Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Illustrated London News

Stephenb

Excellent Steve I have a 2/lt William Macfarlane Maclean 6th Argyl and Southern highlanders died 24th march 1918

Thanks in Advance

MC

Hi Steve

Can you please have a look for 2nd Lt John Luxton Ash, of the Bedfordhire Regiment? He was killed on the 3rd July 1918 and is buried on the Somme. He was born in London and initially joined the Honourable Artillery Company as a Gunner, so he has good London connections.

Thanks

John

• 2 months later...
I have a fairly complete set of the Roll of Honour pages published in the Illustrated London News 1914-1918.

If you would like me to search for a photo of an Officer killed during the Great War then please reply to this post. I need rank, name, regiment and date of death details. There's always a possibility he may have been recorded in this publication.

N.B. it may take me a few days to reply so please be patient.

Regards,

Steve Bickmore

Hi Steven

Would you possibly have anything on my Great Grandfather

Company Sergeant Major John (Patrick was his middle name but not always used) GRIFFIN

6884 4th Bn Liverpool Kings Regiment

Died 11 October 1918 in the battle in pursuit of the Selle - he died on the river bank I believe.

Any info or photo would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks Donna

Hi Stephen if you are still offering to look for people can you see if you have anything on three of my ex pupils?

2nd Lt Cyril Elmore Pells 2nd Bn Devonshire Regiment 27/5/1918 Soissons Memorial.

Lt Frederick Wigan Jones 8th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment 21/12/1916 Yardley Cemetery.

2nd Lt Walter Harold Benbow 7th Bn Kings Shropshire Light Infantry and 7th Bn Royal Berkshire regiment 23/8/1918 Bienvillers Military Cemetery

Thank you

Roger

Ex-pupils?

If, say, Lt. Jones was 20 when he died, he would have been born in 1896. To have taught him, you would have had to have been born 20 years earlier, in 1876.

Congratulations on being the Forum's oldest member. I trust you are looking forward to your 134th birthday!

:lol:

Bruce

Hi,

I would be most grateful for the photographs of two officers who I am researching. They are as follows:

Captain Walter Kendrick MEAKIN

5th Btn Bedfordshire Regiment

KIA: 15th August 1915

(I believe he may have appeared in the LIN on 25th September 1915)

Lieutenant Sidney Arthur MEAKIN

4th Btn (attchd 1st Btn) North Staffordshire Regiment

KIA: 17th December 1914

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation,

moulie11

Yes a very good point that you just beat me to advising others

MC

I have a fairly complete set of the Roll of Honour pages published in the Illustrated London News 1914-1918.

If you would like me to search for a photo of an Officer killed during the Great War then please reply to this post. I need rank, name, regiment and date of death details. There's always a possibility he may have been recorded in this publication.

N.B. it may take me a few days to reply so please be patient.

Regards,

Steve Bickmore

Hi Steve,

Do you still have access to this information?

My Great Grandfather was CSM John Griffin 6884 Liverpool Kings Regiment 4th Bn.

He died on 11 October 1918.

Is there any chance you have anything on him?

Thanks, Donna

Donna

Did you see my post earlier? I fear Steve has not been 'on the air' for months.

Are you aware that your ggf is named on the Roll of Honour in Liverpool Town Hall? Panel 47R, according to their numbering system. The only details shown are name, initials, rank and regiment, and in his case '4th Batt.'.

D

Could a check be made relating to this officer

DAWSON-SMITH, FRANK

Lieutenant

Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry

Secondary Regiment: King's African Rifles

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 5th

Date of Death: 11/01/1920

any help relating toan image in particular would be much appreciated

Donna

Did you see my post earlier? I fear Steve has not been 'on the air' for months.

Are you aware that your ggf is named on the Roll of Honour in Liverpool Town Hall? Panel 47R, according to their numbering system. The only details shown are name, initials, rank and regiment, and in his case '4th Batt.'.

D

Hi

Thanks a lot! Liverpool Town Hall was the first place I saw his name many years ago.

I managed to get a photo of it sent over from the Town Hall in an email too.

Donna

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

new to site so go easy on me!!

I like to know if anyone can give me any info and photos of.

John Chantry Elliot Inchbald

Death Date:2 Apr 1917Death Date:2 Apr 1917Death Date:2 Apr 1917DOD 2 Apr 1917

A/Captain (TEMP L

Devonshire Regiment

9th Battalion

Many thanks

Warren Ward

Found his MIC card. It seems his regimental number was NW/6/19442. Entitled to the 1915 Star, Victory and British medals. He first went into France on 28 July 1915. He was 2nd Lt as well as Captain (not up on which is senior). The card is stamped 28 Feb 1922 and the medals were sent to his father C C Inchbald, The Grey House, Thurlestane, Devon. You'll need someone who understands all the notations for more information.

Christopher Chantry Elliot Inchbald served with the Royal Army Chaplains Depot and went into France in 1918 (and seems to have been in Iraq). Could this be the father or is it more likely to be a brother? I can't believe it's a common name.

There's also card for J C E Inchbald - just a plain-handwritten note and it records he was "Temp 2nd Lieut (temp Captn)" and just gives his regiment and date of death, giving a page number (224). Is this of any significance?

Edited to add - nearly missed a typewritten one. "Operations: LGS 4.1.17; Vol. 29890; Page 224; MID".

Hope it helps!

001 - welcome to the forum

This thread you posted in seems to have died a death as the member offering to look up in the ILN has not been around for months. Although you have struck lucky with Varrico's info, you might get more by creating a new thread in the 'Soldiers' section.

Here is a link to the War Graves Commission site and his entry:

<http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=304002>

Meanwhile you may find more using the London Gazette site, sometimes hard to use, but there should be entries for your man's commission and promotions, also his Mention in Despatches.

<http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?GeoType=London>

It's worth trying with full name, or name and initials [no stops, gaps between] and variations until you hit something or butt the wall in frustration!

Good luck. I'm sure someone will dig more for you.

D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

thanks for the replys, Christopher Chantry Elliot Inchbald is not related to him, but very similar in names. His brother was Geoffery and his Father was Charles.

Being an amatur Geneiologist i wanted to find out about my relatives and as much about them as possilbe, also to find any photos of them. I would also like to know where there graves are.

The other soldier i wanted to find out about was Edward Ward died at 19 as a sargent, had only been in the Army for 2 years must of been highly thought of to reach that rank in that time.

His details are as follows, Edward A Ward, Died 14th Sept 1917, Machine Gun Corps,64649.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Warren Ward

001 Death Date:14 Sep 1917 Death Date:14 Sep 1917Death Date:14 Sep 1917

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve

Do you have a mention or a picture of Lt Aubrey John Waley, 12th Battalion Royal Fusiliers, KIA on 31st July 1917.

If you have anything I would appreciate it

Thanks

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

Would it be possible for you to check if there is a photo of my Great Uncle, Major Edwin Arundel Hill, 8th battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment. He died on October 26, 1918. I believe his regiment number was 2830. Many thanks and kindest regards...

Laura

Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for this kind offer :)

Is there anything on this chap ?

Name:STEVENSON, FREDERICK

Initials:F

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text:22nd Bn.

Date of Death:29/04/1917

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Bay 3.Memorial:ARRAS MEMORIAL

Thanks for your notice about the photos. I'll keep looking in other areas and hopefully will come up with something...

Laura

Laura and n

You will probably be disappointed - see my post, a few above yours, #542.

• 1 month later...
All seems to have gone quiet from Unknown... No replies recived to requests earlier in the year.

D

Hi,

Sorry, I got sidetracked by trying to find a job and work :-(

Requests, sorry, please refresh me and I'll sort them out...

My apologies,

Tom