Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amazing finds

stephen p nunn

What would you describe as a safe distance from a grenade?

What would you describe as a safe distance from a grenade?

Approx 190 metres in all directions. That's the safety distance for the current L2 grenade (well, 192 metres, actually), but I suppose it's a rough guideline.

It also depends on terrain, cover, etc.

So not much good for photography purposes then as per post 175 :lol:

Although a safe distance is all relative to its state.

Approx 190 metres in all directions. That's the safety distance for the current L2 grenade (well, 192 metres, actually), but I suppose it's a rough guideline.

It also depends on terrain, cover, etc.

I don't doubt the distance quoted, but it reminds me of the joke about a nuclear handgrenade. You can throw it 30 metres, but unfortunately the kill area is 35 metres!!

I don't know anyone who could throw a grenade 192 metres. :D

I will also add, as this is a serious subject, that all undetonated munitions should be left well alone.

From Mort Homme some 15 to 18 years ago!

post-15846-1265890852.jpg

Eh Mr Endon, me and the vicar would have still been in range when you attempted to adjust this little blighter lol

(near Bouleaux wood Dickens memorial)

wulsten what do you mean by attempted to adjust this little blighter ? not what i think you mean is ist ? :o and this from a man who always says its best not to touch !!!!! just photograph and leave alone and mark the spot , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tafski <_<

Can I report a decent charity shop find today - 6 volumes of Creswicke's "South Africa and the Transvaal War" in very good order including the supplementary volume and only Vol. 1 missing - £5 !

Not really that amazing, but this show a couple of bullets that were found with the cordite still in them. Our guide burned them out before we were allowed to take them. If I'm not mistaken its from near the Wood Lane between High Wood and Delville.

post-3373-1266602819.jpg

Today, opposite VC Corner Cemetery near Fromelles, about 40 cm. in length.

Roel

post-5443-1266614055.jpg

Stumbled (not literally thankfully!!) across this in a field near Newfoundland Park last weekend. There was another of the same shell type approx 50 yards away from this one.

I am referring to the shell and not the lighter!!!! :rolleyes:

post-17354-1266618486.jpg

wulsten what do you mean by attempted to adjust this little blighter ? not what i think you mean is ist ? :o and this from a man who always says its best not to touch !!!!! just photograph and leave alone and mark the spot , !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tafski <_<

well wulsten at least there was a vicar present maybe your friend thought that would have been protection enough if it had gone bang

tafski :poppy:

Yesterday in Thiepval, in the field on the RHS of the road running from Thiepval to Authille, three grenades and three, unexploaded 18 pdr shells in the space of 300m. Have got a few photos, but they are just the same as the ones above. The kids were fascinated though.

well wulsten at least there was a vicar present maybe your friend thought that would have been protection enough if it had gone bang

tafski :poppy:

My friend is protected by a superior being not like you, your a heathen :w00t:

just watch i dont booby trap yer brandy bottle next month :hypocrite:

Couple more bits. Complete SRD - well all the bits were there anyway.

shovel and Mills. The SRD and these were along Wagon Road.

My friend is protected by a superior being not like you, your a heathen :w00t:

just watch i dont booby trap yer brandy bottle next month :hypocrite:

well yer friend is a plonker i would rather be a heathen than a fool who messes with live grenades

touch the bottle and YOU WILL be a casualty :lol:

tafski

Mick, what time of year was this?

Tony

End of January going into February last year. I also found some bottles and jars and some coins, there was also a complete pair of boots but unfortuantely they disintegrated in the back of the car.

Mick

Amazing finds?

The fact that my Father gave his Brother's Trio to his Daughter. on her marriage,in the early 1950's.

And the fact that she kept them, in safety, until her Nephew came along and She gave them, to Him, in the late 1990's.

The fact that I am Custodian.of the Trio,until my Son appreciates their worth,monetarily or otherwise,is immaterial.

George

There were the remains of a few boots which intrigued me because of the number of dead soldiers you see without boots, the area was obviously a dump of some sort.

Mick