Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Cheers Graham unfortunatly no more photos from the Victorian period, a couple WW1 period which I need to put on sometime. The mother in laws house was sold a few weeks ago and nothing else turned up although I once saw a christmas card to the Machine Gun Corps but I think that was given to the wifes brother, i'll have to ask him if he did get it. Another story is from my nanna is that she had an uncle who was killed with the ANZAC's his photo was hung up in their house for years then her mother threw it in the bin, gone forever..

Frogsmile, facinating stuff about the collars I have a few bits and pieces of Border Regiment stuff myself but no collors like those

All the best

Dazz

here is a good question: did the collar badge have the scarlet backing ? [as well as the cap badge].

Where the badge is fretted/voided it did have a red backing, probably for SNCOs and officers. I have often speculated as to whether the original design stemmed from association with Royal Marines during the Wars in China when the 55th (later 2nd Borders) earned their Dragon honour. It seems likely.

Here are the two glengarry badges of the forming regiments and one can clearly see how the laurels came from the 34th and the dragon from the 55th, with the latter quite probably having a red backing to its number.

post-599-0-40898800-1352312428_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-69338800-1352312436_thumb.jpg

Thank you very much.

This image shows the badge worn in the glengarry of the VB soldiers above, although it possibly had a blank centre, as VB and Militia were not at that time permitted to display the principal honours of their regular brethren. It was renowned as an attractive badge and you can see clearly how it was the pattern for the later collar badge.

post-599-0-67377600-1352372977_thumb.jpg

A recent pick up, with clear ASC cloth title. I tried to post this image but I got this message, You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments can anyone tell me why?

Regards,

Jerry

Have you compressed the photo's I use Microsoft Picture Manager to compress the photos down to the size for web pages.

All the best

Dazz

It says it before I try to upload, so maybe something about being a new member and number of posts? I'll try and find out in the appropriate section rather than continue to post in this thread.

Thanks for the help though.

Jerry

I am not sure of the correct collective noun so I will go with a thatch of Suffolks. Kitchener's men?

Yes I would say so and the chap at left 'looks' at the upper age limit for that early part of the war. Simplified tunics and 1914 equipment belts both bespeak Kitchener's New Armies.

• 4 weeks later...

Another photograph plucked from the dustbin of history. The Hon Lieut Francis W Bampfylde, 3rd, attached 1st battalion, Devonshire Regiment.

Interesting to see the rather spade shaped peak to his SD cap, and are they dark bronze, or leather 'football' type buttons he is wearing?

A nice group of cavalry/yeomen. Two badges on show, maybe a forum pal could identify them. I though the one on the left might be ASC

Will see if I can enlarge

post-87631-0-12082600-1355347031_thumb.j

Justin H

post-87631-0-96697800-1355347432_thumb.j

Heres one

Justin H

post-87631-0-99255600-1355347578_thumb.j

Doesnt look like ASC now its enlarged. Any Ideas?

Justin H

Hi,

Bottom one is 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards.

Not sure about the top could be 19th Hussars the Dannebrog with the A of Queen Alexandra, however itr looks to much like to XX but too small to be 20th Hussars Crown over XHX.

regards

John

Thanks John. I should have known that was 4th royal Irish dragon guards as I have the regimental history! Good shout re 19th Hussars

Justin H

Guest christophermalkin

12321 Pte.William Bourne 10th Notts & Derby kia 7th August 1916 at Delville Wood age 21.

This was my great uncle William,my grandmothers brother,Evelyn Bourne,born in Wichbold,Worcestershire.Has anyone anymore information on him.Regards,Chris Malkin.

Hi,

Bottom one is 4th Royal Irish Dragoon Guards.

Not sure about the top could be 19th Hussars the Dannebrog with the A of Queen Alexandra, however itr looks to much like to XX but too small to be 20th Hussars Crown over XHX.

regards

John

Hi John, I agree with you that it is 4th RIDG and think that the really small badge worn by the other soldiers might be the 13th Hussars, who wore a tiny badge in forage caps, but a different badge in other head dress. Failing that it could be the 19th Hussars Dannebrog as you say, but I don't think it looks right for the 20th Hussars.

Another photograph plucked from the dustbin of history. The Hon Lieut Francis W Bampfylde, 3rd, attached 1st battalion, Devonshire Regiment.

Great picture, the sharpness of the image is really good. I have a few to post at some stage.

post-53823-0-65745400-1356023541_thumb.j

Fusilier but which Regiment ?

No clues on postcard

Tim

More detail.

Collar

post-53823-0-73047200-1356023606_thumb.j

post-53823-0-58608700-1356023657_thumb.j

post-53823-0-65745400-1356023541_thumb.j

Fusilier but which Regiment ?

No clues on postcard

Tim

More detail.

Collar

Sorry mate - but he ain't no Fusilier Regiment that I know off and the uniform looks odd too - especially those shoulder cords

Thanks both.

I had initially thought of Lothian and Borders Horse because of the sheaf like central image but the scroll and collar badge threw me. Certainly did not think of Lothian and Berwickshire but on checking my K&K P.B is indeed correct. Collar badge must be an elaboration of the sheaf (correctly a 'garb' in heraldic form - thus spake K and K) and not a grenade as I'd thought.

Wonderful thing the Forum and a rare gap plugged in my collection.

Tim

Looks like regimental buttons on the unknown Staffs sgt. Also unusual to see bayonet! I wonder if he was regimental police?

TT

Wearing a bayonet (known as 'side arm' in this context) and carrying a cane/stick was the marker of a Sergeant on duty, usually 'Orderly Sergeant'.

Thanks both.

I had initially thought of Lothian and Borders Horse because of the sheaf like central image but the scroll and collar badge threw me. Certainly did not think of Lothian and Berwickshire but on checking my K&K P.B is indeed correct. Collar badge must be an elaboration of the sheaf (correctly a 'garb' in heraldic form - thus spake K and K) and not a grenade as I'd thought.

Wonderful thing the Forum and a rare gap plugged in my collection.

Tim

For future reference the shoulder cords were a huge clue, as mentioned by Graham.