Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

You can see the front line matching the outline of the current copse. Remarkable

Roger

Here is another aerial comparison. This one shows the area of the Mill road near Thiepval, scene of the West Yorks failed attack on the 3rd September 1916. Google view to the left, the 1916 trench aerial on the right

Andy

post-10939-0-48613500-1359795747_thumb.j

Here is an overlay of the Vesuvius crater at Havrincourt 1917

Andy

post-10939-0-07437800-1359884929_thumb.j

Good question egbert, not so sure . But it was blown to close off road access to Havrincourt,(as with other approach roads) as part of the Hindenburg line defence

I see, my guess is that it was blown as the allied army became a threat, leaving it open in the short term to enable the Germans to move in and out of the line easier

Thank you for your help egbert.....can we see troops moving on the road in the aerial or is a horse team?

Here is an aerial comparison of the tree lined road leading to Havrincourt.....it looks as though quite a few units took a short cut over the fields

Andy

post-10939-0-76933100-1359903024_thumb.j

Morning all.....don't think I have posted this one before.......... Beaucourt Road...1916....1930s....2012

Andy

post-10939-0-10530700-1360392786_thumb.j

Thanks Mike, spurs me on to do more and hoping to see more from others too

The High wood view is from sometime around the 18th July 1916

In the meantime here is a view of Bullecourt [the original view from the Australian War Memorial site]

Andy

post-10939-0-00690800-1360431979_thumb.j

Hi Andy

Thats perfectly matched.

A very special place, lots of Yorkshire boys still there.

Keep up the good work

Richard

Thanks again. That's great, I was wondering how damaged the wood was when the 6th Black Watch attacked it, at the end of July 1916. Your photograph tells me in no uncertain terms. Thanks again for all your very interesting 'Then & Now's' they are fascinating.

Mike

Thank you for your kind comments. Here is an angled view of Beaumont Hamel and the Newfoundland memorial park area......and best regards to the Forum members for helping to identify 1916 shot

post-10939-0-23134500-1360505597_thumb.j

Morning all, not too sure if I have posted this one before but here is a comparison for the Zonnebeke road....more to follow

Andy

post-10939-0-76834800-1361002998_thumb.j

Excellent as usual Andy

Roger

Thank you Roger....here is Railway wood just down the road. I have been here a couple of times,an amazing view with the craters standing out in those dreadful battlefield conditions

Andy

post-10939-0-17541200-1361030044_thumb.j

And still visible.

Roger

What a lovely day.....got my orders, so taking her indoors out for lunch. But in the meantime here is a comparison of the St Eloi canal, a good view of the Bluff and part of the ravine area

Andy

post-10939-0-60284700-1361101748_thumb.j

I have to express my admiration for this thread. Besides the evoctive nature of such sites as they were and have survived to today, I'm particularly impressed by the detective work in a previous thread relating to Gipfelstollen, in which he found the sign shown in two period photographs 400 metres away. I have a grade 7 class tomorrow on glaciers and will be referring to it (I'm an history teacher, so any excuse to teach something I actually care about...)

If anyone's interested, I have a website of then-and-now photos and amateur Photoshop attempts albeit relating to remaining Nazi sites in Germany; living outside Dachau helps in that regard: Traces of Evil

Used street view to try to respond to Havrincourt's flickr appeal to find comparative views of towns depicted on old postcards.

Her's of Mailly-Maillet; not perfect, as I was using the church as a point of reference which has no doubt changed over time whilst the buildings leading to it not so much

myphoto.jpeg

Thank you Roger....here is Railway wood just down the road. I have been here a couple of times,an amazing view with the craters standing out in those dreadful battlefield conditions

Andy

So is cambridge road the one going up in your photo left hand side

Biff

What a lovely day.....got my orders, so taking her indoors out for lunch. But in the meantime here is a comparison of the St Eloi canal, a good view of the Bluff and part of the ravine area

Andy

that is a great image comparison.

Mick

Fantastic site Keir, some superb comparisons on there, a lot of detective work has gone into finding the locations and correct views

A very nice shot of the Mailly-Maillet too ,thank you for adding to the thread. I am always looking forward to other comparisons on this and other posts

Thank you Biff and Mick for your kind comments...more views to add this weekend

Andy