Postcards

trenchtrotter

101 Coy RGA Attock British India, now Pakistan

image.jpeg

Edited by Raster Scanning

2 hours ago, Raster Scanning said:

101 Coy RGA Attack British India, now Pakistan

image.jpeg

Great photo.  They’ve untilised the backstop of a 25-yard range so that the various rows of men can be banked up.  You can see the ricochet curtain wall behind and on each flank.  Such ranges were commonly used in barracks for check zeroing and elementary firing drill.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Very muddy RAMC Camp Post Office taken by a Middlesborough photographer. 

image.jpeg

On 27/03/2023 at 23:13, FROGSMILE said:

I wonder if he was wounded, as a soldier below the rank of sergeant he wouldn’t otherwise get away with carrying that long stick, either in barracks, or in sight of military policemen.

Here’s another. Gnr. Thomas Colley, 69485. 128th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. He obtained a few days leave to marry his sweetheart, Annie, May 1916. 
( From. Great War Fashion. Tales From The History Wardrobe. - Lucy Adlington)

63D49323-AF3A-4590-85F7-A20C1AB0D6A4.jpeg

7 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Here’s another. Gnr. Thomas Colley, 69485. 128th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. He obtained a few days leave to marry his sweetheart, Annie, May 1916. 
( From. Great War Fashion. Tales From The History Wardrobe. - Lucy Adlington)

63D49323-AF3A-4590-85F7-A20C1AB0D6A4.jpeg

Yes and with leather [?] gloves too by the look of it.  Along with highly polished buttons on his mounted duty pattern greatcoat his given himself a quasi officer appearance to swank a bit with his sweetheart.  The uppermost buttons have even been stitched on out of alignment just so they can fasten back the lapels and form a feature at the top.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Men of the 1/4th Territorial Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment. Marching along Dunstable Road Luton, at the junction with Ivy Street. From a card dated 10th October 1914. The Officer on the white horse is identified as Major Martin who by 1917 was a Lt Col and the CO of the Battalion. The card was sent by 617 Pte Charles W Calcraft to a Miss James of Nottingham. Calcraft later transferred to the Royal Engineers and survived the war.

image.jpeg

Great photo, it looks like a warm day.  Here's a screen shot from Google Earth, this looks like the same location.  Although now known as Ivy Road.

Mike

SAM_3097.JPG

48 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

Men of the 1/4th Territorial Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment. Marching along Dunstable Road Luton, at the junction with Ivy Street. From a card dated 10th October 1914. The Officer on the white horse is identified as Major Martin who by 1917 was a Lt Col and the CO of the Battalion. The card was sent by 617 Pte Charles W Calcraft to a Miss James of Nottingham. Calcraft later transferred to the Royal Engineers and survived the war.

image.jpeg

A very young looking battalion and it’s interesting that they’re marching In shirtsleeves order with a variety of issue shirts. 

16 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

A very young looking battalion and it’s interesting that they’re marching In shirtsleeves order with a variety of issue shirts. 

Given the height and location I always wondered if this was taken from the top of a tram.

19 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

Given the height and location I always wondered if this was taken from the top of a tram.

Yes, I think you’re almost certainly correct when one considers the angle of the frame.  That’s a good spot.

1st bn welsh guards, early post war? with a few interesting things to see, in particular the use of both cloth shoulder titles as well as metal titles on the shoulder straps

welsh guards group with cloth and metal st's wm crop 2.jpg

welsh guards group with cloth and metal st's wm crop.jpg

welsh guards group with cloth and metal st's wm.jpg

2 hours ago, Raster Scanning said:

image.jpeg

They are heading towards Beech Hill so it was just as well they were in shirt sleeve order.      Pete.

1 hour ago, MikeyH said:

Great photo, it looks like a warm day.  Here's a screen shot from Google Earth, this looks like the same location.  Although now known as Ivy Road.

Mike

SAM_3097.JPG

Mike, it has always been Ivy Road. A very grim and unsavoury area these days.      Pete.

On 29/03/2023 at 17:12, Jerry B said:

1st bn welsh guards, early post war? with a few interesting things to see, in particular the use of both cloth shoulder titles as well as metal titles on the shoulder straps

welsh guards group with cloth and metal st's wm crop 2.jpg

welsh guards group with cloth and metal st's wm crop.jpg

welsh guards group with cloth and metal st's wm.jpg

That’s a super photo Jerry, thank you for posting it.  There’s a Guardsman front right with a wound stripe, but no one has any medal ribbons and yet some men look quite mature.  They’re still all wearing the 1905 pattern SD forage cap too.  It’s interesting to see both types of shoulder title, not something I think I’ve seen before.  Several men have the 1st Battlalion cloth patch on their upper arm.  Overall then I’d reckon the date to be 1917-18 and the photo probably taken at the Guards Depot with men from a reserve company.  There’d surely be at least a few medal ribbons if into 1919.

Edited by FROGSMILE

RoyalArtillery.Alf(3).jpg.594e64a7362b6c395ccce8d2d7375484.jpgRoyalArtillery.Alf(2).jpg.a23e9c3fa082928014a4ac71d5924714.jpgRoyalArtillery.Alf(5).jpg.c44d6105dc018e96670f5de150f0abd9.jpgRoyalArtillery.Alf(4).jpg.a1d9dd288d69dff71975271583e15554.jpg "Dad" / "Alf" - Royal Field Artillery.  The group shot is identified as being taken at summer camp, Pembrey, South Wales, July 914.   Portmadog photographer.

The shoulder title appears to be T-R.F.A. London. 

9 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

RoyalArtillery.Alf(3).jpg.594e64a7362b6c395ccce8d2d7375484.jpgRoyalArtillery.Alf(2).jpg.a23e9c3fa082928014a4ac71d5924714.jpgRoyalArtillery.Alf(5).jpg.c44d6105dc018e96670f5de150f0abd9.jpgRoyalArtillery.Alf(4).jpg.a1d9dd288d69dff71975271583e15554.jpg "Dad" / "Alf" - Royal Field Artillery.  The group shot is identified as being taken at summer camp, Pembrey, South Wales, July 914.   Portmadog photographer.

The shoulder title appears to be T-R.F.A. London. 

Fantastically evocative group photo.  Lots of quite young lads in the frame.  Two appear to have been on fatigues of some kind.  They’re wearing the trousers of the canvas working suit with white shirts and vest/waistcoat.  Notice the leather belt holding up the very high waists that fitted to just below the rib-cage.

Damm theres a lot of young ones there .Its worrrying to think in a very short while they would have been in France and fighting

• Admin
On 29/03/2023 at 14:58, Raster Scanning said:

image.jpeg

That is a fantastic picture Raster Scanning, thanks for sharing it. Major Martin was a very competent Officer who was well respected by his men.  He stayed with them during the attack on the Hohenzolleren Redoubt 13th Oct 1915, despite being hit in the knee. I will endeavor to find pictures of the other Officers to see if they are on this one too. While I do not doubt your saying that this is the 1/4th Leicesters, Major Martin was with the 1/5th Leicesters at the time the photo was taken. I will get back to you with my findings.  Regards, Bob. Link to the '1/5th Leicestershire Regiment' by Captain Hills  https://archive.org/details/leicestershire00hilluoft/mode/2up

7 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

That is a fantastic picture Raster Scanning, thanks for sharing it. Major Martin was a very competent Officer who was well respected by his men.  He stayed with them during the attack on the Hohenzolleren Redoubt 13th Oct 1915, despite being hit in the knee. I will endeavor to find pictures of the other Officers to see if they are on this one too. While I do not doubt your saying that this is the 1/4th Leicesters, Major Martin was with the 1/5th Leicesters at the time the photo was taken. I will get back to you with my findings.  Regards, Bob. Link to the '1/5th Leicestershire Regiment' by Captain Hills  https://archive.org/details/leicestershire00hilluoft/mode/2up

Hi Bob. I am not quite sure how I attributed this to the 1/4th. Given the amount of detail I think it may have been recorded as 1/4th by Calcraft on the back. I am not in UK at moment so cannot check the original. Interesting additional detail regarding Martin. Any other information you may find will be of interest. Many thanks.

Some nice posed shots of 1914 patt equipment. The second man appears to be 19th Hussars?

14 eqip.JPG

14 equip 2.JPG

lear.JPG

The caption says it all 

gg.JPG

MGC in the Middle East. No further information

mgc.JPG

Interesting group, that I have no idea about. There appears to be an instructor from the School of Musketry in the front

crack.JPG

Interesting group of Sgts with horses behind. Also hanging in the background someone's 1914 Patt equipment, the snake buckle just visible. The men have a mixture of patches. One man the Patt 08 web equipment the rest Patt 14.

nn.JPG

Interesting that the Guardsmen in 1917 have long Lee Enfields. Was this because they were tall ?

1 minute ago, 6RRF said:

Interesting that the Guardsmen in 1917 have long Lee Enfields. Was this because they were tall ?

I always assumed they were under training and so were not issued the SMLE yet?