Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Times

Paul Hodges

Here's the obituary for Sir Neil Hamilton Fairley.

post-6536-1131823729.jpg post-6536-1131823967.jpg

post-6536-1131823789.jpg post-6536-1131824212.jpg

As far as library access is concerned, if your library has access (my Cambridgeshire county only has from 1975 online) you can go to the library website, go through online resources (or similar), type in your card number and access them from home.

Steve.

Dear all

Offer does still stand - although (fingers crossed) this is my last academic year so it is time-limited

Will do the new batch (namely Scott, Miller, Tristam, Mackenzie & Ratcliffe) over the next week or so.

Feel free to add any I've overlooked and new ones for not necessarily speedy perusal!

Dear all

Offer does still stand - although (fingers crossed) this is my last academic year so it is time-limited

Will do the new batch (namely Scott, Miller, Tristam, Mackenzie & Ratcliffe) over the next week or so.

Feel free to add any I've overlooked and new ones for not necessarily speedy perusal!

Thanks Paul, studying comes first, so whenever it suits you.

Regards,

Bruce

Here's the obituary for Sir Neil Hamilton Fairley.

post-6536-1131823729.jpg            post-6536-1131823967.jpg

post-6536-1131823789.jpg            post-6536-1131824212.jpg

As far as library access is concerned, if your library has access (my Cambridgeshire county only has from 1975 online) you can go to the library website, go through online resources (or similar), type in your card number and access them from home.

Steve.

Steve - thanks so much for doing this for me.

I missed your original offer to email it to me - and as I'm having a little trouble printing it out clearly - I was wondering if you'd still be willing to do this for me.

Will email you with my address.

Thanks again, cheers, Frev.

I'll email you tomorrow, Frev. (Just got back from NA).

I can always rescan at higher definition, if necessary...

Steve.

Paul,

I have an ATHENS account (though I can't use it from home :( ), and I'd be grateful if you can just confirm - the complete text 1785-1985 is accessible through it?

Ciao,

GAC

Dear all

Paul, Thanks for picking up again on my Miller request. I checked my local library, (Bradford), but they do not have on-line access. Tim

Paul,

I have an ATHENS account (though I can't use it from home  :(  ), and I'd be grateful if you can just confirm - the complete text 1785-1985 is accessible through it?

Ciao,

GAC

Dear GAC

Athens is certainly how I've got access so hopefully you will too. What you can and cannot get (journals, etc) seem very complicated - depends on whether your home institution subscribes to that journal, electronically and/or print versions. However, I think The Times is pretty standard and it is indeed full text for those years. Exceedingly good, especially as I can sneakily get at home access by logging on my Uni intranet :), the only hair in the ointment is that the OCR used to convert is probably only 99.85% accurate and those 0.15% of all that text is an 'ell of a lot!

Should make some progess tonight as Mrs H is out!

Best wishes

Paul

Here goes:

Very sorry but total blanks on Tristam & Ratcliffe.

A fair bit on Compton Mackenzie in 1932 - if anyone else would like the two key articles please pm or email me.

A few drips and drabs on the others.

Seems a lot on W D Scott - but I think they might be different Scotts (for example, A Mr W D Scott attending Lord Carson's funeral in 1935 and a Col. W D Scott attending Sir Thomas Dunlop's funeral in 1938) and I can't finger an obituary - any clue of DoD?

Miller - no relevant Miller obituaries in May 1955 I'm afraid. Nothing under Geoffrey Miller and the only G W M referred to are Mr & Mrs attending the wedding of Mr A Mitchell and The Hon Rosemary Balfour at St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh, 12th October 1935!

Paul,

If possible, I would appreciate a look-up on the following officer:

Rous Milner Limond, ASC (late King’s Own Scottish Borderers)

Limond was part of an investigation into supply irregularities during the 2nd South African War and subsequently relinquished his commission. I have been given the following “Times” references but do not have the ability to “get at them.”

- June 1905 he was a witness in an enquiry on sales and refunds to contractors in South Africa (see "The Times," 17 June 1905, page 12)

- Relieved of duty in June 1905 in consequence of the findings of the Butler Commission (see "The Times," 23 June 1905. page 6)

I’d be very interested in the articles from which this information is drawn as well as any other mentions of R.M. Limond. He died, age 38, on 10 May 1912 and is buried at the Charlton Cemetery. Don’t know if the Times would have carried word of his death but would appreciate you checking that as well should you get the chance. Thanks.

Best wishes,

~Dan

Dear GAC

Athens is certainly how I've got access so hopefully you will too. What you can and cannot get (journals, etc) seem very complicated - depends on whether your home institution subscribes to that journal, electronically and/or print versions. However, I think The Times is pretty standard and it is indeed full text for those years. Exceedingly good, especially as I can sneakily get at home access by logging on my Uni intranet :), the only hair in the ointment is that the OCR used to convert is probably only 99.85% accurate and those 0.15% of all that text is an 'ell of a lot!

Should make some progess tonight as Mrs H is out!

Best wishes

Paul

Paul,

Many thanks for clarifying that - I do appreciate your having alerted me to this resource.

Regards,

George

Here goes:

Miller - no relevant Miller obituaries in May 1955 I'm afraid.

Hi Paul thanks for that. Do you really mean March 1955? His DOD was 13/3/1955. Tim

Hi Paul thanks for that. Do you really mean March 1955? His DOD was 13/3/1955.  Tim

Sorry my mistake - there is a death notice on 16th March p. 1 Reads: "On March 13 at Edinburgh, Geoffrey Wallace Mitchell Miller, M.C., Stockbroker, of Duneaton, North Berwick, Husband of Jessie Thomson. Funeral private. No flowers or letters, please."

About 15 in-depth articles mentioning Limond in the context of the War Stores enquiry 1905-6 so pm or email me, and death notice May 11 1912, p. 1. Reads "On 10th May, Rous Milner Limond, Captain (Late KSOB and ASC), son of Major-General David Limond, C.B., R.E., aged 38. Funeral, Charlton Cemetary, Tuesday, May 14, 3pm."

Paul,

Thanks for the re-scan of the Compton Mackenzie articles.

Weell done!

Regards,

Bruce

About 15 in-depth articles mentioning Limond in the context of the War Stores enquiry 1905-6 so pm or email me, and death notice  May 11 1912, p. 1. Reads "On 10th May, Rous Milner Limond, Captain (Late KSOB and ASC), son of Major-General David Limond, C.B., R.E., aged 38. Funeral, Charlton Cemetary, Tuesday, May 14, 3pm."

Thanks for that Paul. I've sent you an e-mail.

Cheers,

~Dan

Hi!

I'm trying to find the obit for Lt Edward Francis Oakeley son of Sir Charles and Ellen Oakeley of the South Lancs somebody gave me a reference and said it was here - I'd appreciate a look up please if you have time

The Times, Saturday, Feb 20, 1954; pg. 8; Issue 52861; col E

Thanking you in advance!

Annie

Hi Paul,

If you have the time, could you please do a search for the following officer: Lieut. Donald Halliday Macartney, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, kia 26th Aug 1918 at the Battle of the Scarpe. He was the son of Sir Halliday Macartney and Lady Jeanne du Sautoy.

I have not been able to find any obituary or school/college roll for this officer, which is quite strange given his family background.

Thank you,

Stuart

Hope you don't mind, Paul.

Times 7th September 1918

post-6536-1133212543.jpg

Steve.

Steve,

You have came up trumps again! I had very little information on Donald before 1912 and have been looking for this type of information for over a year now, but had almost given up on finding anything about his schooling etc, so as you can imagine this obituary fills in a lot of background.

You're a star :D

Cheers,

Stuart

It's Paul's Topic, so he should have plaudits for showing me the way. I'll leave him to do future ones. I think I've trod on his toes already!

Just found my way into the Times Archive and taking it for a "Test Drive". Found some good stuff on my great-uncles Tirah Campaign in North west Frontier, India - including a full casualty list for the Saran Sar incident. Never thought I'd find that... Seems like he wasn't wounded (provided he was there of course)

Steve.

Sorry my mistake - there is a death notice on 16th March p. 1 Reads: "On March 13 at Edinburgh, Geoffrey Wallace Mitchell Miller, M.C., Stockbroker, of Duneaton, North Berwick, Husband of Jessie Thomson. Funeral private. No flowers or letters, please."

Thanks Paul. Very useful. Tim

• 1 month later...

Hello Paul, I wondered if you would be kind enough to have look to see if you can locate a couple of events which may have appeared in the The Times. I'm searching for the wedding of EJPF Macartney-Filgate of County Dublin, Ireland and Bertha Eugenie Lomax of Bury, Lancashire which took place in January, 1892. In addition, I am looking for EJPF Macartney-Filgate's obituary; he died in Gibraltar on the 10th June, 1927. I would be most grateful for your help in locating any associated articles in The Times. Thanks. Regards, Ron Hartley

Found the marriage in 1892:

post-6536-1136577898.png

Couldn't find an obtuary, but there is a related birth in 1927:

post-6536-1136577939.png

Steve.

Hello Steve, thanks very much for finding the marriage in 1892. Another piece in the jigsaw found.

Shame about the obituary, but then we can't have everything at once. The related birth in 1927 is another avenue to explore. Thanks again for your efforts on my behalf, and a big thanks to Paul for showing you how. Regards, Ron Hartley

Hi Steve,

Could you please look up for me,Lt Arthur Charles Sotheron Escourt M.C.,kia 8/8/18 as an observer in no 5 squadron RAF.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards.

Stu