Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amazing finds

stephen p nunn

I know I haven't been a member of this forum for long but I have read so many fascinating threads that I can't remember all of them. However, one that sticks in the mind was a post with a picture of a cap badge that someone had found on a clod of earth in a ploughed field (in France I think?). That has stayed with me ever since. If it isn't too non-PC (as an archaeologist myself I know it isn't about unstratified objects but I can't help it!) can you tell me about any great discoveries that you have made by chance (with any pics)?

(Have been watching a Finding the Fallen CD over Christmas and reading 'Digging the Trenches').

All the best

SPN

Maldon

You may enjoy having a look at my finding shown on posts #511-13 in the "Then and Now .....90 years ago and today, Comparison photographs of the Western front" thread in Miscellaneous > Classic Threads.

It will be reported in detail in the second issue of the journal " Archeologia della Grande Guerra" (Archaeology of the Great War).

Franz

Before the knives are out, I never dig or detect :hypocrite:

Best was a Razor in front of Serre named to an Accrington Pals casualty. When visiting Thiepval Centre he is there on the poster and I also bought his Death Plaque off Ebay. He also features in the Accrington Pals book by William Turner.

Found other interesting stuff, pencil stuck in a bullet case, ring with inscription inside, long Lee Enfiend shoulder plate, various regt buttons.

Also found Tommies open once!

Tony

You may enjoy having a look at my finding shown on posts #511-13 in the "Then and Now .....90 years ago and today, Comparison photographs of the Western front" thread in Miscellaneous > Classic Threads.

It will be reported in detail in the second issue of the journal " Archeologia della Grande Guerra" (Archaeology of the Great War).

Franz

Wow Franz - what a fantastic sign! and to see it in the original photo!

Best wishes and thank you.

SPN

Maldon

Best was a Razor in front of Serre named to an Accrington Pals casualty. When visiting Thiepval Centre he is there on the poster and I also bought his Death Plaque off Ebay. He also features in the Accrington Pals book by William Turner.

Found other interesting stuff, pencil stuck in a bullet case, ring with inscription inside, long Lee Enfiend shoulder plate, various regt buttons.

Also found Tommies open once!

Tony

Love the razor story - what a treasure!

Thanks Tony.

SPN

Maldon

Just in case knives come out, please be assured i'd be on your side.

Digging, unless under a professional archaeologist direction, is totally against my ethics.

Documentation and information about my findings is always shared to public knowledge.

Here is another nice piece of wood. It is the top cover of a small box sent by a relative to a private at an outpost. Found in the ruins of a hut on a glacial mountain top.

Bot the addressee and the sender are easily readable as:

Herr

Florian Ellecosta

K.u.K Hochgebirges Komp.

Oberleutenent Osterer

Feldpost 372

Absender

Anna Ellecosta

Grinen Baun

Bruneck

Best regards,

Franz

post-50322-1263164594.jpeg

This is probaly my best...... found on the track near to sunken lane (just 100yrds to the left of the cross) ....

post-43102-1263170252.jpg

This was sticking out of a big piece of earth on the edge of a field that had just been ploughed right next to the Butte De Warlencourt, thought it was live at first, and no i didnt go digging for it, was spotted by pure chance.

post-45941-1263229475.jpg

This was sticking out of a big piece of earth on the edge of a field that had just been ploughed right next to the Butte De Warlencourt, thought it was live at first, and no i didnt go digging for it, was spotted by pure chance.

still charge? :angry2:

Man, that is really dangerous. you need to get those tiles grouted. my rates are competitive.

Regards

John

Man, that is really dangerous. you need to get those tiles grouted. my rates are competitive.

Regards

John

The shell motif is quite good though.

Mick

Regards

John

:lol::lol:

But to having that shell - more like :blink:

Probably my picture of the badge in a clod of mud......

Posted before but since you asked.......

TT

post-15846-1263240642.jpg

and....

post-15846-1263240765.jpg

and......

and........

post-15846-1263240912.jpg

post-15846-1263240983.jpg

Finally..................or am I joking!!!!

post-15846-1263241209.jpg

hello, we have many "rusty metal" finds, all of which we treasure, but our most fortunate find was buried in Flatiron copse cemetery, Somme, on october 14th this year and shares his grave with another "unknown" british soldier ( see http://www.rblsomme.org/The_Somme_Bugle_Ne...ME%20BUGLE5.pdf ). With the help of the wonderful CWGC we were able to lay him to rest in a marked grave rather than the muddy ploughed field in which we found him, won't post a picture of what we found !! but some nice buttons and fabric pieces too. Sarah

Sarah thanks for the info. I take that you are referring to the interment as depicted on this photo I have received from the CWGC. I may be missing something but I cannot see any mention of this on the link to the "Somme Bugle" that you have posted. Perhaps you will be kind enough to detail the circumstances surrounding the discovery of the remains that you mention.

4146455811_80975727b5.jpg

Aplogies to members if I seem to have deviated from the original topic.

Many Thanks

Norman

Did find a EK1 in pretty good nick near vimy ridge 10 years ago it sort of had a Sharpe look near the edge of a trench there and tug brought it loose ,have no idea were it is know it was about 80 percent complete no paint and about 30 percent rusted

MC

hello, we have many "rusty metal" finds, all of which we treasure, but our most fortunate find was buried in Flatiron copse cemetery, Somme, on october 14th this year and shares his grave with another "unknown" british soldier ( see http://www.rblsomme.org/The_Somme_Bugle_Ne...ME%20BUGLE5.pdf ). With the help of the wonderful CWGC we were able to lay him to rest in a marked grave rather than the muddy ploughed field in which we found him, won't post a picture of what we found !! but some nice buttons and fabric pieces too. Sarah

This is the correct link to the RBL newsletter.

http://www.rblsomme.org/The_Somme_Bugle_Ne...ME%20BUGLE6.pdf

Norman