Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

I have enjoyed this thread. The postcards are great, and everyone's comments are very informative.

One thing that has really stood out is that so many of the young men were just boys. Many of them looked like they were 12, 13, or 14 years old..... not even old enough to shave.

It is so sad that so many were lost - almost an entire generation of young men.

I am an American trying to do a bit of research on a Great Uncle who left the southern US to enlist in the UK and served in the 8th Bn Welsh Regiment. Before finding this forum I knew very little about WWI. I have learned more than a few things here and I'm still exploring all of the threads.

Thank you for all of the information on this site!

Marla in Houston TX

I have enjoyed this thread. The postcards are great, and everyone's comments are very informative.

One thing that has really stood out is that so many of the young men were just boys. Many of them looked like they were 12, 13, or 14 years old..... not even old enough to shave.

It is so sad that so many were lost - almost an entire generation of young men.

I am an American trying to do a bit of research on a Great Uncle who left the southern US to enlist in the UK and served in the 8th Bn Welsh Regiment. Before finding this forum I knew very little about WWI. I have learned more than a few things here and I'm still exploring all of the threads.

Thank you for all of the information on this site!

Marla in Houston TX

Hi Maria - welcome to the Forum and do hope you uncover more about your Great Uncle and his part in the Great War. You'll actually be surpirised at the large number of Americans who did come to the UK or to Canada to enlist with the Empire forces, long before the U.S. entered and at great risk of having their U.S. citizenship revoked. In my library I have three books written by Americans who served with British units, which are well worth a read.

Robert Parry Morris 1/1st Welsh (Caernarfonshire) Heavy Battery RGA. The Somme 1916.

post-87057-0-51201100-1374232999_thumb.j

Rather sad postcard.

post-100478-0-46569100-1374504858_thumb.

Sad and odd - given the youthful appearance of both women (and the backdrop of the cemetery) are we to assume they're about to lay these memorials on behalf of other's or have they just been removed for preservation.

Any indications on reverse ?

Fascinating image.

Tim

I would think that as the wreaths appear to have message cards on them, that they are 'fresh' and about to be laid on a grave or memorial.

khaki

Thanks Khaki

He was killed 27/10/17 at Ypres exactly a year after this picture. Yet to be awarded the MC and be promoted to Captain.

The card of the 2 women is particularly striking. It's more of a photo journalistic image, with the women posing to record a sad event. Proof that they made the pilgrimage.

Will

This is a great thread, never seen so many pictures of soldiers from this period. I would like to add one of my wife's great Uncle, Alec Kelly. Alec, 3546 9th Battn. R W Reg served in Gallipoli, seriously wounded, then served in 1st Battn. R W R with 4th Division was killed 9/5/1817 at the 3rd Battle of the Scarfe. Buried Level Crossing Cemetery, Fampoux. Remembered always.

post-99960-0-86181700-1374679731_thumb.j

I may be wrong and viewing image on my I phone at work at 0435 but that last image appears to be a Royal Warwickshire cap badge???

Regards

TT

I may be wrong and viewing image on my I phone at work at 0435 but that last image appears to be a Royal Warwickshire cap badge???

Regards

TT

Hello TT yes it is Royal Warwickshires. Mike

Here are the few that I have. First up, unknown, one of the Artillery Regiments, Romsey Hampshire.

Unknown, looks to be early (pre-1916) Hampshire Regiment, Romsey, Hampshire.

post-98976-0-01068300-1374750175_thumb.j

post-98976-0-44448000-1374750262_thumb.j

The placard held up centre of the picture says "We are the B'hoys" and the dog looks like some kind of bull terrier.

Sad and odd - given the youthful appearance of both women (and the backdrop of the cemetery) are we to assume they're about to lay these memorials on behalf of other's or have they just been removed for preservation.

Any indications on reverse ?

Fascinating image.

Tim

Agree - Possibly W.A.A.C. or F.A.N.Y. - definately a womens service branch serving overseas and assisting the I.W.G.C., as it was then, with floral tributes etc

Pals

New to me this week

Lcpl Cheshires

LcplCheshires_zps393fc0f7.jpg

Sgt Cheshires

SGTCheshires_zps90f182c7.jpg

Sgt East Lancashire

SGTELancs_zps9a16371a.jpg

Sgt RWF with Medal Ribbons reads "yours sincerely Rob"

RWFSGTMeds_zps3bba3de1.jpgHi all having magnified the shoulder title of the first chap with the Cheshire's cap badge I believe the shoulder title reads CYCLIST the spacing and text don't look like Cheshire. Did the Cheshires have a cyclist unit?

An un-named mounted soldier on horseback. Cavalry? Haven't a clue about this one. Written on the back of the card is the name "Brenda", maybe the horses name? Noticed that "Brenda" has a cresent shaped scar on her left thigh. Did they brand horses?

mounted2.jpg

Re: Frederick Carney's water bottle, there was another younger child in the photo, a toddler, maybe he lent his bottle to her to keep her quiet while photographer prepared the shot (?)

Caryl

Great picture of a mounted soldier. I don't recognise the cap badge but the saddle looks quite early or Yeomanry. The hanger for the sword is not the usual horseshoe case type so once again I'm tempted to say Yeomanry

Great picture of a mounted soldier. I don't recognise the cap badge but the saddle looks quite early or Yeomanry. The hanger for the sword is not the usual horseshoe case type so once again I'm tempted to say Yeomanry

Thanks for that

City of London Yeomanry or king Edwards Horse perhaps?

Justin H

Either a postcard or a cigarette card?

post-100478-0-44590600-1374959199_thumb.

Edited by Ghazala

Not sure about this one ,could it be Irish Guards?

Not Irish Guards I think - they have always worn their Caubeens with the badge on the right and pulled down on the left.

The placard held up centre of the picture says "We are the B'hoys" and the dog looks like some kind of bull terrier.

"The B'hoys" look to me like Army Service Corps.