Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Times

Paul Hodges

I now have online access to the full text of The Times - better even than the CDROM which many libraries have, particularly in its searching.

I can also get quite a lot of stuff (mainly journal articles) accessible through the ATHENS scheme.

Paul,

Could I trouble you to lookup Blair Swannell please. He was a rugby international for British Lions in 1899, and later for Australia after he emigrated. He was killed in action on Gallipoli 25 April 1915.

Yes, it does appear to have casualty lists (more often, rolls of honour).

Not much on Blair Swannell:

It lists a Capt BJ Swannell, 35th Batt. I.Y., as returning from South Africa on the Orotava, Dec 1902, but I don't suppose that's your man.

Am surprised he doesn't crop up on rugby reports more.

Oh yes Paul; that's my man alright. In a short but action-packed life he did many things, and serving with the Bucks Imperial Yeomanry in the Boer War was just one of them.

Is it possible to tell me which dates he is mentioned? We have The Times on microfilm in the Central Library, but ploughing through without rough dates is a long process.

Many Thanks

Kate

Paul

I read your posting with great interest. As it would be unreasonable for me to ask you to look for my area of interest - it would take you too long to look for it! Would it be possible to let us have some more information on your posting?

Am I right in thinking there is a CD-Rom with copies of The Times which covers the WW1 period?

Paul,

I too have a question regarding what is covered etc, I am trying to get info regarding Forestier-Walker and his obituary 27th Jan 1939. I have e-mailed the archive section of the times but no answer yet, is this sort of thing covered in your info or just WW1 era.

regards

Arm.

Starting with Kate's: Refs to BI (sometimes J?) Swannell

As a cadet on The Worcester Training Ship winning Sir George Chamber's prize for steam and naval architecture: Monday 4th August 1890 p5.

Rugby matches (brief mentions, presume it is him as listed as a Northampton player): Thursday 4th November 1897 p11 & Thursday 18th Novemebr 1897 p11, Friday 10th December 1897 p7

Troops returning home article as mentioned above: Monday 22nd December 1902 p10

Ivor: Do feel free to ask for particular queries; there is a Cd-Rom of The Times which is very similar to this online database I use (through being a postgrad student) - i.e complete text 1785-1985. However, apparently the search facilities are better online. Most major public libraries should have it.

Arm: Have emailed you relevant PDFs of pages (I hope). Seems he got two obits no less, 24th & 27th.

Paul,

Could I trouble you for a lookup , I am looking for an obituary for Maj Alfred Cooper Bn 1896 Islington, England died Inverness early to mid 1970s.

Thanks

Alan

Paul,

I would be interested on the obituaries (if they exist) of any officers killed on HMS Vanguard, 9 July 1917, specifically Captain James Douglas Dick RN.

Thanks in advance.

Alan: Only sizeable obit. in the 70s is for a Alfred Egerton Cooper, Captain in the Artist's Rifle in WWI but the dates/places are wrong, so don't think he's your man.

Signals: Very short I'm afraid: Tuesday July 17 1917 p1:

DIED OF WOUNDS: DICK - Killed by an explosion in H.M.S. Vanguard on the night of 9th July, CAPTAIN JAMES DOUGLAS DICK, R.N., son of sir James N. Dick, K.C.B., R.N., and Lady Dick of Putney, and Bembridge, Isle of Wight, in his 46th year.

There is a short article on the loss of the Vanguard on July 14th which list all deaths and the two survivors which I can email to you.

Alan: Only sizeable obit. in the 70s is for a Alfred Egerton Cooper, Captain in the Artist's Rifle in WWI but the dates/places are wrong, so don't think he's your man.

Signals: Very short I'm afraid: Tuesday July 17 1917 p1:

DIED OF WOUNDS: DICK - Killed by an explosion in H.M.S. Vanguard on the night of 9th July, CAPTAIN JAMES DOUGLAS DICK, R.N., son of sir James N. Dick, K.C.B., R.N., and Lady Dick of Putney, and Bembridge, Isle of Wight, in his 46th year.

There is a short article on the loss of the Vanguard on July 14th which list all deaths and the two survivors which I can email to you.

Paul,

Thanks for the look-up and the kind offer but by chance I managed to buy a copy of the 14 July edition of The Times on Ebay a couple of years ago.

However on ship's casualty lists, if The Times ran them for HMS OPAL and HMS NABOROUGH, collided and crashed on rocks off Orkney in Jan 1918 - then you may help solve a mystery concerning casualty figures.

Sigs

I would appreciate info on:

Harold Wightman Benson, died post 1930.

Thomas O.Marden, died 1953 (?)

John Higson Hayes, still alive in 1930's

Many thanks if you can provide any info (photos especially of interest)

Bernard Lewis

Hi Paul

Whilst scrolling through your times collection if you come across an entry for a Robert Tucker wounded in France and lost a leg, it would be before Sept 1916 as he was home and sired a child that month. He was in the army, I have no other details, he is extremely elusive.

Let me know if you sight anything.

Regards Christina

Paul, what are the requirements for accessing the ATHENS scheme??

If I enroll as a student (evening course), do you know if I can use their facilities....??

Paul.

I am interested in when this man died, if there is an obit' to him that would be excellent.

Ernest Costain Clegg, born on December 26, 1876, in Birmingham, England, was a student at the Birmingham School of Art. Around 1905, Clegg became a professional cartographer. In 1909, Clegg was retained by Tiffany and Co. in New York City as a special designer, illuminator, and heraldry artist, where he worked until the outbreak of World War I. Having served with the 7th (S) Battalion of the Bedfordshire Regiment, he returned to New York after the Armistice and set up a studio on East 48th Street. He is best known for a Map Showing the Overland and Overseas Flights of Charles A. Lindbergh [New York: The John Day Co., 1928]; a set of English county or shire maps in the Muriel H. Perry Collection at the Library of Congress, Geography and Maps Section; and a 1942 American map naming 169 rivers [Cleveland Public Library]. In 1932, he produced for the Washington Cathedral a map commemorating the bicentenerary of George Washington, titled "Washington, D.C. and Surrounding 100 Mile Area. " In 1944, Clegg returned to England and lived in Bournemouth. The date and place of his death is not recorded but he produced a scroll commemorating the end of WW2.

Just for interest sakes I have attached one of his works.

Very many thanks for your kind offer.

John.

post-14-1077364665.jpg

Paul,

Many thanks for the help with Blair Swannell, which has saved much ploughing through the badly microfilmed index in the library. I am surprised he doesn't warrant a mention during WW1.

Could I trouble you for another one please? A lady this time. One of my entertainers - Lena Ashwell.

Thankyou again

Kate

Hi Paul,

could you please look for a private Claude George of the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry.

He died in dec 1918 of Spanish flu in Prague. His funeral there was described as being lavish so he may have merited a mention.

fingers crossed

thanks in advance

Lesley

Hi Paul,

Researching the Commanding Officer of the 4th Battalion Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, Lt-Colonel J.L Swainson. He took command on the 25th June 1916 and was killed at Guillemont on the Somme on the 8th/9th August 1916.

He may be described as being of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry.

Thanks in advance for any info you may find.

Anthony

If it is at all possible could you 'cut and paste' the 'Times' report of the 36th(Ulster Division) action at Thiepval on July 1, 1916. I am aware that it will be mostly propaganda but there is a reference to 'The Times' acccount in my home town paper and I would like to see it. I assume it was published fairly soon after the events.

Thanks in advance.

Shall work through all these over the next few days, folks!

In answer to Racing's question, I get ATHENS access as a part-time student at Birkbeck College, Univ of London. I think all universities subscribe and so should most FE Colleges that run degree-level course, but I believe this is variable. There are other routes too - apparently all NHS staff should be able to get access (to look at medical journals...).

Paul,

I am in the process of getting a 1914 Star trio to 7885 L.Cpl. S. Else, 2/Worc. Regt. (first name Samuel I think). Apparently the former owner had found a reference in The Times to the effect that Else had been sent to hospital in the UK 1 Oct.,1914 as a result of wounds suffered on 14 Sept., 1914 (the Aisne). He ended up receiving the Silver War Badge and being discharged on 31 Jan.,1915 so this seems to match an early wound or injury. Confirmation would verify eligibility for the clasp to his star (issue of which is not mentioned on his medal index card)

Any chance of you checking out L.Cpl. Else?

Paul,

Could you please check to see if there is any mention of Gerald Featherstone Knight, especially an obit. He died at 82 Eaton Square, London, on 30 October, 1919.

Thanks

IanC