Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

post-35362-0-37871200-1396777892_thumb.j

I've had this postcard for a long time. There's no information on it but I thought it rather a fun image. If anyone knows which unit these chaps are in I'd very much like to know.

Royal Artillery perhaps, but a close up of just the badges would help as it is not quite clear enough for me to see.

post-35362-0-09590100-1396785254_thumb.j

Royal Artillery perhaps, but a close up of just the badges would help as it is not quite clear enough for me to see.

Yes, Royal Artillery I think.

attachicon.gifdetail 001.jpg

Indeed they are Artillery.

A good image by the way.

Jokes about German sausage seem to have been in.

post-91897-0-57556500-1396798912_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

A little overdue in an update. I have aquired some nice ones over the last few months.......

12 KRR. Luther Morris. Note shoulder patch with 12 KRR.

TT

post-15846-0-56527800-1398946941_thumb.j

post-15846-0-51500000-1398946971_thumb.j

A German NCO..............

IR 125 (7th Wurrtemberg) I think, from the shoulder strap. Dated to the rear October 1918.

post-15846-0-26202100-1398947404_thumb.j

attachicon.gifdetail 001.jpg

What is quite nice is that the 2 chaps in the middle are wearing Royal Artillery King's Crown cap badges with the standard flat guns, but the chap on the right is wearing the same badge but with an additional rotating gun wheel.

I was told by one old veteran, that he had purchased his "3D Rotating Wheel" badge, to replace the standard flat cap badge. It was just added bling.

Sepoy

The Queens.......

post-15846-0-52468700-1398947961_thumb.j

RWF

Bob, Lille November 1918.

post-15846-0-32135700-1398948337_thumb.j

A little overdue in an update. I have aquired some nice ones over the last few months.......

12 KRR. Luther Morris. Note shoulder patch with 12 KRR.

TT

GREAT photo TT!

RWF

Bob, Lille November 1918.

Always like to see RWF in images. I wonder if this was taken just after the armistice, lets hope so and that he then went home.

Likewise Jerry,

I think most likely he did survive. Interestingly and you wont see this in the scan, he is wearing regimental RWF buttons and not the GS type.

TT

Likewise Jerry,

I think most likely he did survive. Interestingly and you wont see this in the scan, he is wearing regimental RWF buttons and not the GS type.

TT

That is interesting TT. I did get the impression that in some RWF battalions (mostly regular and TF) attempts were made for SNCOs to wear regimental buttons if they could be obtained, although they were not generally a free issue, so presumably had to be purchased.

Likewise Jerry,

TT

Thanks for the added information TT. It is interesting that he has regimental buttons, one of those things that if you saw them on a period tunic, some people would doubt them as being original. Always good to get period proof that such did happen.

A valid point Jerry and that is the priceless value of postcards. They offer real proof of uniform details that cannot be argued against.

Glad the image was useful and interesting to you.

Best regards

TT

I have a khaki drill frock for a Pte of the Seaforth Highlanders that has regimental buttons. With all other markings on the frock clearly authentic (overseas service chevrons, marksmanship badge, good conduct chevron, wound stripe), I have no reason to believe that the buttons are anything but original.

Photo is believed to show Private William Thomas Carr Anderson 39163 13th Royal Scots, formerly S/12867 11th Black Watch.

attachicon.gif023.JPG

He was killed in action on 22nd August 1917 aged 25 years. Born in Australia but had arrived in this country along with his parents by 1911 when he is described in the 1911 census as a "British Subject by parentage". He married a Charlotte L. Cameron on the 28th April 1916 at Ladyloan Parish Church, Arbroath while under training as a member of B Company 11th Black watch.

Private Anderson is buried at Potijze Chateau Grounds Cemetery and is remembered on the Arbroath War memorial and in the book "Roll of Honour Arbroath and District 1914:1919" by T. Buncle & Co.

The photo shows him in Black Watch uniform.

Any info on the year this was taken, I am also interested in the caps. Type and colour.

Paul C

This was taken approx between Jul / Aug 1914 and Feb 1915 more than likely the former.

I'm not a uniform expert so not sure about the caps but there are lots of knowledgeable souls on the forum.

Regards,

Simon.

Any info on the year this was taken, I am also interested in the caps. Type and colour.

Paul C

They are universal forage caps, issued to replace the Brodrick in phases over the period 1904-5. For the Lincolns they were dark blue with red piping to top of crown and another where the cap band adjoins it. I can send you large colour photos of the same cap but with DWR badges if you wish. PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

My latest acquisition two photographs of a Scots Guards officer in a leather bound frame. Imagine my delight when I took them out of the frame and found that they were named.

Sherard Haughton Godman. D.S.O. Lt. Col. Scots Guards. He commanded the 1st battalion and was wounded at the Battle of Loos.

Great photos and what a typical looking Guards Officer.

I believe this to be my great grandfather Albert Sargent D/1141 served in 3rd Dragoon Guards 1906-1907 and 6th Dragoon Guards 1907 -1913 transferred to Army Reserves Sep 1914 shipped out to France Sep 1914 again with 6th Dragoon Guards. Survived the war but died young in late 1920s. Confirmation of Cap badge would be appreciated. post-110947-0-28192900-1402470251_thumb.

A close up of the cap and badge for Albert Sargent

post-110947-0-17051500-1402470509_thumb.