Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Then and Now .....90 years ago and today

Havrincourt

Here goes then:

c4d9ed5b3d99a6cfa5ed6cc1ab65521b_f14.jpg

4f7bd944dc44064c98f23f6506f1146f_c9e.jpg

hed First is from 22 March 1918, showing the wreckage of DH.6 s/n C7663, which crashed at Yatesbury, killing Captain Albert Higgs Vinson (21) and 2/Lt Edward Leadbetter Gray (21). Both were from No.13 Training Squadron. The second photo was taken just on 95 years later.

Superb comparison...it is great to see other contributions being added.........Thank you

Andy

Here goes then:

c4d9ed5b3d99a6cfa5ed6cc1ab65521b_f14.jpg

4f7bd944dc44064c98f23f6506f1146f_c9e.jpg

hed First is from 22 March 1918, showing the wreckage of DH.6 s/n C7663, which crashed at Yatesbury, killing Captain Albert Higgs Vinson (21) and 2/Lt Edward Leadbetter Gray (21). Both were from No.13 Training Squadron. The second photo was taken just on 95 years later.

Merge1_zps5aa09015.jpg

Ken, very nice

Vectisitch...something like this....a little out of line around Surbiton Villas, but you get the idea

Andy

post-10939-0-61958000-1383393539_thumb.j

After several visits to identify where this image was taken I stumbled across the location by accident in September 2012.

It is 250 yards south of the east side of Montauban village on the Somme

Chris CPGW did a wonderful job on colourisation last year and as such it deserves to be on a Classic Thread IMO.

post-34757-0-53678300-1383396187_thumb.j

Original image and overlay

post-34757-0-27273900-1383396297_thumb.j

Chris CPGW did a wonderful job on colourisation last year and as such it deserves to be on a Classic Thread IMO.

Amazing!

When I initially looked at the photograph, I thought it was a reconstruction using re-enactors. I wish I had the skill to produce such work.

Sepoy

Amazing!

When I first looked at the photograph, I initially thought it was a reconstruction using re-enactors. I wish I had the skill to produce such work.

Sepoy

Exactly the same thought occured to me. Amazing is the word, and having realised the reality almost ghostly; it makes me think of the words from the Devonshires Cemetery at Mametz and Lord Plumer's words at the dedication of the Menin Gate. And praise indeed given some of the examples you've posted above.

Pete.

Exactly the same thought occured to me. Amazing is the word, and having realised the reality almost ghostly; it makes me think of the words from the Devonshires Cemetery at Mametz and Lord Plumer's words at the dedication of the Menin Gate. And praise indeed given some of the examples you've posted above.

Pete.

Could not agree more, an astonishing and arresting image. A wonderfully effective piece of remembrance

David

A photo of our Boezinge church and village square, taken from one of the ruined houses on the north side, in 1915, and probably before 22 April (German gas attack). There is a boy or young man standing, and after the gas attack the civilians had to leave the village and find safer places more west in France.

Aurel

post-92-0-08862400-1383562229_thumb.jpg

Amazing!

When I initially looked at the photograph, I thought it was a reconstruction using re-enactors. I wish I had the skill to produce such work.

Sepoy

Exactly what I thought! Great job!

Roel

Pleased that the church has been rebuilt.

Our Cathedral in Christchurch, NZ is still in ruins after the earthquake in 2011 and it appears that it will be rebuilt in a different style once the court cases are finished.. So sad.

Tony

Our Cathedral in Christchurch, NZ is still in ruins after the earthquake in 2011 and it appears that it will be rebuilt in a different style once the court cases are finished.. So sad.

Slightly off topic, but how did the Memorials and Regimental Colours fare in the Cathedral during the earthquake. Are they going to be replaced in the new Cathedral?

Sepoy

• 3 months later...

Not been on the Forum for a while... to keep the thread alive, here is an aerial comparison of Vimy

Andy

post-10939-0-95420400-1393701710_thumb.j

Somehow I missed this thread despite it being around. I am very pleased to have seen the results of so many of the talents within the forum. The combined threads have created an interesting twist - it has recreated a forum history in its own right. Quite amazing.

Thank you to all who have contributed.

Jonathan

Hello Vectisitch...see post 882 !

Andy :-)

May I suggest starting a new topic?

Roger

Slightly off topic, but how did the Memorials and Regimental Colours fare in the Cathedral during the earthquake. Are they going to be replaced in the new Cathedral?

Sepoy

Sepoy

Sorry for late response. I had missed your question.

Although the cathedral is still standing and exposed to the elements I understand that a tunnel of steel pipes was constructed to allow safe access inside. Valuable and historical items were salvaged through this. Not sure about wall plaques etc.

They are still arguing about it being saved and repaired to its former glory. The Church have turned down these requests and want a combination of an old & new cathedral built on the site.

The central city no longer appeals to me and I have no desire to go back in there. The rebuild is slow and its a ghost town with empty building sites.

Tony

After several visits to identify where this image was taken I stumbled across the location by accident in September 2012.

It is 250 yards south of the east side of Montauban village on the Somme

Original image and overlay

Thank you for posting these amazing photographs. I have seen this image so many times, in books, on the cover of books and on the internet. It is great to see it again, especially with the colouration. A fantastic job!

I have a couple of then and now books showing images of France and Belgium, one produced in the 70s but the other one was published in the early 30s between the wars. Both books equally interesting for different reasons.