Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Beaucamps Ligny 15

MelPack

See the latest issue of After The Battle. An RAF airman from WW2 was indentified by DNA tests carried out by the RAF casualty branch in March 2008.

Lets hope we dont hear anymore tired old Excuses from the MOD about their woeful lack of performance...to whit,The Afghanistan Farce,Lack of Money,Logistics,Time,more pressing matters,Blah,Blah,Blah.

Have recieved a reply from my MP Jo Swinson.

She states that she has writen to the minister for defence personnel and veterans asking for assurance that the bodies will be DNA tested to aid identification.

She will get back in touch once there is a reply. (should add this was recieved 26th july)

Good reply recognising 'the need to preserve the dignity and memory of those who gave their lives in the great war'

hope all the small bits of preasure have a cumulative and sucessfull outcome.

james

Have recieved a reply from my MP Jo Swinson.

She states that she has writen to the minister for defence personnel and veterans asking for assurance that the bodies will be DNA tested to aid identification.

She will get back in touch once there is a reply. (should add this was recieved 26th july)

Good reply recognising 'the need to preserve the dignity and memory of those who gave their lives in the great war'

hope all the small bits of preasure have a cumulative and sucessfull outcome.

james

If you want to know what Minister will say in response see post 136 onwards. It appears obvious to me the Govt are using a standard response to all letters received.

KH

Thanks Chris (#174) and James (#181) for your confirmations. I have also received the stock response via my MP.

Although I tend to agree with Seadog and PBI that all routes to securing an identification should be followed, I think that the lobbying has had the desired effect. Now that the matter has received public exposure and, the decision makers are aware of that, I cannot envisage the MoD being obliged to take any route other than DNA testing.

With all the ifs and buts, Andrew Robathan's statement is about the best we are going to get short of the Minister signing a promissory note in his own blood. I would suggest that we should allow matters to rest at this point in terms of lobbying and monitor how the process unfolds.

The work on the genealogy of the missing 58 soldiers is progressing well. I have established contact with close descendants of twenty of the soldiers already, many of whom are either DNA compatible themselves or are in contact with other relatives that are.

The caveat in the statement of the Minister that ' DNA testing will be used, providing the list of potential casualties can be narrowed down to a reasonable number and suitable relatives can be traced to obtain DNA samples from' will not, therefore, be an impediment.

Mel

Finally heard back from my MP's office; was beginning to wonder what was happening but to be fair to him he only got the (standard) response (from the Minister) a week ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mel,

the Donny piece is repeated,without the images,in todays Sheffield Star as well.

Dean.

• 1 month later...

Hello Norman

I am disappointed by the reply that you have received from the Minister; not least because it is inconsistent with the previous stock response.

The two personnel of the Historic Section of the SPVA do not deal with current casualties so there is no question of prioritising as suggested - or at least not in that context. As it stands, the only additional costs for identification will be the DNA testing of the remains and the matching of bloodline relatives.

Relative contacts have been identified for 42 out of the 58 soldiers with 35 of the soldiers having appropriate donors found in at least one or the other of the DNA categories thus far.

There is only one soldier whose family will never be traced because he enlisted under an alias and the information that he provided matches no records whatsoever. The rest are all perfectly traceable with hard work and persistence.

Mel

Hi Mel here is a further extract from the same letter. I cannot post the whole thing as it is in two pages and an upload will be difficult to read. The rest of the letter just contains the usual waffle about why the MOD do not publish details of the discoveries until any identification has been made, what a pity then that the recent finds in Belgium have been reported by the Belgian newspapers and even more so, a video is on the net!. Great work from you and others and I hope that it comes to fruition.

Best Wishes

Norman

post-21884-048016800 1289476071.jpg