Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Times

Paul Hodges

Paul

I would be interested if you come across any list or obit referring to the 14th or 20th Hussars, from any period. A big task I know but I am not sure how your searches work or what information I may expect. I presume this access is not generally avaialable?

Kind regards

Patrick

Paul,

I am having great difficulty locating any reference to one of the Old Boys on the Thetford Grammar School War Memorial. I can't find him on CWGC but there he is on the Memorial at school. He is Charles William Sayer who was born in February 1886 and died sometime in the First World War. The Memorial was dedicated in 1922.

Most grateful for any help on this one.

Regards,

David

I am rather proud today as I managed to lock myself out of The Times site by exceeding the limit for page lookups (1008!).

Nothing for Robert Tucker or Alfred Burrage I am afraid.

More suprisingly nothing on HMS Opal & HMS Naborough - a cover up, perhaps?

However, obits/death notices for Benson, Marden & Hayes.

There are lots (118) of references to Lena Ashwell from which we discover she was an actress, a suffragette and a recruiter (alongside Kipling no less).

Shall email these to the relevant people.

More when I'm let back on!

I would like to publically thank Paul for all the help he has given me with entries in The Times.

I contacted him off Forum saying that I would be happy with just the references to save him a lot of work. However he has not only looked up references for me but sent me copies of articles from The Times.

In my view we have a true PAL here and yet again we can see the forum as a real exchange of help and information.

Ivor,

I would just like to mirror your post and say thanks to Paul (i did so in another thread but it had no replies so I assume few saw it and noticed my appreciation) the info gained has been immensley helpful.

Arm.

Latest batch as follows:

Only 3 references to Ernest Clegg and an interestingly mixed bunch - the first is among the Army lists for the Boer War (16/1/02 p11) where as no E3660 of the SA Constabulary he is listed as dangerously ill of entereric fever at Sydenham.

Thankfully, he pulled through to give a wedding present to Princess Mary in 1922 and put on an exhibition of his wonderful maps in 1950!

Claude George: no obit, but a possible reference to him (not sure?) gaining a DSM in the Gallipoli evacuation.

Swainson: have a decent sized obit.

The main report of the Ulstermen at Theipval is attached (550k Pdf, 3rd col); there were a few other references earlier and later, and letters commending the gallantry on display.

Thanks for the thanks, pleased to be of assistance.

Ulstermen_7.7.16.pdf

Many thanks Paul.

I am keen to find when Clegg died, at least I know he was around in 1950.

John.

I have been searching for many years for any info on my grandfather and my husbands side of the family - never have I come across such a wonderful forum. All of you that offer help to others are truly amazing.

I am searching for any military info on LEONARD VICTOR DAVIDSON I dont know what regiment, he was born in Camberwell in 1894 and I have a photo of him in uniform, but dont know what service he belonged to. I have attached photo.

Also, CHARLES LAZENBY, PRivate, 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers. Injured and captured on May 8th in France (no year given in article I have).

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks from cold and snowy ontario canada.

post-14-1077939864.jpg

Hi

If possible could you have a look in the Times for

Major George Francis Johnston DSO MC* Royal Engineers

Survived the Great War but someone did tell me that his obituary was in the Times

Grateful for any info

Tim

Just a quick public vote of thanks to paul who came up with the goods on my earlier request.

Cheers Paul :D

Anthony :lol:

I too would like to thank Paul for the help he has given me, and for making this facility available for the Pals.

Cheers Paul!!

Paul,

Would you please look and see if there is any mention of Gerald Featherstone Knight MM. He died at the end of October 1919 at 82 Eaton Square, London.

I am especially looking for his obit.

Thanks

IanC

I really would very much appreciate any details of the Connaught Rangers Mutiny and if there were pictures i the times that would be a huge bonus. It started on 28th of June 1920 and they were released from prison on january 3rd 1923.

I am happy to cover any costs involved.

regards.

Tom Burnell

I forgot to add that I am interested in all the mutineers but particularly Pte William Coman. Also is there any mention of William Coman for any other period in the times? I apologise for asking so much but having access to a seacrhable database like the Times is too incredible to pass up.

regards.

Tom Burnell

Many thanks for your help Paul. Greatly appreciated.

Paul,

I'd welcome any infoon Lt Col Thomas Ridgway DSO, MC & bar 1/4th South Lancashire Regiment. He was a solicitor in Warrington, Lancashire.

Thanks to Paul for 3 hits out of 3! (He must be a sniper...)

Bernard Lewis

Guest KELLYBROD

Dear Paul

Could I trouble you for a look up.

Tom John Smart killed 23/4/1917 Arras Sector 1/Norfolks

Thanks in advance

Kelly

Paul,

when you get a chance could you please look for an obituary on the following Officer:

Lieutenant Charles Pearson Joseph Brooke

1st Battalion Wiltshire Regiment

Killed in action 03/09/16

Many thanks,

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul,

Would it be possible to look up the Court Martial of Lt E.H. Gooch 1/4th Lincolns, published in the Times on 1st February 1916 please.

Regards,

Steve.

Paul:

Was wondering if you might have a chance to look up two brothers KIA WW1.

One was my grandmothers 1st husband-the other his younger brother!

Pte.Charles Thomas Dolman #10419 15th Bat. Lancashire Fusiliers-KIA 11-7-1917.

Pte. Frank Dolman #17923 15th Bat.Lancashire Fusiliers-KIA July 1-1916.

Doing a lot of family research, but am living here in the States!

Thank you in advance!

gordon

Paul, would it be possible to look up any references to troops from FIJI probably Fiji Platoon of KRRC, and Fiji Labour Corps,

also Ratu Josefa (Joseph) L V Sukuna- French Foreign legion

Christine

Am still working through these and other personally received requests, so replies will come in due course. Keep 'em coming (slowly and steadily....)