Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Beaucamps Ligny 15

MelPack

Norman

Thank you for posting the extract from the letter.

It would appear that the Minister needs a lesson in the distinction between 'speculation' and informed commentary based upon detailed research.

The statement that the MoD does not 'encourage' nor 'sanction' research that can lead to the identification of missing soldiers is woeful as a public admission.

Mel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mel

Larrett here

just been reading latest 11 november .Will in your opinon we ever here from them re the 15 .

I was up tight at were the 15 was found according to local bar owner they were found in the old Cafe ( Fire Station ) outside Beaucamps Ligny, not in the Village

its self but my French is :excl: . They had the roads up and we were a bit pushed I hope to get back next year in better weather not fog and rain as we had

Larrett

• 2 years later...

Letter received from my MP Nicola Blackwood today, enclosing the reply to her query on my behalf from Rt. Hon. Mark Francois MP, Minister of State for Defence Personnel Welfare and Veterans:

11 March 2013

"Blah blah blah my letter...

I can confirm that the remains of the 15 soldiers are still with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) in France, and my officials in the Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC) continue to work with the CWGC, French local authorities and the York and Lancaster Regimental authorities in order to identify them.

It is planned that all remains currently held by the CWGC in France will be buried by 30 June 2014. Where it is not possible to identify remains within the timeframe, a small dignified service will take place for each set of remains, and their graves will be marked the the standard 'Known unto God' headstone. Where identification is likely, investigative work will continue after burial and, if identities are established subsequently, appropriately named headstones will be erected.

Blah blah blah"

Cheers,

Simon

Simon please see post 424 below and the subsequent posts. The letter on post 425 expands a little on the response that you have received. When you see the posts you will read my concerns with regard to the last paragraph in your letter and whether it relates to the BL-15 or the remainder of the unburied British human remains at present in the custody of the CWGC which could total up to 50 individuals. I have recently received confirmation from Lord Faulkner that he is pursuing this aspect with a view to obtaining clarification.

Link

http://1914-1918.inv...c=137464&st=400

Regards

Norman

Precisely. Francois' letter is just a copy of Johnnie Astor's response with the interesting bit cut out.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

I emailed my MP (Tony Cunningham) and received a very positive response. He said he had written to Andrew Robathan about this. Linda

Nice one Linda we await with eager anticipation the results of the investigations which will include DNA profiling where possible and which we hope will result in the identification of some if not all of the soldiers discovered in 2009.

Norman

PS There are two threads going on this subject and the link in Post 206 will take you to the major one where there is more information.