Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amazing finds

stephen p nunn

Mick, did you stick the SRD jar back together? :rolleyes: Never seen a complete one yet in the ground , always loads of pieces, always think they are a good sign of activity.

Tony

I leave most stuff where it is now unless it really does something for me. I only know of one SRD that has been a genuine complete find and that was at the back of a house in Hamel.

Mick

Mick, did you stick the SRD jar back together? :rolleyes: Never seen a complete one yet in the ground , always loads of pieces, always think they are a good sign of activity.

The documentary "The Forgotten Battlefield" following The Diggers excavations at Boezinge showed one coming out of the ground perfectly intact after 90 years underground. The many pieces seen frequently seen together are likely the result of what had been intact underground examples being brought to the surface by ploughing and broken in the process :( . If you look at the few broken edges visible in the picture they all appear bright and crisp, so the breakage could only have been very recent or they'd be dirty and dulled.

One of the most prolific areas for very larges pieces of rum jar is in the field adjacent to the New Zealand Memorial.

Heres a couple of bottles, the Codd was found at Thistle Dump.

Mick

Great stuff, New Zealand Memorial by Flers?

Tony

Yes - I also found a nice little crown badge there, either a major or CSM.

Mick,

Your collection of finds must be quite impressive, do you have any photo's of your entire collection ?

Mick

Shoulder title New Zealand Rifle Brigade and Australia (found by a farmer near Warneton-Waasten)

German buttons

Cnock

post-7723-1266780978.jpg

Shoulder title New Zealand Rifle Brigade and Australia (found by a farmer near Warneton-Waasten)

German buttons

Cnock

Cnock

Thank you for sharing.

I am sitting here trying to imagine the circumstances in which the Kiwi soldier lost his shoulder title. I suspect it would not have been a pleasant experience.

Tony

Tony,

I agree with You, and we will never know.

One of the too many tragedies that happened.

Mankind didn't learn from it, 21 years later it started again

regards,

Cnock

Probably my favorite is a U.S. M1917 helmet shell I picked up on eBay on a BuyItNow for $15 (a good price for any Great War-era helmet shell) about a second after it was posted. It was clear the lady selling it figured it was just some old junk. Although obvious that someone had painted it decades ago by the shape of the shiny green paint, it had some old hard-to-see markings on it that are too oddball to be fake. It's owner had used some sort of metal to scrape away the sand finish in the shape of three keystones and the words "Marne" and "Ypres." The keystones are the symbol of the U.S. 28th Division and only the division's field artillery saw action at both the Marne and Ypres in October 1918, a fact that's a mere historical footnote.

Wijtschate

part of Lebel rifle with one of the round stilsl in what was a tubular magazine

Cnock

post-7723-1266827280.jpg

Langemark,

oxygen bottle and brass parts Draeger breathing apparatus

Cnock

post-7723-1266828041.jpg

Nice find Cnock, here is one at the original Zonnebeke Museum. Stupid question, were these used primarily for tunnellers or victims of poison gas?

Norman

4304347445_1dc5fdfd6b.jpg

PS What are the opening times of your museum and is there an entry charge? :lol:

Norman,

not a stupid question,

the Draeger were first used by miners or tunellers pre WW1

unfortunately no private museum

most items I show are not in my possession, just took a foto.

my wife would kill me if I brougt all those rusty items home

regards,

Cnock

Norman,

I do a lot of battlefield walking just armed with a camera and trench maps.

Whenever I have the occasion, I talk with the local farmers. When they have time they show me what they found, and where.

sometimes I do some cleaning of the objects they gave away.

British fuzes and driving bands from Peckham Farm crater.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1266838876.jpg

These British, German and French (dated pre 1914) rounds and British uniform button were found at St Elooi in 1999, when a new road was contructed.

A lot of clay from beneath the new road had been removed, it was very easy to spot the dark green brass items in the yellow clay.

Also German pieces of equipment, as bayonet frogs and packs were lying in the mud. But when touched they fell away in pieces, because the stitching was gone.

The leather was still in fair condition, manufacturer and year could still be red.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1266847074.jpg

You can make these pieces into useful(?) objects here is a paperweight made from a British Type 80 shell fuse (sectioned)together with some shrapnel balls. All objects found on the fields of Flanders.

Norman

4378706465_c077d5f0a2.jpg

A small fragment of a British Rum Jar found in a field under the Passchendaele Ridge in Flanders. Small but luckily the piece with SRD (Supply Reserve Depot) on it!.

Norman

4378769355_31578ee961.jpg

Cnock and Mick (Auchonvilliers) please consider putting your photos on Flickr and then we can see all of them ;)

Norman,

post 223,

looks like a Kanonen Zuender 14 for the field gun 7,7 cm

top of this fuze was in iron

were also used for firing gas shells (green cross)

Regards,

Cnock

A small fragment of a British Rum Jar found in a field under the Passchendaele Ridge in Flanders. Small but luckily the piece with SRD (Service Ration Depot) on it!.

SRD is actually "Supply Reserve Depot".