then, a famous establishment.  See: https://www.oldcranbrookians.com/CadetForce

Still going strong now.  @GWF1967 I see that the old school association doesn’t have a copy of your photo and there’s a distinct gap between 1905 images and 1920.  I imagine the school would love a digital copy of your image.

471B7ECE-468F-4432-A25C-2461DA249C90.jpeg

D868181A-C223-43D2-B4BB-C9B86CFAB974.jpeg

2113BE29-9D01-46F9-A9D3-6A49404FF935.jpeg

09339CEC-7CDD-44AF-8B7D-30DE17F8C6C8.png

450158C2-09E3-4C8B-BFB5-91F4822F341D.png

6131B9E1-0373-43E9-9AC6-0842CD3E93D1.png

B07E446F-6C4F-42B3-AC1D-FCC4ACD0D46B.png

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Brilliant, Cranbrook School OTC then, a famous establishment.  See: https://www.oldcranbrookians.com/CadetForce

Still going strong now.  @GWF1967 I see that the old school association doesn’t have a copy of your photo and there’s a distinct gap between 1905 images and 1920.  I imagine the school would love a digital copy of your image.

Many thanks once again. 

38 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Many thanks once again. 

I’m glad to help, I wonder if those two boys ended up on the school’s Roll of Honour / Sacrifice.

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 minutes ago, poona guard said:

Great photo and definitely a family group. Dad has cloth titles suggesting with the cap badge a a volunteer unit.

Could be Labour Corps too unless the size of the cloth title dictates otherwise.

3FE28B95-D448-4117-AF85-FBB1F2628765.jpeg

A1412113-F17E-482B-9974-3C406FF77DC4.jpeg

A few randoms from my collection I just found.

A wounded Light Infantryman wearing unusual warm clothing. Is this official or something privately purchased?

image.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

A few randoms from my collection I just found.

A wounded Light Infantryman wearing unusual warm clothing. Is this official or something privately purchased?

image.jpeg

He’s wearing “hospital blue” Raster.  They were blue woollen flannel uniforms first issued during the Crimean War and not much changed subsequently other than in the length of the upper garment.  They were issued in a limited range of sizes and had a white cotton lining that showed at the lapel and where shorter soldiers turned up their arms and legs.  They were generally accompanied with a white shirt and bright red tie.  He’s also wearing issued leather hospital slippers.

1A145E36-E119-49E3-A4ED-87093DACB9B1.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

An older gentleman wearing the uniform of a home service establishment of some sort. I would appreciate an understanding of the uniform and the medal ribbon if possible.

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

He’s wearing “hospital blue” Raster.  They were blue woollen flannel uniforms first issued during the Crimean War and not much changed subsequently other than in the length of the upper garment.

Thanks very much. I was aware of the Hospital Blue and in fact have a few of the matching red ties in my collection I just thought this looked a bit 'fatter, like it was padded. On closer look I guess he is just wearing thick clothes underneath. Thanks again

2 hours ago, Raster Scanning said:

An older gentleman wearing the uniform of a home service establishment of some sort. I would appreciate an understanding of the uniform and the medal ribbon if possible.

image.jpeg

This time it’s an officer (probably a doctor) of the British Red Cross society, I believe.  Note the cuff rings rank marking worn with khaki service dress.

“In 1909 the British Red Cross Society became involved in the VAD scheme. It was decided that volunteers should wear an official uniform to reflect this role. In 1911 a uniform sub-committee recommended the adoption of a standard uniform ‘having regard to economy, utility and the practical duties the Red Cross detachment would be required to perform on mobilisation’.”

“The men’s uniform consisted of a blue tunic, breeches, wrap around leggings called ‘putties’ and a peaked cap. A greatcoat with the Red Cross emblem sewn on the breast was worn outdoors. At the outbreak of the First World War this uniform was issued to Red Cross volunteers in standard British army drab khaki.”

D248BFAF-DA45-4A61-BDAB-14C87E9D3778.jpeg

ACD07D57-916F-40FC-9DB3-971D2A7FA3D3.jpeg

D0EB1D94-8329-4273-8CEF-F224698B65CE.jpeg

FDC1C43D-D022-4483-9EE2-C00A22411A08.jpeg

C0AD311E-F86C-4BA9-A025-D6AECD5DB594.jpeg

21FBBA3A-7A16-46A8-BBE1-298E4C9D3529.jpeg

165CB49B-F196-40AB-BE0E-9C35DF3AB9DC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Three cards of The Hampshire Regiment in India I guess. 

hants1.JPG

image.jpeg

hants3.JPG

1 hour ago, Raster Scanning said:

Thanks very much. I was aware of the Hospital Blue and in fact have a few of the matching red ties in my collection I just thought this looked a bit 'fatter, like it was padded. On closer look I guess he is just wearing thick clothes underneath. Thanks again

Yes I was going to add that he appears to have layered clothing beneath (probably a woollen cardigan).  Notice the similarly bulky appearance of these convalescents below.

Nurses encouraged outdoor activity but fussed to make sure men were warmly dressed and did not “catch a chill” which was widely considered back then.  The emphasis was much more upon personal care in the absence of antibiotics and penicillin.  Reliance was placed on human antibodies and rest.

58B0BB59-2CCF-4610-8172-7ACFFBA62F8D.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

This time it’s an officers of the British Red Cross society I believe.

Thanks I guessed there was a medical connection.

13 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

Three cards of The Hampshire Regiment in India I guess. 

hants1.JPG

image.jpeg

hants3.JPG

Cracking photos, the Wolseley helmet flashes suggest the 5th Battalion Hampshire Regiment (Territorial Force).

From the ‘wartime memories project’:

“5th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment was a unit of the Territorial Force, serving with the Hampshire Infantry Brigade, Wessex Division. They had their HQ at Carlton Place, Southampton and was made up of Companies A to H. They were part of the Hampshire Brigade, Wessex Division. Just before war broke out in August 1914 the units of the Division gathered on Salisbury Plain for their annual summer camp and ordered arrived for precautionary measures to be taken. On the 3rd of August they broke camp and moved to take up defensive positions at the ports. The division was mobilised for full time war service on the 5th of August and by the 10th had returned to Salisbury Plain to prepare for service overseas. The Wessex Division was ordered to India to replace British and Indian regular army units who were to be deployed to the Western Front. They sailed from Southampton on the 19th of October, via Malta and Suez, arriving at Karachi on the 11th of November. They remained in India throughout the war. In May 1919 they joined 46th Mobile Indian Brigade at Kohat and saw action in Third Afghan War for a brief period. They returned to England arriving at Southampton on the 8th of November 1919.”

308035C3-92B6-4BFF-9BF8-21197CA93824.jpeg

B0B1B43F-B737-4634-9E80-372339149982.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

I believe this is Gallipoli and the caption states "Building a hospital" At least one man appears to be RAMC.

gp.JPG

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Cracking photos, the Wolseley helmet flashes suggest the 5th Battalion Hampshire Regiment (Territorial Force).

In the last one I love the carelessly discarded helmets to the right of the group. One on the ground another in the bushes.

Just now, Raster Scanning said:

In the last one I love the carelessly discarded helmets to the right of the group. One on the ground another in the bushes.

Territorials, God bless ‘em…:rolleyes:

Two ASC Territorial Bandsmen, sadly I cannot make out the curved part of the shoulder title. I suspect this is a pre war annual camp.

image.jpeg

An informal group of Bedfordshire Yeomanry men at camp along with assorted tack.

image.jpeg

1 hour ago, Raster Scanning said:

Two ASC Territorial Bandsmen, sadly I cannot make out the curved part of the shoulder title. I suspect this is a pre war annual camp.

image.jpeg

Looks like T-ASC-CORNWALL to me, but my phone screen is limiting.  Note the Boy Entrant peeking from behind the bandmaster just beyond the tent, and the band sergeant is seated on the left.  Two SNCOs were allocated to share a tent whereas a ‘warrant officer’ (regular and special reserve only then) had a tent to themselves. @CorporalPunishmentmight well be able to see better the title better.  I agree it’s almost certainly a prewar annual summer camp.

Edited by FROGSMILE

10 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

An informal group of Bedfordshire Yeomanry men at camp along with assorted tack.

image.jpeg

An evocative photo, again taken at camp.  Notice the leather gaiters issued instead of puttees and another Boy Entrant seated far right.

15D314C9-0FD6-427F-9B6C-2220CB6DEF3C.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

An evocative photo, again taken at camp.  Notice the leather gaiters issued instead of puttees and another Boy Entrant seated far right.

Some unusual (at least to me) footwear in the second row from front?

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

15D314C9-0FD6-427F-9B6C-2220CB6DEF3C.jpeg

Good to see some 'in the flesh' 

4 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

Some unusual (at least to me) footwear in the second row from front?

Being carried piggyback on the right, I assume.  He appears to be wearing long stockings tucked over his breeches and leather soled slip on, full foot slippers of some kind.  Not an issue pattern I think.

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Being carried piggyback on the right, I assume.  He appears to be wearing long stockings tucked over his breeches and leather soled slip on, full foot slippers of some kind.  Not an issue pattern I think.

Yes that's the one