Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

For future reference the shoulder cords were a huge clue, as mentioned by Graham.

It was the seeming contradiction between cap and collar badge that got me on this one....

and must admit the collar still looks like a grenade .

I remain an apprentice with Yeomanry and uniforms and the education received on this site is second to none

P.B still gets my doffed cap on this.

Tim

I thought the clue was in the shape of the cap badge.

P.B.

The shoulder cords tell you straight away it is not an infantry unit, which not only excludes the 'fusiliers', but many others and so points you into a narrower field in which you can then focus on the 'shape' of the cap and collar badges.

ASC postcard, I cropped it to make it smaller without losing detail.

post-91897-0-63116100-1356203117_thumb.j

...and simplified pattern uniform?

Thats not the simplified SD, it's the ordinary style with the original shorter pleated pockets and rifle patches above still clearly shown. Though it looks like it might have pressed leather GS buttons rather than brass.

Unknown Royal Welsh Fusilier in Kitchener Blue uniform taken at Llandudno, 1915. Also posted in units and formations section with a particularly nice postcard of Lieut Frederick Watson Vaughan's Coy of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Llandudno in 1915.

post-6480-0-09247100-1357037774_thumb.jp

Discovered amongst old family photographs, as with many no information.

file-2075.jpg

Now that's a beauty - a Territorial Reserve Bn of the Black Watch by the looks. If you close in on the shoulder straps, you'll find it's a plain 'T' over 'RH' - haven't got my reference books with me to make sure. Hopefully someone will identify those wearing the round glengarry badge, as they may all be from the same Battalion, but wearing both badges due to shortages.

Thank you Graham.

At least this photograph of four pals has written on the back "Taken at Alexandria on Esplanade" 29th April

Some well tanned knees !

file-747.jpg

Thank you Graham.

At least this photograph of four pals has written on the back "Taken at Alexandria on Esplanade" 29th April

Some well tanned knees !

file-747.jpg

World War II this one but not enough detail to tell you which unit.

Now that's a beauty - a Territorial Reserve Bn of the Black Watch by the looks. If you close in on the shoulder straps, you'll find it's a plain 'T' over 'RH' - haven't got my reference books with me to make sure. Hopefully someone will identify those wearing the round glengarry badge, as they may all be from the same Battalion, but wearing both badges due to shortages.

and armed with Charger Loading Lee-Enfields - nice image

Sure many of us as I do regret not just asking. My mother in law who hoarded a lot of these photographs had a truly fantastic memory and could quote names and dates at the drop of a hat, Unfortunately no longer with us, and no one left in the family.

Hopefully someone will identify those wearing the round glengarry badge, as they may all be from the same Battalion, but wearing both badges due to shortages.

In my opinion the round badges probably are Lovat Scouts, about that time attached to the Black Watch and disbanded I believe about 1901/02 also very fond of marksmanship.

regards

khaki

In my opinion the round badges probably are Lovat Scouts, about that time attached to the Black Watch and disbanded I believe about 1901/02 also very fond of marksmanship.

regards

khaki

If disbanded in '1901/02' then a bit early for this photo - bridge charger loading Lee-Enfield conversions were not introduced until 1908 as was the Pattern 1908 Web Equipment which they all appear to be wearing - photo likely to be 1914/15 or earlier as the left hand cartridge carriers are all of the unmodified pattern which are seldom seen in photos beyond 1914.

Can't help with the cap badge, but charger loading Lee-Enfields were, in the main, issued to Territorial battalions.

Cheers

Manxy

Edited by Manxy

Lovat Scouts were re raised as two 500 man Yeomanry units after the Boer War, then became cyclists, Home Defence duties early WW1. Served in Gallipoli and Egypt and being so reduced in numbers that they were amalgamated to form the 10th Cameron Highlanders in 1916

regards

khaki

There is a version of the Lovats Scouts cap badge that has a plain circular strap without the usual dangling end protruding from the bottom and, perhaps, consistent with the original photo. However, I have never seen Lovat Scouts wearing glengarries, their usual headdress being blue-white diced Balmorals but also utilized tam o'shanters and slouch hats during active service.

More likely that the circular badge is a legacy item from the 2nd (Angus) Volunteer Bn Black Watch still worn by the 5th (Angus & Dundee) Bn Black Watch TF.

Don't let me mislead anyone, I am no badge expert, the only similar badge I could think of was the Lovat badge and when I did a bit of research and found that they were linked with the Black Watch it did seem to confirm a possibility. I don't know too much about glengarries or cut off dates with equipment etc, however sometimes territorial uniforms and badges are worn that are inconsistent with standing regulations, Maybe that was the 'wear' for the shooting team etc or the photo.

khaki

Thanks to all who continue to contribute to this thread, it is great to see the images. The last picture of the ASC head and shoulders was wonderful especially the cloth slip on / stitch on ASC s/ts!

Thanks all

TT

There is a version of the Lovats Scouts cap badge that has a plain circular strap without the usual dangling end protruding from the bottom and, perhaps, consistent with the original photo. However, I have never seen Lovat Scouts wearing glengarries, their usual headdress being blue-white diced Balmorals but also utilized tam o'shanters and slouch hats during active service.

More likely that the circular badge is a legacy item from the 2nd (Angus) Volunteer Bn Black Watch still worn by the 5th (Angus & Dundee) Bn Black Watch TF.

I'm in full agreement with your comments about the Lovats. Your comments about the 2nd (Angus) V Bn Black Watch rang a bell with me as I've never found a satisfactory home for this postcard of a group of cooks. I discounted Lovats for the same reasons as you suggest above, likewise discounted 5th Seaforths because of lack of buckle to strap and it looks too early to be the 1914 pattern Tyneside Scots.

Be very interested in your observations.

Tim

post-53823-0-04912000-1357311134_thumb.j

post-53823-0-31384100-1357311190_thumb.j

post-53823-0-92964000-1357311204_thumb.j

I'm in full agreement with your comments about the Lovats. Your comments about the 2nd (Angus) V Bn Black Watch rang a bell with me as I've never found a satisfactory home for this postcard of a group of cooks. I discounted Lovats for the same reasons as you suggest above, likewise discounted 5th Seaforths because of lack of buckle to strap and it looks too early to be the 1914 pattern Tyneside Scots.

Be very interested in your observations.

Tim

Tim,

I agree that the time window of your photo is pre-1914 and is likely at an annual camp circa 1900 or a little later. I also concur that these are not 5th Seaforth for two reasons: 1) As you noted the badge would show a buckle at the bottom; and 2) the 5th Seaforth ORs would have worn a diced glengarry of Sutherland pattern (red-white dicing).

The only unit ID clues we have from the photo are the circular badge and solid glengarries. Unfortunately, I am not at home right now and an without access to my reference books. An on-the-fly answer is an educated guess that these men are either 2nd (Angus) VB Black Watch or possibly 3rd (City of Dundee) VB Black Watch. A militia Bn is also a possibility.

I can give you a better answer after January 14. In the meantime, perhaps you might wish to scan the plates in Grierson's records of the Scottish Volunteer Force. While Grierson is good on uniforms, his depictions of badges are not always accurate.

Mike