Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Times

Paul Hodges

Times 16-8-1918

SOTHERON ESTCOURT - Killed in action on the 8th August, ARTHUR CHARLES SOTHERON ESTCOURT, M.C., LIEUT. RAF, youngest son of the Rev. E.W. Sotheron Estcourt, of Estcourt, Glos. and Rector of Long Newnton, Wilts, aged 24.

The Times 24-8-1918

post-6536-1136803137.jpg

I think that's as good a summary as I've seen for a junior officer.

(There is also reference to the birth of a nephew(?) (23.10.1918 at Lausanne Switzerland, to the wife of Captain T E Sotheron estcourt, Royal Scots Greys, a son) and the engagement of his sister, Margaret Alice, to Major Ernest Rokeby Collins, DSO, East Lancs Reg't, in December 1918.

Also:

London Gazette 26-9-1916

Awarded Military Cross

Temp. 2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) Arthur Charles Sotheron Estcourt, Glouc. R.

For conspicuous gallantry in action. He fought his battery with great effect under very heavy fire during the attack, dispersing many enemy bombing parties. He also knocked out a machine-gun which was holding up the advance of one of our bombing parties.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

London Gazette 10-12-1917

The undermentioned relinquish the actg. rank of Capt.: —

Temp. 2nd Lt. A. C. S. Estcourt, on ceasing to comd. a Trench Mortar Batt. 22nd Aug. 1917.

Steve.

Hello Paul, I am researching the career of Lt Col Henry Mostyn Owen. He married Hilda Mary Gunter in 1894 at Collingham, Near Leeds. He died on the 18.11.1927. I would be most grateful if you have a look to see if either of these events were reported in the Times. Thanks. Regards, Ron

The Times 21-11-1927

MOSTYN OWEN: On Nov 18, 1927 at Hambleton House, Malton, Yorkshire, COLONEL HENRY MOSTYN OWEN, C.B., M.V.O., late Carabiniers and King's Dragoon Guards, the dearly loved husband of Hilda Mostyn Owen, aged 69. Cremation at Lawnswood tomorrow (Tuesday). Funeral at Collingham on Wednesday, 2.30 pm. No flowers, by request.

The Times 22-9-1894

Marriages

MOSTYN OWEN : GUNTER. On the 18th inst., at Collingham Church, Yorkshire, by the Rev. H. Molesworth St. Aubyn assisted by the Rev. G. Beckwith Vicar of Collingham. Henry Mostyn Owen, Carabiniers, eldest son of the late Charles Mostyn-Owen of Iffley, Oxfordshire to HILDA MARY third daughter of COLONEL GUNTER, M.P., of Wetherby Grange, Yorkshire and 85 Eaton Square.

The Times 21-10-1895

On the 18th Inst. at Seaforth, the wife of Major. H. Mostyn-Owen, the Carabiniers, a son.

Steve.

Steve, Thanks for your help re: Mostyn Owen, I am amazed at the speed of your reply. I owe you one, I hope I can repay the favour in the future. Thanks again. Regards, Ron

I'd greatly appreciate a look-up for a reference to a Thomas R Worthington, Manchester Regiment.

Unless I am going completely loopy I appear to have lost an extract, dating from sometime 1920-23. It will refer to the cancellation of a previous notice which announced Worthington's commission. The previous notice, which I would also appreciate, will be from around 1915.

I'm sure it must have been the Times as I can't find it in the London Gazette.

Worthington is my main CWGC uncommemorated man and having hit a brick wall with CWGC/MoD, I'm assembling all my paperwork and going to ask my MP to take up the matter.

John

John,

These two to start:

Gazette 22-2-1918

Manch. B.

Temp. Capt. (attd.) T. R. Worthington, M.C., relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health caused by wounds, and is granted the hon. rank of Capt. 23 Feb. 1918.

Gazette 10-7-1917

Manch. R.

Temp. Capt. T. R. Worthington, M.C., from a Serv. Bn., to be temp. Capt. (attd.). 2 Mar. 1917, with seniority 25 Apr. 1915.

Leave it with me.

Oh. Do you have a middle name to go with the "R" initial?

Steve.

Don't worry I've got the name:

Gazette 1-1-1917

Awarded MC

Temp. Capt. Thomas Ryland Worthington, Manch. R.

Gazette 25-3-1915

The Manchester Regiment.

22nd Battalion (7th City) —

The undermentioned to be temporary Second Lieutenants : —

Thomas Ryland Worthington. Dated 4th February, 1915.

Now just to find the others...

Steve.

Two wedding annoouncements:

Can't post attachments at present. I'll try these later.

Jun 15 and Aug 5 1922 (Wedding on Aug 10 1922)

Also, The Times 19th January 1920

London Gazette 16-1-1920

6th (?) battalion Manchester Regiment.

The announcement regarding Sgt. T. R. Worthington which appeared in the Gazette of 11 August 1915 is cancelled.

That's a differenet Thomas R Worthington!

Back to the Drawing Board...

Steve.

Here we go:

LG 16-1-1920

6th Bn., Manchester Regt.—The announcement regarding Serjt. Thomas Roughton Worthington which appeared in the Gazette of 11th Aug. 1915 is cancelled.

Steve.

Steve

The second is my man. He is Thomas Roughton Worthington.

This is where more of the cock-ups appear. The MoD said it was prepared to recognise Thomas Ryland W. However, CWGC and I knew that he is not the man. Not least cos he didnt die until 1949, was a different age to my man, was commissioned in the UK in February 1915 (when my man was in Egypt) and into the 22nd Battalion Mancs which was never at Gallipoli and didnt go overseas until November 1915.

Which suggests to me that the MoD does a pretty crap job at this recognition lark. Which is why I am now involving my MP. And having not only to prove that my man was well dead at Gallipoli but that Ryland wasnt him. And who said research was easy?

A copy of the Times extract would be brill. I'll go back and trawl the particular editions of the LG. Big virtual drink I owe you. Ta.

John

The original entry:

LG 11-8-1915

6th Battalion, The Manchester Regiment; the

undermentioned to be Second Lieutenants.

Dated 12th August, 1915: —

Serjeant Thomas Rough ton Worthington.

Serjeant Frank Crossley.

Serjeant John Bennett.

Serjeant William Braithwaite.

Private Archibald Bowers-Taylor.

Not seen to many dead man get married. Well, not unless the Stag Night was the night before. I'll post extracts tonight via webhost unless Forum attachments get cured.

The links should take you straight to the entries, John. :)

Steve.

P.S. Notice that innocent little space in Roughton foiling the Gazette search. grrr.

Hi John,

An off-topic request, but can you look up whether CM Bowra had any articles published in the Times in November 1945 and February 1956?

Is it possible to search on author/by-line?

many thanks

regards

doogal

Steve

Thanks, mate

And with the Gazette giving the full names of both Worthingtons it is conclusive proof that they are different people.

After the misidentification by the MoD earlier this year I wrote to CWGC in August and early December (no response to either of them, which p**ses me off not a little).

The question I posed to them was "Am I right in believing that there is (1) now an acceptance that the Sgt Worthington referred to in the War Diary was, in fact, a casualty and (2) is not included in the Debt of Honour Register and, therefore (3), the only open question is his correct identification".

I rather suspect that, seeing as there is no other reasonable candidate to my man, the MoD doesnt want to hold its hands up to getting it wrong (so completely and with such ease) and hopes I will get bored and go away. I won't.

John

Doogal,

It's a plain text search so no searching by authot/by-line.

127 articles with Bowra in the text between 1945 and 1956.

Are you looking for a specific article?

Steve.

steve,

does the times mention 8693 l/sgt / c.s.m. harry hoare d.c.m. 1st and 5th northamptonshire regiment?

thanks

enoch

The Times is a little tricky to search for ORs, even CSMs.

I have, however transcribed about 3500 names off the Times casualty lists for the Northamptonshire Regiment (probably about 25% of the total). The Times Lists effectively cover the period Oct 1914-Mar 1917 for wounded, etc. He does not appear as wounded, gassed, etc. (the main periods I have covered so far are August-Dec 1915 and July to October 1916)

As you also seem well versed in the Gazette, I assume you've found his DCM?

Steve.

yes, steve i have his gazette, just trying to to get a fuller picture on him!

thanks for looking for me

he is also mentioned in the history of the 12th division! or so i am told!

enoch

Hi Steve,

Could you please look up for me John Pratt Swain,Lt or possibly Capt Leicestershire Regiment,I have the L.G. details for his DCM with the Leicestershire Yeomanry in 1915,and also his M.C. with the 2nd Leiceters in 1916,I'am looking for any biographical details the Times might have.

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Stu

Biographical details are only usually printed for obituaries. I don't think he was killed?

One or two bits on promotions:

LG 27-7-1915

To be temp. 2/Lt 10-7-1915

LEIC R. - Sqd. Sgt. Mjr. J. P. Swain from Leic. Yeo.

LG 30-8-1916

To be temp. Capt.:- Temp. Lt. J. P. Swain (from 7-1-1916)

LG 30-9-1919

Labour Corps

Temp. Capt. J. P. Swain relinquishes the actg. rank of major on ceasing to be emplyd. as Comdt. Agric. Centre (5-9-1919)

He was still alive in 1935 when he and his wife are included on a list of wedding guests.

Sorry that there isn't any more,

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Would you please be kind enough to look up Edward Bertram Michaelis. He served with the Lancashire Fusiliers during the Great War and later, during WW2 with the Lancashire (East) Cadet Force. He died late 1972. Any information/ biographical details would be most appreciated. Thanks. Regards, Ron

Can't find him in the Times. The search engine is rather hit and miss, to be honest (more miss than hit).

Couple of gazette entries:

LG 8-8-1917

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

Lancashire Fusiliers

2nd Lt. E. B. Michaelis to have precedence as 2nd Lt. as from 29th Apr. 1915.

LG 10-11-1920

8th Bn., Lancashire Fus.—.Capt. W. Sharratt, late R.E., to. be Lt., with precedence as from 1st July 1917 next above Lt. E. B. Michaelis,

and to relinquish the rank of Capt. 8th July 1920.

(Substituted for that which appeared in the Gazette of 13th Oct. 1920.)

LG 2-5-1921

8th (D.F.) Bn.—

To be temp. Lts.: —

Edward Bertram Michaelis. 10 Apr. 1921.

LG 17-5-1921

Lan. Fus.

8th (D.F.) Bn.—

The undermentioned temp. Lts. to be temp. Capts. : —

E. B. Michaelis. 10 Apr. 1921.

LG 14-8-1923

8th Bn., Lan. Fus.—Lt. E. B. Michaelis resigns his commn., 15th Aug. 1923, and is granted the rank of Capt.

LG 8-10-1943

SPECIAL LIST.

E. Lancs. Comm.

The undermentioned to be granted commns. in the rank of 2nd Lts. for service with the Army Cadet Force: —

25th Nov. 1942:—

E. B. Michaelis (2321)

LG 17-11-1950

The KING has been graciously pleased to confer The Cadet Forces Medal upon the following officers of the Cadet Forces : —

ARMY CADET FORCE.

Lancashire (East).

A/Lt.-Col. E. B. MICHAELIS, O.B.E. (2321).

LG 13-3-1951

Lancashire (East).

The undermentioned 2nd Lts. (War Subs. Lts.), from T.A. Res. of Offrs., Spec. List (for service with A.Cdt.F.), to be Lts., 1st Apr. 1950, with seniority as stated: —

Edward Bertram MICHAELIS (2321), 25th Nov. 1942.

LG 15-2-1952

Lancashire (East).

Lt. E. B. MICHAELIS, O.B.E. (2321), resigns his commn., 1st Dec. 1951, and is granted the hon. rank of Lt.-Col.

Apologies if you've already got this info.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

Many thanks for your help. I only had a couple of the London Gaz entries. Thanks again for your rapid response, it's a big plus. Regards, Ron