Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Illustrated London News

Stephenb

hope im not putting on you but would it be possible to look up the following 6 officers who are named on my village war memorial 3 0f them you will notice are brothers the 6 officers are

2nd lt frederick william david grundy 9th bn royal irish fusiliers died 26/02/1917

2nd lt frederick norman howe 84 batterey 11th brigade royal field artillery died 25/04/1918

captain john leather indian ordnance department died 18/09/1914

lt frederick ryle plummer royal garrison artillery died 02/11/1918

2nd lt arthur henry plummer 5th bn kings liverpool regiment

chaplain charles benjamin plummer chaplain to the forces 4th class [c of e ] died 12/03/1917

with thanks

Would you look up a distant cousin for me please:

Major Alfred Osborn Wraith, 254 Tunnelling Company, Royal Engineers, died 13 June 1917.

Many thanks.

Hi Steve

Can you see if you have anything on

Major B Biggs (possibly) Bernard who died on December 1st 1916 from the Durham Light Infantry

and

Captain Robert Charles Penketh who died on April 16 1917 from the Northumberland Fusiliers 6th Btn

Thanks

John

Hi Stephen,

I see you have a long list of requests already, but if and when you could look-up the following 4 officers for me I'd greatly appreciate it. All 4 officers served in the 5th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery:

2nd Lt George McFarquhar Kelly-Lawson, killed in action 9th August 1917.

Captain Esmond William Milne, died of wounds 12th August 1917.

2nd Lt James Alec Rattray, killed in action 23rd September 1917.

2nd Lt Herbert Cecil Henman, died of wounds 25th September 1917 whilst attached to H.Q. XVIII Corps.

Many thanks and best regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
I have a fairly complete set of the Roll of Honour pages published in the Illustrated London News 1914-1918.

If you would like me to search for a photo of an Officer killed during the Great War then please reply to this post. I need rank, name, regiment and date of death details. There's always a possibility he may have been recorded in this publication.

N.B. it may take me a few days to reply so please be patient.

Regards,

Steve Bickmore

Hi Steve

I saw a request on this thread for a look-up for Capt. Esmond William Milne of the Royal Garrison Artillery, 111 D.5. He was my great uncle and I wondered if you had found any mention of him? He died 12/8/1917.

Thank you

Sue

Stephen doesn't seem to have posted since February so maybe we should ease off on the requests for now..

Hi Steve

I saw a request on this thread for a look-up for Capt. Esmond William Milne of the Royal Garrison Artillery, 111 D.5. He was my great uncle and I wondered if you had found any mention of him? He died 12/8/1917.

Thank you

Sue

Hi Sue,

In lieu of the other Steve replying, I've sent you a PM with what info I have on Captain Milne.

Best regards

Steve Fayers

• 1 month later...

Second Lieutenant Arthur Noel Eyre, 6th Sherwoods and 57 Squadron RFC, shot down 26th Sept 1918 Cambrai...

many thanks, matt

• 4 months later...
Any chance of:

Major Lord Bernard Charles Gordon-Lennox, third son of the Duke of Richmond, who was born on May 1, 1878, was killed in action on November 10 1914 whilst serving with the Grenadier Guards?

Thanks

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

he's in the 21st Nov 14 issue...send me a PM with your email and I will send over a photo.

Regards,

Stephen

• 1 month later...

Stephen,

I guess you are really up to your neck in doing look -ups for members.Hope you are able to take another one. Have for years been searching for a photograph of Lt. Herbert Greene. MC & Bar who served with 154 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. MC and Bar awarded 1918.

Photograph is required for a small private memorial at the place where the medal was won. Hope you can assist.

Regards,

Jasmor58

• 2 weeks later...
Guest simonbest
I have a fairly complete set of the Roll of Honour pages published in the Illustrated London News 1914-1918.

If you would like me to search for a photo of an Officer killed during the Great War then please reply to this post. I need rank, name, regiment and date of death details. There's always a possibility he may have been recorded in this publication.

Regards,

Steve Bickmore

Hi Steve

I wonder if you could look up John Chapman JOHNSON - Second Lieutenant 1st Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died on Thursday, 8th July 1915. Age 32. Buried in BARD COTTAGE CEMETERY, BOEZINGE, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Grave I. A. 42.

Much appreciated

Simon Best

• 2 months later...

Stephen

I would be grateful for any references in ILL to any of the following officers:

A.R.RATHBONE (died 6/15)

A.M.TAYLOR 8/15

J.E.ROSS 4/16

R.B.SINGLEHURST 4/16

H.E.St GEORGE 8/16

R.G.LLOYD 9/16

J.A.PHILLIPS 5/17

L.G.WRIGLEY 10/17

P. WRIGHT (Major, RFA) 1/18

T.H.ROUGHTON 3/18

J.R. CREAN 10/18

I can get hold of copies, but if you have an index that would be a great help in knowing where to look.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE (IF POSSIBLE)

Daggers

Stephen

I would be greatful if you could look up 2 officers for me.

LT Col A.I Lambert. 10th London Regiment. K.I.A 2.11.17. Gaza.

LT W.E. Hertslet. 10th London Regiment. K.I.A 15.8.15. Galipolli.

Best Regards

James

• 5 weeks later...

Dear Steve

Could you see if any of the men below are recorded for us.

Ainger, 2nd Lieutenant, Thomas Edward Missing presumed killed, Gallipoli, 21/8/1915,

Gooch Major Edward Sinclair, Died of Wounds at Home [following injuries sustained on 21/8/1915 at Gallipoli] on 21/9/1915 Buried Ft William formerly, 7th (Queen's Own) Hussars

Niven Lieutenant William Edward Graham, Killed in Action in Gallipoli on 21/8/1915

Wroughton Major Philip Musgrave Neeld, Killed in Action in Palestine on 19/4/1917

Sutton 2nd Lieutenant William Victor Ross, killed in action in Palestine on 13/11/1917

Lieutenant Richard Frederick Norreys Bertie, killed in action in Palestine on 20th November 1917

2nd Lt Richard Tuckey Hewer Killed in action on 21st November 1917 Palestine

Lieut Col Aurthur Murray Pirie att Berkshire Yeo in command, formerly 21st (Empress of India’s) Lancers. Killed in Action 21st November 1917 in Palestine

Captain William Humphrey Thomas MC & Bar, Died of Wounds in Palestine on 28/11/1917

ARTHUR HUTTON HEADINGTON Captain Berkshire Yeomanry killed in action 27th November 1917. Palestine Age 41

Thanks in advance

Andrew

• 1 month later...
Stephen, This is very kind of you. I am looking for a photo of Clive Harold Halse, 2nd Lt, RFC who was shot down in France on 24th April 1917. He was missing for some months and then his body was found and is buried at Hennechy. He was a South African but I think his family would have given a photo to the London News because they went to England at the time.

Heres holding thumbs.

Kathie

Here you go:

post-41224-1244917283.jpg

• 2 months later...

Stephen

If you have time could you please see if you can find a photo of my partners grandfather

below.

RIDLEY , JAMES WILLIAM Corporal 41880 21/03/1918 Unknown West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) United Kingdom Bay 4. ARRAS MEMORIAL

Many thanks

Kim

Regards,

Steve Bickmore

Steve.

Not sure if your kind offer still stands - I am looking for any information / photo in uniform of my G/Uncle - Lt. Leslie Gordon Ring of the 3rd Bn. London Regiment. KIA Epehy, France - 18th Sept 1918. Buried at Wood Farm Cemetery. A Kiwi who was in the UK when war broke out.

Thank you.

Tony

All seems to have gone quiet from Unknown... No replies recived to requests earlier in the year.

D

OK. Thanks for the heads up.

Tony

Steve,

Could you take a look for this man please?

Second Lieutenant GEORGE HOUGHTON

12th Bn., West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

attd. 6th Bn. , Dorsetshire Regiment

who died age 36 on 27 August 1918

Thankyou

Kate

Steve,

Could you take a look for this man please?

Second Lieutenant GEORGE HOUGHTON

12th Bn., West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

attd. 6th Bn. , Dorsetshire Regiment

who died age 36 on 27 August 1918

Thankyou

Kate

Hi Kate.

Looks as if Steve has not been responding since early this year.

Pity as it looked a good source of information.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

it's a long shot as there seems to have been no movement here for a while but....

2nd. Lt. Richard Edward Cook

11th Suffolks died of wounds 13/4/18

rather annoyingly I have a photo of someone I think is him stood next to his father but I cannot be sure and of course there is no one around to ask.....

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stephen if you are still offering to look for people can you see if you have anything on three of my ex pupils?

2nd Lt Cyril Elmore Pells 2nd Bn Devonshire Regiment 27/5/1918 Soissons Memorial.

Lt Frederick Wigan Jones 8th Bn Royal Warwickshire Regiment 21/12/1916 Yardley Cemetery.

2nd Lt Walter Harold Benbow 7th Bn Kings Shropshire Light Infantry and 7th Bn Royal Berkshire regiment 23/8/1918 Bienvillers Military Cemetery

Thank you

Roger