Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amazing finds

stephen p nunn

You're right about the sharing. There have indeed been some amazing finds shown in this thread. My favourite so far is the 'Yorkshire' shoulder badge which for me as a Yorkshireman, would be a truly wonderful item to find.

You're right about that Andy me and you both. Will be keeping close eye out for one although pref would like a West Riding Reg title :P . Wonder if Teddy would notice one gone from his collection at Ulster Tower?.. :unsure:

Wayne

You're right about the sharing. There have indeed been some amazing finds shown in this thread. My favourite so far is the 'Yorkshire' shoulder badge which for me as a Yorkshireman, would be a truly wonderful item to find.

You're right about that Andy me and you both. Will be keeping close eye out for one although pref would like a West Riding Reg title :P . Wonder if Teddy would notice one gone from his collection at Ulster Tower?.. :unsure:

Wayne

Wayne,

Being one of the contributers of considerable amounts of items to the Ulster Tower collection, whilst excavating the trenches in the wood, I can firmley say that Teddy would not only notice the shoulder title as missing but also hunt down the offender, (probably with a large stick)!! :D

As 31543 Pte Ogilwy (a relative of mine) was East Yorks Regt (aren't all the best people Yorkshiremen?) although he should have been in the West Riding Regt, I have to agree that Cap badges / Shoulder titles from my home Riding have to rate highly!!!

Rod

Lol ok will just have to have a mouch around the popes nose/mill road area and see if one pops up then. Don't fancy fighting Teddy off nor come to think of it Phoebe either.. :lol: . I'll settle for a steaming hot cup of refreshing tea which is always welcome on a visit to the tower.

By the way am soooooo jealous of you excavating what a dream job!! :D . Although i'd leave the heavy digging to someone else i'd be the guy with the trowel & brush.. :P

Wayne

I'm always amazed that the oilers all open and the smell of oil lingers.

Mick

Obviously the location of the Middlesex shoulder title does take some beating.

I'm always amazed that the oilers all open and the smell of oil lingers.

Mick

Is the small cylindrical object part of the 'pull-through?'

What are the dimensions of it?

The pull through is 3inches by about 1/4 inch.

Heres a Stokes launcher cartridge and a 1 inch all metal flare.

here

• 2 weeks later...

As discussed in my Battlefield Touring thread here are my grouped finds from this Marchs trip...well some of the finds anyhow. The bullet is special. Anyone want to guess why?

TT

post-15846-1270208629.jpg

As discussed in my Battlefield Touring thread here are my grouped finds from this Marchs trip...well some of the finds anyhow. The bullet is special. Anyone want to guess why?

TT

Because it was reversed? Hope so!

I saw the pictures on you other thread and had a look at the dog tag. Can you provide any clearer details on it. I believe SCOTT 4th PNR BN with the service number 3910. I have had a quick look on the AWM to see if I can track down a recipient, and also on Ancestry and so far no luck. Does it have a nationality?

Cheers Andy.

Andy,

He is shown as a draft reinforcement for 27th battalion. He was then attatched to 4th Pioneers. His first name is Walter. He took some tracking...I looked at every 3910 to find him and have his records.

Re the bullet....no wrong!

TT

Not sure these items are all British.

I'd say at least one is German: "Mit Go..." may very well be "Mit Gott" ("With God")

Roel

Mitt Gott is German...from Guards Pickelhaulbe plate.

Regards

TT

Andy,

He is shown as a draft reinforcement for 27th battalion. He was then attatched to 4th Pioneers. His first name is Walter. He took some tracking...I looked at every 3910 to find him and have his records.

Re the bullet....no wrong!

TT

Ah, that would be why, I only had a quick look, thought it was Australian and became a bit perplexed.

Well you've got me on the bullet then. Is the answer going to be way out of left field? Like - it was manufactured on 16 July 1915 by a man known as Basil Fawlty, who also ran a local hotel with his wife, in a munitions factory in a village just outside Eugene, Oregon, USA........ :lol: :lol:

Cheers Andy. :P

No No not Basil Fawltey.

Most German bullets found are heavily corroded due to thin steel jacket. This one is very heavy and exceptionally well preserved....why.......because it is a SmK round or K Munition...designed for amour piercing of loopholes etc. Alot of interst was shown by the locals and even if a standard round one does not recover them in this condition. Was rendered 1005 inert.

Regards

TT AKA Manuel!!!

Fantastic finds in local charity shop today - saw nice old binocular cases, rushed across and came away with a pair of 7x50 beh (Leitz) naval binoculars complete with eagle and swastika motif and a pair of 7 x 50 blc (Zeiss) naval binoculars. The latter are nice and useable but the former need a bit of work and an overhaul. Overall condition not mint - but hey I'm not complaining!

A very , very lucky find indeed. I doubt they would have stayed on the shelves on a Saturday for more than a couple of hours so they must have just been put out.

Price was a very reasonable £6 and £7 a pair respectively . The lady serving me kindly pointed out a pair of Japanese 10 x 50s with them and said "These are newer".

• 2 months later...

As i may have said before, there is so much luck in our part of the hobby and i also believe that we (as a family) are very lucky people.

There is an old second hand tool shop in the next village along and a friend saw something that he thought might interest us. My Father drove down, took a look, made some phonecalls and then bought this:

bIMG_2515.jpg

bIMG_2516.jpg

bIMG_2517.jpg

The owner of the shop clears outtools from workshops and garages of the dearly departed and then sells them on. This particular item had a note saying it had been removed from a WW1 vehicle. Some of you will have quickly identified it as a magneto, but it is actually a magneto from an LGOC B Type bus. We have passed it on to a friend who is restoring one and had been looking for the correct magneto. I guess in this instance that has been luckier than us.

• 2 months later...

Just posted these images on another thread but thought they should go here too. Found Ovillers more years ago than I care to remember. Believed to belonged to a 7th battalion soldier.

TT

post-15846-008333500 1283507550.jpg

post-15846-000168300 1283507559.jpg

Mouthwateringlipsmacking..... not much to find at moment, roll on November.

Mick

Here's a couple of things I've recently acquired. I collect WW1 and WW2 documentation so these are nice to have.

A image of the then new cenotaph printed on the thinnest crepe paper imaginable. This is so fragile I'm afraid to touch it.

A copy of the Balkan News dated 13 August 1918. A newspaper for troops on the Selonika front. With this item I got letters from a soldier to his parents in London from Selonika along with locally produced illustrations of the front.

John

post-8629-039058800 1283793741.jpg

It is of course always nice to see other peoples items however I believe the spirit of this thread is about battlefield finds?

Waiting for the storm?

TT

It is of course always nice to see other peoples items however I believe the spirit of this thread is about battlefield finds?

Waiting for the storm?

TT

I suppose you are right TT but plenty of other people have supplied details of non battlefield finds, and I'm sure most people are pleased to see any new WW1 items emerge, be it from a charity shop, a collection or a field.

I'll go back to cleaning those shells now....

John

I suppose you are right TT but plenty of other people have supplied details of non battlefield finds, and I'm sure most people are pleased to see any new WW1 items emerge, be it from a charity shop, a collection or a field.

I'll go back to cleaning those shells now....

John

Actually yes, it is really interesting to see what people are finding in junk shops and at car boot sales. I might have to go for a car boot sale rummage this Sunday if the missus will let me talk her into taking her and the kids out for a while...

Picture albums at boot sales might be worth a 'shuftie' through too, you never know what you might find.

Hmmm...

Ok ok I surrender!!

TT