Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Times

Paul Hodges

Hi Steve,

Previously, you found for me the obituary for Lt. Donald Halliday Macartney - I am now trying to obtain some information about his younger brother's possible enlistment into the London Scottish battalion.

I know I have read a newspaper article about a libel case in which he was involved c.Feb/March 1915, but I cannot place my hands on it (i.e., I've lost it!). As for the search term, all the brothers were given the middle name Halliday and this was always used in any articles that I have found - so is it possible to do a search under 'Halliday Macartney' and see whether anything is returned? I suggest this because, depending on the source, this brother appears to have used the names Douglas, Francis and John!

Thanks,

Stuart

Enoch,

Harry Hoare's page in the 12th Division History:

12thDivHistoryMarch1918.jpg

Kitchener's Pioneers notes him as "D" Company.

No. 8693 is an enlistment around the end of 1908 to early 1909, I would estimate.

Steve.

Halliday Macartney's are in hiding a bit. What I have found:

The Times 1-1-1909

We are informed by the Admiralty that the following promotions have been made:

Sub-Lieutenants to be Lieutenants:

Kenneth Halliday Macartney.

Date 31st December 1908.

The Times 29th August 1921

MACARTNEY - In loving memory of Lieutenant D. Halliday Macartney, killed in action near Arras. August 1918, - Inserted by K. H. M.

The Times 3-3-1915

Libelcase.png

Steve.

The conclusion...

Libel2.png

Libel3.png

Steve.

thanks steve for the scan of 12th div. page :D

found this from the times , it looks like he was wounded very early on.

thanks again

enoch

Steve,

You've came up trumps again. I think that I can now settle on his name being Douglas, and it has given a bit of detail on the units in which he tried to enlist. He seems to have done the rounds in trying to follow his brothers' patriotic example. Kenneth and Donald had emigrated before the war, but both returned from their ranch in Canada and served with the R.N. (Lt. Commander K.H. Macartney, re-commissioned Lieut., RN, was interned with other members of the Royal Naval Division in Holland in Oct 1914 for the duration of the war) and Princess Patricias Canadian Light Infantry (Pte/L/Cpl/Sgt/Lieut. D.H. Macartney, kia 26th Aug 1918, Battle of the Scarpe), respectively. Pleased you found some little extras, particularly the in memoriam entry from Kenneth - every little helps when writing up these young men's lives.

Thanks,

Stuart

Guest kenneth mcarthur
I now have online access to the full text of The Times - better even than the CDROM which many libraries have, particularly in its searching.

I can also get quite a lot of stuff (mainly journal articles) accessible through the ATHENS scheme.

Hi Paul,

would be very grateful if you could do a look-up for a kenneth mcarthur serving with the gordon highlanders (sgt),all we know is that he served between 1897 and 1903....many thanks in advance

alex airlie

Hello Paul,

Please could i ask you to look up, 2/Lt.Maurice Anderdon McFerran MC, killed in action 21/3/18, 2nd.R.I.R.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Paul,

would be very grateful if you could do a look-up for a kenneth mcarthur serving with the gordon highlanders (sgt),all we know is that he served between 1897 and 1903....many thanks in advance

Hello Paul,

Please could i ask you to look up, 2/Lt.Maurice Anderdon McFerran MC, killed in action 21/3/18, 2nd.R.I.R.

Hi, you may have a better chance of finding out by asking Steve (Stebie9173). I think I read in one of Paul's posts that he is busy in the last year of his university course.

Stuart

Hi Steve!

I also have this on Dick Flory's thread - but thought I'd ask here too if thats OK? I have no idea of school - by any chance would you be able to find something?? I'd really appreciate it!

Lt Oakley E F 1st Battalion South Lancs

Edward Francis Oakeley son of Sir Charles and Ellen Oakeley

IGI indicates that his name could also be spelt Oakeley - fathers full name Charles William Atholl Oakeley. ( He's on the 1901 under that spelling with a second wife Elizabeth.)

Edward F Oakeley 10mo Hastings, Sussex Son St George

Ellen Oakeley 35 Notting Hill, Middlesex Wife St George

Sir Charles W A Oakeley 42 Ealing, Middlesex Head - no occupation income derived from dividends

left out the servants - there are 5

Thanking you in advance!

Annie

steve, any mention of 6004 pte/sgt ernest parsons m.m. in your list of northamptonshire men?

thanks

enoch

I'll get to these ASAP. Someone wants me to work right now!. :(

Steve.

Bill,

The Times 10-4-1918

post-6536-1138293115.jpg

Also,

Any relation?

The Times 12-6-1918

MBE (King's Birthday Honours)

McFERRAN, Miss Emily, Organiser, War Hospital Depot, County Armagh, Irish Branch, British Red Cross Society.

Steve.

Annie,

I'll need a bit of time on Oakley, but an aperitif:

The Times 4-11-1915

post-6536-1138293596.png

Steve.

Steve - thank you !

I knew Dad played cricket - but didn't have that!!

Annie :)

PS It's the "pits" when we're expected to work isn't it?? <_<

Enoch,

Ernest Parsons is not (yet?) on the list. Number would suggest 1st Battalion enlistment approx. 1900.

Not doing very well with the list so far... I'll keep an eye out for him.

The only Parsons is:

Henry Parsons, L/Cpl 12455, Wounded, Times 11-9-1916, no Battalion listed but probably either 5th or 7th and injured in mid-August 1916.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Do you mind looking up for me,Arthur Camillo Soutten,Capt London Regiment.

He was awarded the M.C. and bar,the first award for Third Ypres,and the second award for the first day of the Spring Offensive.I have the citations and L.G. entries for the M.C.s but very little else,I would be very grateful for any more info you might find for me.

Many thanks.

Stu

Stu,

Not had much time to search tonight, but:

There is this entry repeating the London Gazette of 12-6-1915 (Times 14-6-1915)

11th London Regiment (Finsbury Rifles)

Cpl. A. C. Soutten, from 28th London Reg't (Artists) to be Sec. Lt. (June 13)

He also played Golf at Highgate Club before and after the war.

Times 14-4-1919

HIGHGATE CLUB - The Junior Monthly Medal competition ended in a tie between Col. A. C. Soutten 98-15=83 and Mr D J WIlliams 99-16=83

Also Results in the Times 12-2-1923, 16-7-1923, 30-8-1926 and pre-war 2-3-1914.

He seems to be Secretary at Highgate by 1934 (He took part in a Secretaries vs Stewards match)

He was also at the 174th Brigade Dinner in July 1935.

Further Gazette entries:

LG 30-6-1917

2nd Lt. A. C. Soutten to be acting Capt. whilst comdg. a Co. 24th May 1917.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

LG 21-2-1918

London Regt- Lt. (actg. Capt.) A. C. Soutten, M.C., relinquishes the actg. rank of Capt. on alteration in posting, 11th Nov. 1917.

LG 10-5-1918

Lt. A. C. Soutten, M.C., to be actg. Maj. whilst empld. as 2nd -in Command. 23rd Mar. 1918.

LG 5-8-1919

8th Bn., London Regt.—Lit. (actg. Maj. without pay and allces.) A. C. Soutten, M..C. 11th Bn., relinquishes the actg. rank of Maj. 11th July 1919.

(That last one at least explains why he was at the 174th Brigade Dinner...)

LG 30-4-1929

11th Lond. R.—Maj. A. C. Soutten, M.C., having attained the age limit relinquishes his commn. and retains his rank. 1st May 1929.

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for the info.on McFerran. Excellent mate. I'll have to look into the MBE award.

Cheers,

Bill

Hello Steve,

Please could you have a look to see if you can find any references in the Times or the London Gazette for Godfrey Morgan Giles. He served continuously in the Territorial Army, in a variety of units, from about 1908 until his death in 1962. Thanks. Regards, Ron

Enoch,

Ernest Parsons is not (yet?) on the list. Number would suggest 1st Battalion enlistment approx. 1900.

Not doing very well with the list so far... I'll keep an eye out for him.

The only Parsons is:

Henry Parsons, L/Cpl 12455, Wounded, Times 11-9-1916, no Battalion listed but probably either 5th or 7th and injured in mid-August 1916.

Steve.

thanks steve,

you are spot on with the date of enlistment!

he was probably called from the reserve when war broke out and didn't land in france til 12/9/14

his medal group consists of m.m., q.s.a., k.s.a., 14star(bar), bwm, victory.

all named to 6004 pte e.parsons except the m.m. where he is a sgt! work that out :blink:

enoch

Ron,

First hit, 22 Oct 1947

post-6536-1138389129.png

2nd

Times 5-10-1912

3rd (City of London) Batt. London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers). - Sec. Lieut. G. M. Giles from the 10th (Co. of London) Batt. London Regiment (Paddington Rifles) to be Sec. Lieut. (Sept 7)

3rd,

Times 3-2-1918

Midd'x Motor Corps - A. Hollington to be Temp. Lt. (sny. next above Temp. Lt. G. M. Giles (Oct 31, 1917)

4th,

Times 6-8-1923

TerritorialCamp.png

Provided this is the right man, there is more to add, but I have to make a choice between this and the pub. Sorry...

Steve.

Cheers Steve,

I think you've deserved a trip to the pub. If you lived in Leeds I'd join you to buy you a pint or three !

By the way, it is the right man. Look forward to the next instalment. Thanks.

Ron