Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

post-43036-0-35674900-1404488230_thumb.j

This PC turned up on the Bay for the princely sum of £2.99, signed R.L. Brett. A search on the National Archives found just one strong candidate, MS/4234 Sergeant Robert Lewis Brett of the Army Service Corps who had joined up in September 1914.

Born in Ramsgate, in 1888 he was a Motor mechanic/driver by trade, he went to France with the 3rd Cavalry Division Ammunition Park. he served almost all the way through the War in France from October 1914 to August 1918. His service records survive on Ancestry confirming his 4 chevrons. He was awarded a 1914 star trio with clasp.

He lived until 1976, passing away at the age of 88 at Ipswich.

Pte Joseph Forrest. A Coy 7th battalion Seaforth Highlanders and his sweetheart, later wife, Eva Walmsley of Blackburn, Lancashire. Joseph previously served in Egypt with the 1/4th battalion East Lancashire Regiment and later with the 3/4th battalion where he was a platoon sergeant. Eva's brother James seems to have been in the same platoon. I have Joseph's 1916 dated notebook from his time as a platoon sergeant and it is full of insights into a platoon sergeant's role. It contains lists of men, their boot sizes, cap sizes and their roles within the platoon. I will start a separate thread if any one wants to see it.

I would be interested in seeing excerpts from Joseph's notebook. Please do start a thread on that topic.

His service records survive on Ancestry confirming his 4 chevrons. He was awarded a 1914 star trio with clasp.

Hi taylov,

Nice photo.

You'll notice Robert Brett is actually wearing 5 overseas chevrons - the bottom one is red (not easy to see immediately on this sepia photo) followed by 4 blue chevrons; the red chevron, of course, confirming his first overseas service in 1914. The fact he arrived in France in September 1914 would date this photo to after September 1918 (when he would have been given his 4th blue chevron). Notice he's also wearing his 1914 Star ribbon, so the photo pre-dates the issue of the BWM and VM medal ribbons later on in 1919.

All the best

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Frogsmile, what would they have worn as standard. What colour would the Lanyard be. Would it have been diferent for say the Hull Pals 11th Batt.

Paul C

The issue lanyard was made of unbleached hemp twine and it was the men themselves that sometimes plaited, or wove it (you can observe various styles in contemporary photos). The style of weaving in your photo is a box weave that gives a square form, which much later, in the 1950s, was issued by the Army in various 'regimental colours' to brighten up drab uniforms. I am unaware of any brightly coloured lanyards in WW1 and doubt very much that any existed. After the war the RA started to whiten their lanyards with blanco and, during the war, they were sometimes bleached to achieve the same effect, although it seems unlikely that they were worn in that fashion (whitened) in the line, given what a target it would have presented.

Unidentified Scotish Pioneers Soldiers in France

Post card sent home from France by my Great Grandfather Wm John Humphries (16th Bn R Irish Rifles) during the war. It reads:

'This is a p.c of the boys I was in the trenches with before xmas last. Think it was one of them a corporal give me this p.c'. W.J.H Sgt

I believe these soldiers are from 8th Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers (Pioneers) as I know men of the 16th Bn RIR were rotated through the line with these men in order to gain experience during December 1915.

​Would love to identify the men in the photo...

• 2 months later...

Two Monmouthshire Regiment soldiers one a bomber the other a Lewis Gunner. Note modified braces stitched directly to the belt

post-11424-0-62267600-1412411216_thumb.j

close up

post-11424-0-25307900-1412411617_thumb.j

Two Monmouthshire Regiment soldiers one a bomber the other a Lewis Gunner. Note modified braces stitched directly to the belt

Mark

They are members of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. The Monmouth's Dragon was winged.

Sepoy

post-55476-0-13221400-1412455414_thumb.j

And that for the Brecknockshire bn of the SWB which is a closer match to that shown by Mark

post-91897-0-04285100-1412459387_thumb.j

Another from a group of Welsh regiments I picked up recently, all from one album and some with the same men in civvies.

this time the Welsh with 38th Welsh div flash, one of two showing the two same soldiers.

post-91897-0-27310700-1412459650_thumb.j

And another of the two same Welsh regiment soldiers

post-91897-0-16905500-1412459804_thumb.j

And one for the SWB from the same album.

post-91897-0-66227500-1412459978_thumb.j

Thanks Sepoy eyesight failing fast!

Mark

They are members of the Royal Berkshire Regiment. The Monmouth's Dragon was winged.

Sepoy

• 3 weeks later...

Pte Robert Roberts South Irish Horse, taken POW 21/3/1918 while serving with the 7th Royal Irish, note prison made shoulder title.

Look like a woven white worsted "S.I.H." - certainlly not metallic.

Scottish soldiers undergoing Stokes Mortar training.

post-11424-0-09796200-1414348518_thumb.j

Hi,

Thought this might be of interest. Postcard of what I think is Highland Light Infantry?

Note the badges on the chap centre back row

post-102825-0-61370300-1414747735_thumb.

Gordon

Hi,

Thought this might be of interest. Postcard of what I think is Highland Light Infantry?

Note the badges on the chap centre back row

attachicon.gif015 - Copy.JPG

Gordon

To my eye, the man on the right in the back row (only one whose cap badge is halfway visible) seems more likely to be wearing the Royal Scots cap badge. Some possibility that it could be the HLI, as you say, or could be 4th or 5th Bn Royal Scots (Queen's Edinburgh Rifles) who had a cap badge similar in shape the to the HLI.

Does anyone have postcards of Rifle Brigade soldiers that they could share with the forum?

Group pictures and individual shots would be good to see.

Best regards,

Mark

Here's a PC dated July 1918 but no more information than that.

The "Maltese Cross" cap badges are similar to some of the Londons but I would welcome any thoughts.

Tony

post-43036-0-34934200-1415184518_thumb.j

Thanks for continued contributions everyone. Must add some more of mine soon.

TT

Here's a card from the Southampton area. Railway buffs will instantly recognise the station as Nursling on the Southampton to Romsey and Andover line !!!

A great photo of railway staff and soldiers. But from what regiment? Fusiliers ?

post-43036-0-65154900-1415437220_thumb.j

post-43036-0-19738300-1415437293_thumb.j