Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Tim,

The only unit ID clues we have from the photo are the circular badge and solid glengarries. Unfortunately, I am not at home right now and an without access to my reference books. An on-the-fly answer is an educated guess that these men are either 2nd (Angus) VB Black Watch or possible 3rd (City of Dundee) VB Black Watch. A militia Bn is also a possibility.

I can give you a better answer after January 14. In the meantime, perhaps you might wish to scan the plates in Grierson's records of the Scottish Volunteer Force. While Grierson is good on uniforms, his depictions of badges are not always accurate.

Mike

Much obliged Mike - will look at Grierson's link with great interest.

Tim

Some fine plates in Grierson's (wonderful thing the Internet Archive) but cap badges don't seem to be of particular significance to him. Having had a decent browse I'm convinced your suggestion of 2nd or 3rd VB BW is correct. Really can't tell which though.

Again - many thanks

Edited by Suddery

Not forgetting that the photo in #post 2816 is actually post-1914, hence the wearing of the plain greatcoat 'T' above 'RH', with no numerals, a common feature among Territorial Reserve Bn's.

Not forgetting that the photo in #post 2816 is actually post-1914, hence the wearing of the plain greatcoat 'T' above 'RH', with no numerals, a common feature among Territorial Reserve Bn's.

You can also see the plain T above RH in post #513 in http://blackwatchforums.co.uk/showthread.php?11694-Black-Watch-pictures-from-my-collection./page52 for the 6th BW. Some of the men in this photo wear no shoulder titles at all.

Much obliged Mike - will look at Grierson's link with great interest.

Tim

Some fine plates in Grierson's (wonderful thing the Internet Archive) but cap badges don't seem to be of particular significance to him. Having had a decent browse I'm convinced your suggestion of 2nd or 3rd VB BW is correct. Really can't tell which though.

Again - many thanks

I will have another look at this question when I return home on Jan 14, Tim.

I will have another look at this question when I return home on Jan 14, Tim.

That would be grand.

Tim

Increased trade for Skindles ? - wrecked house adjacent to an estaminet; Poperinghe 1915.

Reverse states "This is what the Germans are doing in France (sic)".

Gendarmes' face may have been distorted by censor.

post-53823-0-62408000-1357851452_thumb.j

I'm in full agreement with your comments about the Lovats. Your comments about the 2nd (Angus) V Bn Black Watch rang a bell with me as I've never found a satisfactory home for this postcard of a group of cooks. I discounted Lovats for the same reasons as you suggest above, likewise discounted 5th Seaforths because of lack of buckle to strap and it looks too early to be the 1914 pattern Tyneside Scots.

Be very interested in your observations.

Tim

Tim,

After now having access to my references, the circular badge with plain strap and without garter seen in the images in posts #2816 and #2828 is that worn by the 7th (Fife) Battalion Black Watch (TF). This is a legacy badge from the 6th (Fifeshire) VB Black Watch 1887-1908. Image is posted below that was scanned from Badges of the Highland & Lowland Regiments by Wm and Kathleen Bloomer ("Bloomer 2"). I am fortunate to have a copy of this reference that was hand annotated by Stan Paget who lives in Carnoustie, Angus and whose knowledge of Black Watch and Scottish badges is unexceeded by anyone. Stan confirms in one of his notes that this badge was indeed continued to be worn by the 7th BW through the Great War.

Mike

9d42753fcd98.jpg

Mike,

Many thanks for a fine piece of research on my behalf, I'd never have traced this by myself. Your contribution to matters of Scottish uniform seems to be becoming rather formidable.

Best regards

Tim

Hello,

I think that I have seen a large group photo of Black Watch men in the TA centre in Perth. From memory I think that it shows both the badge in question, and the standard Black Watch badge in wear. I also think that there are a few clues that the photo is from WW1. It has been a while since I was last at the TA centre in Perth but I will ask around.

Cheers,

Owain.

Hello,

I think that I have seen a large group photo of Black Watch men in the TA centre in Perth. From memory I think that it shows both the badge in question, and the standard Black Watch badge in wear. I also think that there are a few clues that the photo is from WW1. It has been a while since I was last at the TA centre in Perth but I will ask around.

Cheers,

Owain.

Look forward to learning of your findings.

Just thougth I would post this of the Women of Horsehay, Dawley, Shropshire doing their bit, working at the Horsehay factory doing war work. The original caption said Munitions but exactly what I am not sure.

post-51798-0-66805200-1358610766_thumb.j

post-51798-0-08114500-1358611453_thumb.j

The writing on the back says Reg Hollyoake is standing behind me, The one sitting next to me is Adlington (From Dawley) and the Lance Corporal is Roberts (Shifnal). You can work out who's who except for the person who sent it. Regiment is unknown .... But there was an Adlington From Dawley, Shropshire KIA with the MGC but he also had a brother so maybe KSLI there is an Imperial service badge on show so poss 1/4th KSLI?

Dave

I think this is Oxford and Bucks

From a distance, back 2nd Right looks like Royal Warwickshire - both 1st and 3rd were in India. Any chance of a close up ?

Tim

• 1 month later...

19214 Pte. Bernard Bailey 10th Battn. Notts & Derby kia 31.10.1916 age 22.

post-20062-0-04371200-1363364805_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

Pals

New to me this week

Lcpl Cheshires

LcplCheshires_zps393fc0f7.jpg

Sgt Cheshires

SGTCheshires_zps90f182c7.jpg

Sgt East Lancashire

SGTELancs_zps9a16371a.jpg

Sgt RWF with Medal Ribbons reads "yours sincerely Rob"

RWFSGTMeds_zps3bba3de1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Royal Munster Fusiliers circa 1918 with Shamrock backing to cap badge and similar on the sleeves.

post-11424-0-81452100-1366234537_thumb.j

post-11424-0-69322800-1366234555_thumb.j

Private 2nd Bn Lincolnshire Regt. Red Roman ten on dark blue square with slip on shoulder strap sewn to upper sleeve.

Mark

post-11424-0-38315300-1366234730_thumb.j