Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amazing finds

stephen p nunn

and......

and........

These two do it for me. Makes you wonder who wore them and what happened to these soldiers. When were they lost and under what circumstances? Fascinating.

Thanks for posting these.

SPN

Malson

I was near the Ulster Tower a few years ago and got chatting to a lad who had just found a dog tag, which looked as new as the day it was made.

Mick

Posted before....1/6 or 1/8 R Warks...Serre...March 2007!

TT

Also from same trip....

2007_0325Collection0086__Small_.JPG

2007_0325Collection0021__Small_.JPG

post-15846-1263933000.jpg

post-15846-1263933098.jpg

Bayonet left in field.....

2007_0325Collection0105__Small_.JPG

post-15846-1263933292.jpg

And finally another re post but you asked for pictures and as said earlier lets see pictures...Gommecourt 2008.

post-15846-1263933440.jpg

Mick...

Yes. All the insignia was as found. I take a photo for records and for this forum.

The field was as flat as a pankcake and nothing else obvious...not even a bullet or shrapnel ball.

Regards

TT

The German helmet was amongst a pile of corrugated iron the farmer had deep ploughed up.

TT

The only things I find that are that obvious are usually the things that you don't want to find, i.e. grenades or stokes mortar rounds (I seem to find loads of them).

Mick

Amaizing finds TT

I have only found a Australian collar badge near Pozieres.

But to find a capbadge like you did is some thing i would like to

Excellent photos TT, I think that the objects look very poignant when seen in-situ.

Here is a combined photo from the Somme, on the left near Regina Trench and the right near to New Munich Trench.

2047239312_16ccd8916b.jpg

Norman

• Admin

Many years ago I was chatting to a bloke outside Devonshire Cemetery when he opened the boot of his car and took out a very intact pineapple grenade and asked what it was and whether it was dangerous. I hope he didn't take it home after I identified it! :P

Michelle

Norman,

How long ago was the photos taken and under what circs was the helmet recovered?

TT

And finally another re post but you asked for pictures and as said earlier lets see pictures...Gommecourt 2008.

Oh my goodness!!! So what regiment is that and can you link them in with the place you found it?

Best regards.

SPN

Maldon

Maldon,

Yes the badge can be put in context to its find location....not in every case. For example I have a broken KRRC cap badge found between Maricourt and Montauban. No unit of the KRR actually carried out an attack in the field in which the badge was found so the liklihoods are it was a man moving up or down the line who lost it or there was an encampment / resting area or it belonged to a non KRR soldier who aquired it somehow. In this case we cann never know!

However where the Notts and Derby badge was found it is very different. The field was the location of the 46th Div attack on 1/7/16. There was only ever one major attack there and the lines remained fairly static. The Notts and Derby were a key element of the 46th and the location of the find was where tyhe 1/5 battalion attacked and were caught on the wire. There were other units of the Notts and Derby either side but one unit had a different cap badge so the chances are that it was a 1/5 mans badge....80% plus certainty.

Re the Middlesex badge it was found near the now gone Arrowhead Copse in front of Guillemont. On 18/8 at the exact location of the find the 13th Middlesex were there and atacking. The R Warks s/t was found in the attack area of 1/8 or 1/6 Warks 1/7/16. The Cornwall s/t was found in a field that was the attack location of 7th Battalion.

Its not an exact science but strong liklihoods......I could go on with some of the other pieces but hopefully you get my drift!

Kind regards

TT

Maldon,

Yes the badge can be put in context to its find location....not in every case. For example I have a broken KRRC cap badge found between Maricourt and Montauban. No unit of the KRR actually carried out an attack in the field in which the badge was found so the liklihoods are it was a man moving up or down the line who lost it or there was an encampment / resting area or it belonged to a non KRR soldier who aquired it somehow. In this case we cann never know!

However where the Notts and Derby badge was found it is very different. The field was the location of the 46th Div attack on 1/7/16. There was only ever one major attack there and the lines remained fairly static. The Notts and Derby were a key element of the 46th and the location of the find was where tyhe 1/5 battalion attacked and were caught on the wire. There were other units of the Notts and Derby either side but one unit had a different cap badge so the chances are that it was a 1/5 mans badge....80% plus certainty.

Re the Middlesex badge it was found near the now gone Arrowhead Copse in front of Guillemont. On 18/8 at the exact location of the find the 13th Middlesex were there and atacking. The R Warks s/t was found in the attack area of 1/8 or 1/6 Warks 1/7/16. The Cornwall s/t was found in a field that was the attack location of 7th Battalion.

Its not an exact science but strong liklihoods......I could go on with some of the other pieces but hopefully you get my drift!

Kind regards

TT

Thanks TT - that Notts and Derby story is really fantastic. How must you have felt when you held that badge!

Thanks for sharing the story.

Best wishes (green with envy!).

SPN

Maldon

Tony,

A friend found a lovely NZEF badge to one of the smallest Regiments of your nations forces. I may have an image. Wont even try to spell the name but will get my book out. Found on the Somme.

Regards

TT

I have posted this before but next to a clearly marked path

UXB-01-2.jpg

Andy

Tony,

A friend found a lovely NZEF badge to one of the smallest Regiments of your nations forces. I may have an image. Wont even try to spell the name but will get my book out. Found on the Somme.

Regards

TT

TT

I would be interested to know the name.

I enjoy the photos that have been posted. In another life when I was in the NZ Police I had a break from the front line and spent 5 years as a Forensic photographer - now known as CSI.

Some of the photos that have been posted remind me of what I used to do.

Tony

Hi,

nothing amazing I guess, British key for setting fuzes

Cnock

Cnock

stops

post-7723-1264251555.jpg

post-7723-1264251622.jpg

post-7723-1264251673.jpg

Of the many finds I have had out of the soil, in monetery terms this was probably the most valuable. These are the ones that cleaned up best. The sov is mint and dated 1914. They all dated from 1897 to 1915. There were a few more.

This is one of my favourites.

Ahh...

Wondered when you would post here! Nice to see the RB badge. The sovereign was nice too....well done!

TT

Just couldn't resist. Are you out this year?

Mick

My wife found the Hessian buckle.